Children should take both parents' surnames.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: "Children should take both parents surnames."

Post by Bambang »

pocahontex wrote:...it will make a long name. Sometimes you'll face a difficulty to write your name onto a test paper because there is not enough room to write such a long name.
mamuta wrote:I haven't thought about it but you're absolutely right!
That's not a big deal my friend. Just write your short name instead of the full one. Take a look at this :
Hi, my name is pocahontex blablabla blablabla blablabla...

Hallo, my name is mamuta blablabla blablabla blablabla...

Cool huh !!!
Sorry just kidding my friends. :wink:

My dear friends, to me, it's not a big deal whether you take your father's name or your mom's name or even both.

But to me, the best one is when you take none of them. Just your name without anything behind or in the front.

Nowadays, lots of people are using their family name to get advantage of the situation. For instance, if his/her father/mother is a public figure or popular artist, they use that name for their interest. Some people are hiding behind their big family name. To me, it's not a proper strategy to use family name to get something. :cry:

I wish we didn't have any family name or surneme so that everybody would be equal in any sectors.

Sometimes I'm confused when calling some people who take their parent's name . This is one example.

A grand father has two sons.
Suppose the first one is Marco Ginting and the second one is Marlon Ginting. "Ginting" is the family name.
Both sons are called "Ginting".
When they are in a family gathering, then we call "Ginting". You already know the result right!
The three men would look at you because their names are "Ginting". Can you imagine if there are ten "Gintings" there. What would happen? What a confusing thing huh !!! What a mess!!! :P :lol:
Sphinx

Post by Sphinx »

I, myself use both my parents' surname. i even use it in my resume. I don't think it matters whether which surnames you use.
stinks

Post by stinks »

I think it is not important for the children to have their parents' surnames or their fathers' surnames. Because parents are still parents no matter what happens, and the chilren will bring their parents' blood in their body, right?
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Take neither of them

Post by Bambang »

You got it dear Stinks.

Take neither of them.

Don't use any surnames.
nightwish

Post by nightwish »

in our country we usually use our father's surname, 'cause we belong to this family now, but for me, it doesn't matter 'cause I have my father's and my mother's surname.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

nightwish wrote:in our country we usually use our father's surname, 'cause we belong to this family now, but for me, it doesn't matter 'cause I have my father's and my mother's surname.

Wow, you've got both.

Then, what's your full name?

I bet, it must be long or at least three words.
nightwish

Post by nightwish »

ha-ha....actually it's not thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat long.....
I'm a lucky girl, 'cause my father and my mother surname's is the same because of that I said that I use both of them :D....
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

nightwish wrote:ha-ha....actually it's not thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat long.....
I'm a lucky girl, 'cause my father and my mother surname's is the same because of that I said that I use both of them :D....

Good excuse to cover your real name.

Psychologically speaking, you are not an open person.

Anyway, I still appreciate your closeness.

We need it sometimes.

But not always, especially to uncle Bambang.
nightwish

Post by nightwish »

I'm not making any excuses here dear,
my mother is my father's cousin. :D
Psychologically speaking, you are not an open person
you don't even know me to analyze my personality :wink: .
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

nightwish wrote:
I'm not making any excuses here dear,
my mother is my father's cousin. :D

Oh I see. Married to a cousin.
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Children should take both parents' surnames.

Post by Annaa »

I don`t agree with this,it`s very absurd to have two surnames.
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..
ngaminh

Post by ngaminh »

I think it depend on your country. it is not neccesary, your childrent can take only one father's surname or mother's surname. some case surname of mother and father is the same.
martasofia

Children should take both parents' surnames.

Post by martasofia »

I think children should take both parents' surnames. The order of them should be a choice too.
From my point of view, having both surnames is a reflection of two different family inheritances and of a complete equality between them.
Names are important, they go with us throughout our life remembering who we are and where we come from and, on the practical sense, it helps to avoid mistakes.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Annaa wrote:I don`t agree with this,it`s very absurd to have two surnames.
WHY? :shock:
andrew

Post by andrew »

In my opinion, children should choose their own surnames in a logical age (13-14 years). Imagine a father who hits his son and then he dissapear from his life. Perhaps the kid only wants to have his mother´s surname (the reason is obvious). Or,for example, imagine your father´s surname is Hitler or Stalin and you live in Deutchland or Russia. It could be a problem if you have others political ideas.
Anyway, in Spain we take both parents´ surname and it isn´t a problem. It woul be a good idea can change it.
martasofia

Post by martasofia »

NURIA: In my opinion,it's better children take both parents' usernames because the username is a part of us,something that identify us and with two surnames it's easy to recognize someone I think
thesnakesolid

Post by thesnakesolid »

i think mother's surname is as important as father's , and children should have both of them, parents have to decide the order of them togheter.
NuriaSb

Post by NuriaSb »

In my opinion, children should take both parents’ surnames because you are part of your father and of your mother too.
Why is it in some countries there is only father’s surname?
As I see, having only your father’s name or when you are married, your husband’s name is a very sexist measure. We are in the 21st century and the equality is an ethical value but in this case, it isn’t applied.
I live in Spain and all the children have both surnames and also women keep their own surnames when they get married. Other countries ought to learn this intelligent measure to making more obvious the sex equality.
NuriaSb

Post by NuriaSb »

I agree with Andrew’s because you can have different political opinion with your parents and a name can mark your life. You should be free to change your name for an other that you like more or sounds better.
martasofia

Post by martasofia »

Annaa wrote:I don`t agree with this,it`s very absurd to have two surnames.
NURIAB:I'm not agree with yo because Ithink two surnames are so important like one of them
willyp

Post by willyp »

From my point of view your mother´s surname is as important as your father´s so I can´t understand why ,for example in the United Kingdom or France, they only take the father´s one.Your name is your most important identification mark and it should show the inheritance of the two families where you come from.
ligros

Post by ligros »

In Spain we take the surnames of both the parents but I know that in other countries people only take the surname of the father and when a woman marries she takes the surname of her husband. I don´t think on it like a sexist measure, I think that it´s only a different tradition and an easier way of doing administrative paperwork.
ligros

Post by ligros »

noeliam wrote:I live in Spain, and here we have two surnames.Usually the first one belongs to our father and the second one comes from our mother. For me, both of these are an important part of our identity and in some cases they can mark our destination. The surnames are an important way of showing the family´s story, but it is only my point of view because I was born in a country where every one of us have two surnames.On the other hand I would like to say that to me to have two surnames isn´t so important as some of the other users is because to have one or two surnames isn´t an own decision and it depends of the country´s culture
noeliam: For me too it isn´t a problem to have one or two surnames, in our country we have two surnames but for me it wouldn´t be a problem to have only one
willyp

Post by willyp »

martasofia wrote:I think children should take both parents' surnames. The order of them should be a choice too.
From my point of view, having both surnames is a reflection of two different family inheritances and of a complete equality between them.
Names are important, they go with us throughout our life remembering who we are and where we come from and, on the practical sense, it helps to avoid mistakes.
I think it shouldn´t be an option, the order of your name has to do with tradition ,we can´t change it that easy.
thesnakesolid

Post by thesnakesolid »

well its a tradition, its not so easy to cahge , but we are evolutioning, changing our traditions every day, so... why not?
i think having this option means equality and progress, and , if parents dont want to change the order of the surnames , they dont have to do it.
however, as i said, i think we need TWO surnames, cause you are better identified in the society
thesnakesolid

Post by thesnakesolid »

ligros wrote:In Spain we take the surnames of both the parents but I know that in other countries people only take the surname of the father and when a woman marries she takes the surname of her husband. I don´t think on it like a sexist measure, I think that it´s only a different tradition and an easier way of doing administrative paperwork.
mr ligros, i think it is a tradition, a different tradition and, in fact, a sexist one... on that way, mother's surname seems to be less important than father's.
you have to realise that this tradition is being followed in countries that most of the laws are sexist ( vote, legal punishment, etc )