Robin Hood was right!

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

ghadeer
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:53 pm
Location: UAE
Contact:

Postby ghadeer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:30 am

I think rich have to help poor people but not to force them to do.It is a responsibility of goverments to reduce the gap between rich and poor by making program encouraging rich to help poor people and encouraging poor to help themselves also

bigpotato
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:44 am
Location: Venus planet

Postby bigpotato » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:19 am

Robinhood was right. The rich exploiting the poor terribly and unfairly should be treated like that. Robinhood didn't rob or steal anything, he just took things which should had belonged to the poor. :)

bigpotato
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:44 am
Location: Venus planet

Postby bigpotato » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:22 pm

You sound don't get my point. I only want to say that at that time, he's right cause the riches're wrong. If the rich earn money by a good way, Robin is wrong. But they didn't (I just mention the ones whom R took the money). If the rich can offer good conditions and be kind with the poor to give them a "fish rod", then of course, there'll never have such a "Robinhood". Now I think there're qualified courts to consider if a rich earn money by positive way or not, so there's no need a "Robinhood" to judge them. :wink:
How to help the poor? I think the best way is to try not to be as poor as them. :D

User avatar
lovefrance
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:40 pm
Status: English Learner
Contact:

Postby lovefrance » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:07 pm

giving is good but not robber nowadays!

User avatar
heart
Silver Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 1:55 pm
Location: muscat
Contact:

Postby heart » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:32 pm

I'm agree ,
He was right,,
Poor people need helps,
In this time no one think like him,,

Ees
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Finlans

Postby Ees » Sat May 12, 2007 12:53 pm

Robin Hood took only back what rich had taken from the poors. It was right. But nowadays it is hard, maybe impossible to point one person and say "it is his fault that I am poor" and that it why I can not see that there could be new Robin Hood.

And also, why to just point out the guilty ones when whe should do something by ourselves? There are many ways to help poors to get the fishing-rod. For exemple there are many organisations that gives money for childrens education in Africa or some where else. And I believe that no one of us is so poor that we could not give any money to them. But much easier is to talk about the reasons why the riches does not act.

Okay, don't get me wrong. I really appreciate this conversation, it has really good opinions in it and it is really interesting. And I can not judge any one, because for my own shame I am still one of those who just speaks and does not act. But I am learning at this time not to use so much money for vain things, because when I have learnt it I can give money to those who really needs it. I have not yet done anything, but I try to remind me that I should and I really hope that I will.

That is because I believe that the best thing to do to help the poor ones, is to try to make things different and I think the most powerful thing to do that is to show exemple in humans own life.

And of course, before acting human has to talk and think things, because if people acted without talking and thinking, the act could and probably be just one big catastrophe.

Sorry for really long text. And thank you for really good conversation and opinions.

User avatar
Bambang
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:26 am
Location: Jakarta Indonesia

Postby Bambang » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:28 am

crippler wrote:Of course, in all societies, disadvantaged people will be more likely to break rules of law.


My friend, please do the research first.


Hi all, If you are a good generous charitable rich person, you don't need to worry for being robbed !!!

User avatar
Krisi
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner
Location: house

Postby Krisi » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:41 am

mamuta wrote:...the best way is not to give a fish, but give a fishing-rod, isn't it?


I agree to this, dear mamuta. It's not good to teach the people how to be lazy. They should learn how to live a lifetime and not for a brief period of time only.

User avatar
Krisi
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner
Location: house

Postby Krisi » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:45 am

Dixie wrote:
mamuta wrote:...the best way is not to give a fish, but give a fishing-rod, isn't it?


That's what I always say (it's a Chinese proverb, right? ;)) Giving is not enough, because what you give will end eventually. We should help the poor in other ways. Governments should play a central role here. But as always they are more interested in their own benefit.


Dearest Dixie, I'm one with you. Someone has to teach the poor to live (this is the meaning of giving a fishing rod), so that they won't feel hungry for the rest of their lives. But, because of the diversification of opinions, others don't perceive this as lessons to be learned and applied. Others will think of this approach (teach and learn to live) as selfishness, (partly because of some belief that emerged within each individual as he/she goes on with his/her life). There are some who doesn't care about the future at all, they only think of the present (sometimes the circumstances just don't allow them to think of their future).
Anyway, (I'm already far from the topic about the righteousness of Robin Hood) going back to the topic, we are all in constant search for truth... we really don't know who's correct. Under the law of man, it's a crime.
For the time being we may be lost, but I'm quite sure we'll all find the truth later on. And whatever truth we are nurturing within us at present, just don't forget one ingredient, sincerity.

User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 891
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: USA

Postby Danyet » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:13 pm

Today, it is The Government that steals from the rich to give to the poor. :D

norhan
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:58 pm
Location: egypt
Contact:

Postby norhan » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:49 pm

"The end justifies the mean "that's what Robin Hood follow and i don't think that this is such a right thing in his case he stole and stealing is stealindg no matter why did he steale.

norhan
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:58 pm
Location: egypt
Contact:

Postby norhan » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:26 pm

Did you read and did you watch Robin Hood's story.the rich mens there were very greedy and the poor didn't have money even to eat and they had nothing to do so if u were them what should u do ?
he stole the thieves ?I don't i gree with him but i don't know the solution so..... :roll: ....

wyne
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:15 pm
Location: china

Postby wyne » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:55 am

mamuta wrote:...the best way is not to give a fish, but give a fishing-rod, isn't it?

I agree with you very much. There is an old Chinese saying "Give a man fish, he will have a meal; teach a man to fish, he will have food all his life." We ought to teach the poors to develop themselves, not only give them the money simply .

Moody
Silver Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:41 am
Contact:

Postby Moody » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:49 am

There is almost one billion humans every day sleep with out a single meal in the present world 21 century. And it is agreeable with most of the opinions to teach the poor to develop. BUT we can't ignore there IMMIDIATE NEEDS like food, shelter etc, unfortunately which still we are???

I tend not to refuse any needy person and give help to my best whom ever ask, if I have got any money with me at that time immidiately. And this is what WE are taught in general!

User avatar
Krisi
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner
Location: house

Re: Robin Hood was right!

Postby Krisi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:46 am

TalkingPoint wrote:Robin Hood was right - taking money from the rich and giving it to the poor is the best way to reduce poverty in the world!

Do you agree?


I DISAGREE, because people rely on gossips so robbers end up robbing the poor people too. Especially those quiet people who's been trying so hard to face their own problems silently.

There is nothing wrong being rich and I for one is dreaming to be rich but I do not believe in getting rich by cheating and being dishonest and selfish. I do not believe in putting a relative or other people's life in trouble just to be rich. I believe in climbing up while helping others too because no one will get to the level of life where they are now without the help of the other people within his/her circle of friends or community. While climbing to a higher level in life, I also believe in helping those people who do not help me or in some ways have hurt me because that's the role they prefer to take to help you exert more effort to move on to your dreams. And for those who keep on hurting and criticizing others, I think it is just a sign that they just want to be noticed and seen too so that help will be given to them.
Last edited by Krisi on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Krisi
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner
Location: house

Re: Robin Hood was right!

Postby Krisi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:57 am

If you want to solve poverty, discuss the issue with the rich people. Why robbed them... I am quite sure there are a lot of rich people out there who sincerely want to help for a good cause. No need to cheat, it might just create a never ending trouble.

tobielolness
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:16 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: turkey/netherlands

Re: Robin Hood was right!

Postby tobielolness » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:02 am

I don't think being robin hood will end the poverty. you need to fix the system first. you must guarantee the contunity of equality. otherwise, there will always exist poorer and richer people.

we all don't have the same opportunities to be rich. there are economic, social and cultural differences. if we accept that we are all born with equal rights, we should have the same opportunities. but obviously we don't. that means rich people always steal from poor people already. because they are always born more lucky.

plus, to become rich, you need to steal from other people. for example, even if you earn a lot, you always pay your workers just a little amount. you need to hire more people for your business to be done, but you don't. then, your worker work harder and harder, but you pay him again the same amount or a little bit more.

there are more reasons, like personality... personality is also important to get a job. if you are not good at marketing yourself, you have more trouble with finding job.

there are also bigger economical-political issues , like capitalism itself makes some parts of the world poorer and doesn't let them to get richer.

anyway, i think we are all born with equal rights but don't have the same chances. that makes the world worse and worse. also, being robin hood will not solve the problems. we should first believe deeply that people are equal. but i know that it's a utopia. people are selfish inside their mind and soul.


Return to “Talking Point Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests