English teachers should teach taboo words to students.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

User avatar
Chet Baker
Gold Member
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:59 am
Location: Hong Kong
Contact:

Postby Chet Baker » Wed May 16, 2007 2:45 am

I think the teacher should tell their students what is taboo word, so that students can avoid to use these words in public.

intboy
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:34 pm
Location: China

unnecessary

Postby intboy » Wed May 16, 2007 5:42 pm

I don't think the teachers need to teach those ,as the students will learn those around their life ,and teachers must teach something more useful, I think.

User avatar
riverclarin
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Postby riverclarin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:06 am

subway wrote:why not? i think a students have to know and also they should not use. as you know, many movies show kind of those words until became common.


Why would anyone want those words to become common? Are there not enough words and phrases in the language already?

My advice would be that one should learn how to speak and write the language first before one starts learning nasty words. They are of little use anywhere apart from on a street-corner with people of limited vocabulary.

User avatar
riverclarin
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Re: Teach them.

Postby riverclarin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:09 am

Janette wrote:I remember when I first came to America. I was trying to practice English at the mall. The sales woman did not like me and she called me a "stupid foreign ----." (I remember the last word she said but I don't want to type it :oops: ).

It's not you who needs to learn English my friend, it's the rude sales woman. :roll:

User avatar
InLove
Gold Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:20 pm
Location: VietNam

Postby InLove » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:55 am

The world needs to have some diffirent kinds of men.:)

User avatar
Bambang
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:26 am
Location: Jakarta Indonesia

Postby Bambang » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:25 pm

To me, there are no taboo words. What really exist are dirty words, nasty words or the like.

shokin wrote:Humour is necessary. Let us break the taboo !


I agree with you that humor is necessary. We need it so that our life will not be boring. But I don't think that it's a good idea to make a joke by using dirty words.

There are some comedians use dirty words to attract the audience. On the other side, there are some who don't use dirty words to attract the audience. To me, the later is much better that the first one. And based on the reality, the first one, sooner or later, will be left by the audience.

Dirty words are not good to be used by comedians let alone by teachers. In my opinion, teachers shouldn't teach dirty words to students. Period!!!

The function of a teacher is not only to transfer the knowledge but also being a role model for the students. What would happen if many teachers used dirty words in their daily conversations. What a nightmare!!!

chet baker wrote: I think the teacher should tell their students what is taboo word, so that students can avoid to use these words in public


Dirty words do not need to be taught at all. If you want your students to speak properly just teach them proper words and sentences. Then they’ll get used to those words and they'll spontaneously use them. On the other hand, if you teach them dirty words, then they will be familiar with those words and the consequence is: they'll spontaneously use them in their conversations. As we all know that the more we pronounce a word the more spontaneous we use it. That's why, in learning a language, we are suggested to read words or sentences repeatedly so that we'll spontaneously use them in our daily conversations.

My friend you don't need to worry that they will not know dirty words. They will get them in their life soon. As we all know that children are very curious on dirty words. So Event though you don't teach them dirty words, usually they will find the words themselves.

So, in this case, I agree with intboy who says :

intboy wrote: I don't think the teachers need to teach those, as the students will learn those around their life, and teachers must teach something more useful, I think.


My last point is : to speak properly, all we need to do is to practice saying good words and sentences. If we don't know bad or dirty words, that's even better so that our sentences will not be contaminated with dirty words.

So, teaching dirty words? No way.

nightwish
Silver Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:00 am
Location: Venus

Postby nightwish » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:57 am

English teachers should teach taboo words to students.
What do you think?


Definitely I disagree with that.
School it's an academic institution/organization and it's not appropriate to teach this taboo words to students. Usually we learn this words from movies or daily speaking but sure not in the school. And I see it impolite thing.

User avatar
Krisi
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3796
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner
Location: house

Postby Krisi » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:58 am


NO! For what? Students are already learning this outside.

lady
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:48 am

Postby lady » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:09 am

yes of course because everbody has to learn all things about english this even be taboo:)

ahmedshaima
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:03 am

Postby ahmedshaima » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:25 am

my opinion is that TABOO should be taught not for our education, but if we come across such words from others.. that we will be known what the sayer of these words technically means...

it is better to be aware rather ignorant,..

at the same talk, if we learn such words, we are not insisted to use them, it depends on thr person himself.... maybe we will use it with enemies :lol: if we are compelled.

