Reading in English is a waste of time!

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

User avatar
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:21 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: England
Contact:

Reading in English is a waste of time!

Postby TalkingPoint » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:35 am

Reading in English is a waste of time!

Do YOU agree?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 2249
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:59 pm
Status: English Learner
Contact:

Postby Vega » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:34 am

No, I don't.

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 pm
Status: Other
Location: European Union

Postby Hardi » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:55 am

Even though I would like to read from original sources, I couldn't learn all possible languages and since there isn't translated everything to every language, but there is a huge amount of interesting text in English. I can't say reading in English is waste of time.

User avatar
Bambang
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:26 am
Location: Jakarta Indonesia

Postby Bambang » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:32 pm

It's absolutely not. By reading in English, we can enrich our English vocabulary. In addition to that, by reading in English we can get a lot of information because most information and knowledge are written in English . And most importantly, we can broaden our horizon by reading.

So,reading in English is a waste of time? No way !!!

wolfbike
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:02 pm
Location: Germany

Postby wolfbike » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:56 pm

Not on any account. Even so I live in Hannover, a German town, in many companies the office post have to write in English. Because of globalization many companies have contact to foreign countries and the only language all understand is English today.
Therefore in future you only will have a good chance with English and in my opinion the second language must be Spain.

User avatar
Bambang
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:26 am
Location: Jakarta Indonesia

Postby Bambang » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:40 pm

wolfbike wrote:...in my opinion the second language must be Spain.


First of all, my friend, I'd like to straighten your opinion on "the second language". The second language means a language which you are using in communication besides your mother tongue as the first language.

As an Indonesian, my first language (mother tongue) is Indonesian. My second language is English. However, one of my friends, his first language is Indonesian and his second language is Arabic. He doesn't speak any English.

My point is, it's up to the people to choose their second language. Some people even only speak one language. It means they don't have any second languages.

Next, my friend. You can not force anybody to choose Spanish as their second language. Don't use "must" dude !!!

Everybody is free to choose their secong languages. And most people usually learn a second language because they need it. I am learning English as my secong language because I need it. If somebody thinks that English is not important for him (of course I disagree with his idea), still it's up to him. We can not force him to learn English. To him, English is not important in his life. We can do nothing buddy. It's his life.

Lastly, supernaturally speaking, English will be being used as the second language at least for the next 2 centuries.

wolfbike
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:02 pm
Location: Germany

Postby wolfbike » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:26 am

Okay, „bambang“ ….you are right! Of course the second foreign language people can speak or learn is not their second language but their third language. Sorry, I thought I am here in an English forum and not in a mathematics lesson.

User avatar
Bambang
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:26 am
Location: Jakarta Indonesia

Postby Bambang » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:05 pm

wolfbike wrote:Okay, „bambang“ ….you are right! Of course the second foreign language people can speak or learn is not their second language but their third language. Sorry, I thought I am here in an English forum and not in a mathematics lesson.



My friend, I am so sorry for you. You didn't get my points. Re-analise my post first dude, then give your comment. Make sure you have understood what my points were.

If you feel hard to understand them, don't hesitate to consult me on them. OK dude. Happy analising !!!

User avatar
satisfaction
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:16 am
Location: AE

Hand up!

Postby satisfaction » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:15 am

Hi teacher,

Well, i think that reading english is not wasting time because; in my openion there are two kinds of reading.

First kind: That you are reading a news paper, silently, without moving your lips, or hearing your ears.

Second kind: That you are reading carefully and with well pronounciation, and at this kind, i find that i can improving my talking skill, find out new vocabularies, and feel interesting with my new language.

Thank you :)

User avatar
Bambang
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:26 am
Location: Jakarta Indonesia

Postby Bambang » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:41 pm

Fine dear satisfaction.

Keep reading !!!

Improve your English anywhere anytime possible !!!

Good luck.

User avatar
satisfaction
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:16 am
Location: AE

Im here

Postby satisfaction » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:56 am

Thanks bam bang
8)

I will

nightwish
Silver Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:00 am
Location: Venus

Postby nightwish » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:20 am

I don't agree with that!

English is an international language. Besides, it's so easy to learn it and great language. :!:

User avatar
openboy
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:11 am
Location: New York City

you said very good!

Postby openboy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:42 am

bambang wrote:It's absolutely not. By reading in English, we can enrich our English vocabulary. In addition to that, by reading in English we can get a lot of information because most information and knowledge are written in English . And most importantly, we can broaden our horizon by reading.

So,reading in English is a waste of time? No way !!!


YOU SAID VERY GOOD!

nhinhilove
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:57 am
Location: Vietnam

Postby nhinhilove » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:27 am

"Practise makes perfect" I think that sentence is absolutely right, therfore we have to improve all the skill of English. Reading book is a way. And I don't think it waste my time, when you read, you can find the structure, the words that you forgot or unknown. Book is a friend who is really patient!!! :wink:

User avatar
Bambang
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:26 am
Location: Jakarta Indonesia

Re: you said very good!

Postby Bambang » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:54 am

openboy wrote:
bambang wrote:It's absolutely not. By reading in English, we can enrich our English vocabulary. In addition to that, by reading in English we can get a lot of information because most information and knowledge are written in English . And most importantly, we can broaden our horizon by reading.

So,reading in English is a waste of time? No way !!!


YOU SAID VERY GOOD!



Thank you my son.

Psychologically speaking, you are a nice boy.

Robert
Silver Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Taichung, Taiwan
Contact:

I think not

Postby Robert » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:27 am

In my opinion, most of the students in Taiwan learn English with an extremely delicate way! For example, they often look up a dictionary when they don't know what a word means. Or memorize a lot of phrases(Dickson’s phrases or something like that, but they don’t use them in daily conversation. Therefore soon they’ll forget).
And they read just few books! From my perspective, reading a lot can help increase your vocabulary because the same words will appear again and again if you read many.
[/b]

User avatar
mamuta
Gold Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:26 pm
Location: Poland

Re: Hand up!

Postby mamuta » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:00 pm

satisfaction wrote:...there are two kinds of reading.
First kind: That you are reading a news paper, silently, without moving your lips, or hearing your ears.
Second kind: That you are reading carefully and with well pronounciation, and at this kind, i find that i can improving my talking skill, find out new vocabularies, and feel interesting with my new language

Well said! :D I practised both kinds of reading and as for me it works!

novatena
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:51 am
Location: Vietnam

Postby novatena » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:24 am

In oder to learn english, it's impossible if you do not use english even in reading.

swet
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: India

Re: Reading in English is a waste of time!

Postby swet » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:31 pm

TalkingPoint wrote:Reading in English is a waste of time!

Do YOU agree?


Hi All,

I dont think so that reading in English is a waste of time.Rather reading in any language would never be a waste of time.Everytime you will get something new to learn,to read,which increases your knowledge,skill,ability and many more things.

Tinuss
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:26 pm

Postby Tinuss » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:32 pm

How are you around the world? Here in Denmark we are now in full swing after summer holydays - but I have to be better to spell english. This is important.

basmla
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:30 am
Location: earth planet

Postby basmla » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:57 am

hi every body

i agree with you all that reading english is very important for those who learn it as a second language . it is the best way to know the other cultures and communication as well as their way of thinking.


Return to “Talking Point Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron