Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Globalisation: is it good or bad?

Post by TalkingPoint »

Globalisation: is it good or bad?

What do YOU think?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JMD

Post by JMD »

i think is a good thing. at least it helps to make different cultures and countries work together. making a posible future of the whole world as one.

a lot of people here complain about other countries coming to get cheap labor and buying properties. But because of that people here have jobs (well paid or not at least they have one). and i wonder why they complain about the property, if they don't sell it, it would just be sitting there without giving profit of anykind.

in the culture side i now that the mixing of cultures might be a problem but the culture itself is what sometimes seperates people.
Nu

Post by Nu »

JMD wrote:i think is a good thing. at least it helps to make different cultures and countries work together. making a posible future of the whole world as one.
in the culture side i now that the mixing of cultures might be a problem but the culture itself is what sometimes seperates people.
I quite agree with u... i hope in fiture there won't be any boundaries on our maps...we all are passengers of the same ship... it's much easier to communicate with each other when there are no need of visa or e.t.c. Although everybody (and u mentioned it too) tells about possibility of escaping some features of every culture that make it unique if globalization takes place... from my point of view, it's not such a big problem it seems to be... what should be kept, I think, will be... and moreover, I suppose that not culture seperates us but misunderstanding and intolerance...this is a real problem...
JMD

Post by JMD »

ur right my friend, what should be kept it will be kept.... moral is the same everywhere, and bad things are the same everywhere too, regardless of the culture where they happen.

COME ON PEOPLE, POST SOMETHING (NOT "SOMETHING" BUT SOMETHING)
Lac

Post by Lac »

I think the globalisation is certainly a good thing that human needs to reach. Globalisation, to my humble opinion,is by no means the mix of different cultures with all its unique characteristics. One may reach an agreement after a lot of basic issues being previously come to terms. The globalisation itself means nothing unless it aims at the specific target beneficial to all countries involved.
Referring to the globalisation, we're immediately aware of sitting together for discussion,exchanging all matters given. Also, you're often heard about global strategy, global cooperation, yet never global culture,global civilization or race ..etc.
One of you, Russian friend, is quite right saying how we still have barriers of intolerance and misunderstanding. Globalisation means sitting together for some kind of cooperation based on certain conventional standard, namely most of misapprehension as well as distrust needed to be dodged.
I say that because we are often occupied by our prejudice resulting from our own subjective insights.
Reaching the globalisation, one should have a two-way view, more exactly, a view of multiple directions in which all of different ones could interact with each other.
Globalisation is not a hodge-podge of miscellaneous things in connection with religion, politic, dogma. On the contrary, it must be based on mutual respect, understanding and concession.
dungthumon

Post by dungthumon »

in fact , globalisation is fine in some ways . You can imagine someday everybody can make friends easily without the barrage of language .People in the world can travel everywhere and don't worry about comlicated procedures such as visa , passport .. etc . In other words , global economy will sharply develop that leads to non-apperance of war , poverty , pandemic . moreover , Everyone will live in an ideal and united society .
however , on the other hand , globalisation can also help crimes , terrorism increase highly unless the matter of security is entighted . Secondly , culture of variety of countries can be influenced little or much , that make features of them lost and turn the world into the boring place with similar cultures.For exmple , when Western culture comes into Asia , it changes considerably the life of this continent with the emergence of mini skirts , sexual images on the cover of the adult magaxines that was not accepted before by tradition .
In sum , globalisation is good or not depends much on the way people obtain and understand it.
serenella
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by serenella »

dungthumon wrote: culture of variety of countries can be influenced little or much , that make features of them lost and turn the world into the boring place with similar cultures.
That's the point in my opinion.
Globalisation is a good thing if it doesn't make the variety of cultures disappear. Every people has a real richness in their own cultural heritage which should be preserved.
Do you think we are able to live in globalised world without losing the peculiarity of our cultures?
Nu

Post by Nu »

why not ?
That's what i was talking about in my post... about possibility of globalisation in some particular areas such as money, territory... to help people move from place to place easily +)

what about other things...mmm don't u think that there will always be people keepings traditions and rules of their country ? +)
bigpotato

Post by bigpotato »

I think the globalisation is both beneficial and harmful.
The advantages of the globalization process can be seen in the development of the world recently. Many developing countries like China or India which lived poorly and saparately during the cold war have had fantastic changes to have very strong economy in the time of globalisation. That because these country has change their policy to be a good player in the globalisation: opened their market, broadened relationship among nations and stimulated investment from oversea. And that is what all multinational companies want. Many branches of the corporations have been opened in these countries to profit from the cheap labor costs or market - closed condition. That also means a lot of labors of these countries will be hired, there lives will be better. And the number of unemployed people and crimes decreases. It’s meaningful for the developing countries like China, the very potencial market with over billions of people. The huge profits which these companies could reach by enlarging market makes the non-stop competition among these companies. As the result, labors’ wages and product’s quality increase, the prices of products drop. So, it’s us, the custumers will benefits most. We’ll have more choices for our demand, and the companies must offer a lowest posible price and attractive services along with to win the heart of customer. For example, in the past, some companies of China was exclusive in distributing products, like clothes, food, the price was high, the quality was poor and the custemer-caring service was very bad, and it’s funny that people had done anything to buy these product because of the demands; and now that’s imposible for any company which want to survive to do that. And as the result, custumers becomes god. Another advantages is that by opening to foreign companies, the developing countries can get approach to the innovative technologies. That’s very important for the development of these countries, which have not enough facilities and methods to go forward. In the side of culture, the globalisation helps people in other countries contact eachother and learn from each other. Now we have more opportunities to travel or to study abroad to discover the world. :)

But the worst thing of the globalisation, as I think,is what it happens to the nations' cultures. I agree with the view that it make features of these cultures lost and turn the world into the boring place with similar cultures. Just imagine how boring the world is when every country has the same customs, everyone wear the same cloths, everything is the same. There's nothing to discover. Then people will never want to travel, too :( . The world's beauty lost. And that is what happening. I'll talk about football (I mean soccer :D), my favourite sport. In the past, each national team had its own style of playing. Brazil team played beautifully, Germany team played firmly, Netherlander played a tripping football, e.g. But now, you can see in the 2006 world cup, every team play a similar football :cry: . I'll say again that globalisation is natural. It's unavoidable even we want or not. Then let it be. So what I am going to do now is travel and travel a lot and admire the distinctive beauty of every part of the world, feel at ease. Just relax :D .
heart

Post by heart »

In my opinon ,, Good :) y 't?
I remmber my teacher who travel alot around the world
Evry day he tell us story about other country culture , food , people!
from Chaina to London to Arab countries many many many differents,
we should know , so that we didn't face problems,
crystalfrogw

Globalization! Accelerator of social progress......

Post by crystalfrogw »

Surely, globalization is a good thing and can't be stopped by the willing of us.
In fact globalization is a kind of accelerator of social progress.In the advancement of human beings,communication and melting of different nationalities play an important role.Only this kind of communication and and melting are speedened recently.Despite that sometimes this mixing brings about sufferings(eg, some civilization disappears, colony ) but in long-term, the result is good.
When we say globalization is not good in fact it is not the globalization itself bad, in fact what we are afraid of is cultural capitalism.But once we realize this point, we will try to advoid it.
A stong cultural should face ,accept and absorb other cultures bravely instead of avoiding them.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Globalization

Post by Bambang »

There are some advantages and disadvantages of globalization.

First, the advantages.
Internet is one of the products of globalization.
We all know that internet can broaden our horizon on a lot topics. This site ,for example, is a product of globalization. We can't deny that this site is very benefecial for us. We can communicate to others, share our ideas, make friends and do other positive things. Globalization also makes this world borderless. It means it's very easy for us to get information quickly as something is happening across the world.

But Globalization also has negative impacts, especially for poor or underdeveloped countries.
they are getting poor and poor due to the bad impact of globalization. For example, in trading sector. The products from developed countries are attacking the local products. The local ones can't compete with the imported ones both in the term of quality or pricing.

Another bad impact of globalization is that it can kill other countries' culture. I want to give one small example. When I was a kid, my friends and I used to play traditional games in my hometown. We used to communicate and help each other. In short, we had strong sense of togetherness. But now, the condition is totally different. we can't find kids there playing in the playing ground, flying kites, running around, laughing etc. Most of them are at their homes. The are playing video games, play station or watching tv in most of their time. They even don't know their neighbors' names, let alone to share to each other. The culture of togetherness and mutual assistance have disappeared from my village due to the attack of globalization.

So my point is, we all know that the globalization is something unavoidable and unstoppabel. All we have to do is to maximise the positive sides of it and minimise the negatives ones. Thank you. :)
javzm

Post by javzm »

If you lived in a competitive mind country globalization is really good, it gives you oportunities to grow not only in your country but in a foreign country.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

JMD wrote:ur right my friend, what should be kept it will be kept.... moral is the same everywhere, and bad things are the same everywhere too, regardless of the culture where they happen.

COME ON PEOPLE, POST SOMETHING (NOT "SOMETHING" BUT SOMETHING)

My friend, we are not talking about "something", aren't we?
basmla

Post by basmla »

hi all

In my opinion globlization has its two faces good and bad but that does not mean to close eyes about other countries and cultures. It deponds on the person himself if he or she has abitity to get benefit from other countries.
lady

Post by lady »

globalisation is good because it is improve us different culture and thinks i think it is good for everbody
Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Nanning »

We can understand each other, adn those English speaking ex-husbands or bachelors will come one after another to China for their girlfriends.
But few girls from developed world come to China for husbands,why is that?
dera

Post by dera »

but there is a bad effect becuse many young people one to know soon and they easly leave their custom and their attitude copy their idol so day by day our culture stolen by foregin contry .
sjujim

Re: Globalisation: is it good or bad?

Post by sjujim »

Globalization is definitely bad. I know it will be very convenient for tourists to have Starbucks coffee in the other side of the world and all that. However, when globalization not only includes coffee, but also includes buildings, life habit and clothes, every country then will lose their characteristics. It makes traveling become boring. I don't think that we have the right to effect other countries' culture to make us feel comfortable, but not if those against human rights and damage the earth. I have already found some cities are almost the same while I was traveling abroad. I felt that I'd rather just stay in my own city, instead of spending time and money to visit the same cities.
sjujim

Post by sjujim »

Globalization increases the trade around the world. Social and cultural influences become similar gradually in all parts of the world. I personally think that globalization is mostly bad. For example, it will be very convenient for tourists to have Starbucks coffee on the other side of the world. However, when globalization also includes buildings, life habit and clothes, every country will lose theirs characteristics. I don't think that any enterprises should affect other countries' culture for their own benefits. Therefore, it can be concluded that the globalization is not good.
bhavatmaj

Post by bhavatmaj »

Steps of Development of Humans beings
1)Civilization
2)Industrialization
3)Globalization
(only few animals have reached the first step of Civilization)
bhavatmaj
Handmade beaded necklace from craftsmen of Indian Villages.
halfknot

Post by halfknot »

What exactly globalisation is? Can someone explain me in a few words? From your posts I understood that's something that helps the countries to fuse in one big country. How does globalisation make this possible? Isn't necessary the agreement of every single country? I don't see this as a achievable thing.
I'm posting to improve my English. If you see any grammar/vocabulary mistake in my post, please let me know.
danielrmenna

Post by danielrmenna »

In my opinion, globalization is the best of both worlds. On one hand, this fact increases the mixing of multi cultural society and contributes with international trade agreements. But, on the other hand, the globalization influences the countries to change their national identity, and in this situation, people could waste a lot about their culture for this reason.

I don`t know if it is good or bad, but the globalization sets the world on fire!
nguyenchi

Post by nguyenchi »

Honestly, the benefits of globalisation are all about the opportunities and efficiencies open markets create. Business can develop effectively with suppliers, investors and customers and from that the countries on the world can assimilate into many different fields such as culture, language, relationship,...
However, the bad side of globalisation is economic depression in one country can trigger adverse reaction across the globe.In addition,developed countries can stifle development of undeveloped and umder-developed countries.
SudaratS

Post by SudaratS »

In my opinion there are good things. Globalisation can destroy the traditional culture. For example Some of teenagers in my country like to listen to music from other country that has many famous beautiful and handsome idols. Teenagers want to do everything like the Idols such as dress up , change hair color, plastic surgery. Ruin the real nation identity,doesn't it?
spongbob

Post by spongbob »

Globalisation makes me think that is good because we live in different countries and have also different culture and different ideas so when we work together we can all achieve something and make our future better.
Timngeun

Post by Timngeun »

:lol: In my opinion, globalization is so good because you can imagine someday everybody can make friends easily without the barrage of language and at least it helps to make different cultures and countries work together. making a possible future of the whole world as one.
laochhun

Post by laochhun »

In my opinion, Globalisation is excellent both of country in the world for multi-national corporations and industrial development. Also, Globalisation is the process by which the world is becoming increasingly interconnected as a result of massively increased trade and cultural exchange. Globalisation has increased the production of goods and services.
So Globalisation is good for me.
Murazik
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Murazik »

On the one hand, this way countries unite and become stronger together, but at the same time everything turns to mush and peoples with rich culture disappear. we can talk about this topic for a long time, but I have to go
As far as I was concerned Can't wait to see whatever movie they're filming in London right now.
BrianStapleton

Post by BrianStapleton »

Murazik wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:58 pm On the one hand, this way countries unite and become stronger together, but at the same time everything turns to mush and peoples with rich culture disappear. we can talk about this topic for a long time, but I have to go
This is very similar to what I was going to post. I think it is a precious quality that each country and each region of each country has its own distinct culture, etiquette, cuisine, laws, holidays, festivals, morals, styles, dress, architecture, beliefs and traditions. I don't like it that the world is becoming uniform in all ways. It's boring and stagnant.

That's not to say there should be no contact or influences between societies. But each person should make an effort to preserve the ways of their people. For example, if you get married do it in the traditional manner, if you have children tell them the fables of your background, and don't let the old treasures fade away.
I teach 1-hour English classes online and correct essays with comments. Classes are ongoing, weekly, and flexible.
Contact me via private message to schedule a class.

https://youtube.com/@brianstapleton5148?feature=shared