User avatar
nino
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:20 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: English teachers should teach taboo words to students.

Postby nino » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:56 pm

sometimes i feel myself in taboo game!!i think my teacher is enjoying when i am talking :) because speaking english is so difficult for me

fadl
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:05 am
Status: English Teacher

Re: English teachers should teach taboo words to students.

Postby fadl » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:52 am

I think at limited cases

Oleg
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:08 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: English teachers should teach taboo words to students.

Postby Oleg » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:59 pm

I don’t think that school is an appropriate place for learning taboo words, and that is why they are taboo.
The teacher should give you grammar and learn you use it properly. For the rest of material there are a lot of dictionaries and books by hand. Don’t make your teacher blush.

JaneEyre
Silver Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:58 am
Status: English Learner

Re: English teachers should teach taboo words to students.

Postby JaneEyre » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:59 am

learners of a foreign language learn the bad words before anything else because they hear them used in a way or the other especially in movies. i have a cousin of mine who used such words before even learning how to build a sentence, when i asked her who tuaght her such words, she said ' my friends at school say it'.
this is not to say that learners will be fully aware of every taboo word in a language because you know they are learners.

today's generation don't need anybody to teach them that because they learn it themselves.

User avatar
Krisi
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3796
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner
Location: house

Re:

Postby Krisi » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:38 pm

Krisi wrote:NO! For what? Students are already learning this outside.


words normally develop/transform outside the school so teachers should use the proper words to use in school where students are expected to finish there degree with a well rounded or balanced personality.

I personally think those taboo words are only used by people who are already close to each other so, for me it's not really important whether we learn it or not. What is important is to be able to express our opinion properly to promote greater understanding between each other.

User avatar
duytrung
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:59 pm
Status: Other

Re: English teachers should teach taboo words to students.

Postby duytrung » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:08 pm

When I learnt E at school, I wasn't taught. But I myself had to look up taboos because I meet different kinds of people and they asked me about the taboos.

User avatar
emresenoglu
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:34 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: English teachers should teach taboo words to students.

Postby emresenoglu » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:52 am

It's better to learn as much as taboo words, from anywhere....

Ninaleeing
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:50 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: English teachers should teach taboo words to students.

Postby Ninaleeing » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:25 pm

In my opinion, English teachers may teach their students what taboos are so as to avoid offendng others or causing embarrassment, but I don't think they should teach taboo words in classrooms. Why?

Just as TalkingPoint clearly pointed out, "Taboo words are words used in bad language, such as "damn" or "tits." Hence, they are not appropriate to teach in classrooms. In fact, there is no need for them to teach such words. Students learn those words quite fast without teaching. To my surprise, they just know how to say them. Therefore, why bother to teach them taboo words, when there are so many other things to teach.

chinalin
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:19 am
Status: English Teacher

Re: English teachers should teach taboo words to students.

Postby chinalin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:28 am

I am an English teacher, and sometimes hear my students using 'taboo' words, or even just slightly inappropriate words. I do not think it is my job to teach these words, but as the students will hear them when watching movies, I feel that I need to let them know which words are OK to use in general conversation, and which are impolite, or even very rude.

The reason I do this, when the need arises, is because some years ago, I was getting my hair cut, and my hairdresser who speaks only very little English, told one of the girls who works in his salon to 'f*** off". I could not explain to him why he should not speak to her like this, because his English is not good enough, but later, I got a friend whose English is better, to go with me, to explain to him the meaning, and the reason to not use this expression in the salon.

He was terribly embarrassed, and apologized to me a lot. He had heard the expression while watching movies, and had no idea of the meaning, or that it is not considered polite language.

So, although I do not actively teach these words in class, I do try to make take advantage of an opportunity to point out that not all English words they may hear, particularly when watching movies, are polite, or even appropriate to use in general conversation.

adin
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:46 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: English teachers should teach taboo words to students.

Postby adin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:45 am

A good English teacher is supposed to tell his students that there are many English words that are also use in different situation like The taboo words. By telling the students, they will understand why people use those words and in what condition the words are spoken. That's it. It is like teaching religion. We teach good and bad sides of lives and we will never ask them to do the bad ones. They understand what should be done instead.


Return to “Talking Point Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests