Postby satisfaction » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:56 am

Thanks bam bang
8)

I will

nightwish
Silver Member

Postby nightwish » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:20 am

I don't agree with that!

English is an international language. Besides, it's so easy to learn it and great language. :!:

openboy

you said very good!

Postby openboy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:42 am

bambang wrote:It's absolutely not. By reading in English, we can enrich our English vocabulary. In addition to that, by reading in English we can get a lot of information because most information and knowledge are written in English . And most importantly, we can broaden our horizon by reading.

So,reading in English is a waste of time? No way !!!

YOU SAID VERY GOOD!

nhinhilove

Postby nhinhilove » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:27 am

"Practise makes perfect" I think that sentence is absolutely right, therfore we have to improve all the skill of English. Reading book is a way. And I don't think it waste my time, when you read, you can find the structure, the words that you forgot or unknown. Book is a friend who is really patient!!! :wink:

Bambang
Rough Diamond Member

Re: you said very good!

Postby Bambang » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:54 am

openboy wrote:
bambang wrote:It's absolutely not. By reading in English, we can enrich our English vocabulary. In addition to that, by reading in English we can get a lot of information because most information and knowledge are written in English . And most importantly, we can broaden our horizon by reading.

So,reading in English is a waste of time? No way !!!

YOU SAID VERY GOOD!

Thank you my son.

Psychologically speaking, you are a nice boy.

Robert
Silver Member

I think not

Postby Robert » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:27 am

In my opinion, most of the students in Taiwan learn English with an extremely delicate way! For example, they often look up a dictionary when they don't know what a word means. Or memorize a lot of phrases(Dickson’s phrases or something like that, but they don’t use them in daily conversation. Therefore soon they’ll forget).
And they read just few books! From my perspective, reading a lot can help increase your vocabulary because the same words will appear again and again if you read many.
[/b]

mamuta
Gold Member

Re: Hand up!

Postby mamuta » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:00 pm

satisfaction wrote:...there are two kinds of reading.
First kind: That you are reading a news paper, silently, without moving your lips, or hearing your ears.
Second kind: That you are reading carefully and with well pronounciation, and at this kind, i find that i can improving my talking skill, find out new vocabularies, and feel interesting with my new language

Well said! :D I practised both kinds of reading and as for me it works!

novatena

Postby novatena » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:24 am

In oder to learn english, it's impossible if you do not use english even in reading.

swet

Re: Reading in English is a waste of time!

Postby swet » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:31 pm

TalkingPoint wrote:Reading in English is a waste of time!

Do YOU agree?

Hi All,

I dont think so that reading in English is a waste of time.Rather reading in any language would never be a waste of time.Everytime you will get something new to learn,to read,which increases your knowledge,skill,ability and many more things.

Tinuss

Postby Tinuss » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:32 pm

How are you around the world? Here in Denmark we are now in full swing after summer holydays - but I have to be better to spell english. This is important.

basmla

Postby basmla » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:57 am

hi every body

i agree with you all that reading english is very important for those who learn it as a second language . it is the best way to know the other cultures and communication as well as their way of thinking.

swet

Postby swet » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:09 am

Tinuss wrote:How are you around the world? Here in Denmark we are now in full swing after summer holydays - but I have to be better to spell english. This is important.

Yes,you have to be..
but,are you..???

iamvitaly
Silver Member

Postby iamvitaly » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:00 pm

I like to read sort stories and jokes (espessialy from Elena)... I know that it's very important and helps me to improve my knowledge of English... My advice for you.... Read more :!: :!: :!:

skorpion

Re: Reading in English is a waste of time!

Postby skorpion » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:57 pm

TalkingPoint wrote:Reading in English is a waste of time!

Do YOU agree?

I think it really depends. If you're a beginner, it is a waste of time, cause you'll be guessing the pronunciation of a lot of words you don't know, and that'll just make your English hard to understand. Beginners should practice their English by listening a lot and then by speaking. When the learner has strong listening and speaking skills, then he/she can move on to reading.

If you're an advanced student, then reading should not be a waste of time... provided that you keep a good dictionary next to you so that you can always check the correct pronunciation of new words.

I hope this helps.

Lithium

Postby Lithium » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:49 pm

I don't agree .Reading in English and in any other language can't be a waste of time !

skorpion

Postby skorpion » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:36 pm

Lithium wrote:I don't agree .Reading in English and in any other language can't be a waste of time !

Well, it really can be. If you're a beginner then you're wasting your time, cause how are you gonna guess the right pronunciation of each and every word you read?

Lithium

Postby Lithium » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:44 pm

skorpion wrote:Well, it really can be. If you're a beginner then you're wasting your time, cause how are you gonna guess the right pronunciation of each and every word you read?

I look it up in a dictionary :wink:
Last edited by Lithium on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

skorpion

Postby skorpion » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:02 pm

Lithium wrote:
skorpion wrote:Well, it really can be. If you're a beginner then you're wasting your time, cause how are you gonna guess the right pronunciation of each and every word you read?

I look it up in a dictionnary :wink:

And are you sure you're gonna learn how to produce every single English sound not found in your mother tongue? Mainly when you're a beginner? Not only that, are you sure that you, as a beginner, will be able to read the phonetic transcription of every word?

Look it up in a dictionary, but only if you have already developed good listening and speaking skills.

Otherwise, it's a total waste of time.

Lithium

Postby Lithium » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:58 am

:D It isn't a total waste of time !

I'm a beginner and reading english helps me very much , It is not necessery to read long articles and books ... you see what I mean :wink:

ps:thanks for the correction

skorpion

Postby skorpion » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Lithium wrote::D It isn't a total waste of time !

I'm a beginner and reading English helps me very much. There's no need to read long articles and books ... you know what I mean :wink:

ps:thanks for the correction

But are you sure you're learning to pronounce words the right way? What about intonation? What about tag questions? What about inflection? Those things (and others) are very important, and you can't learn 'em by reading.

Get my point?

Lithium

Postby Lithium » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:38 pm

Yeah ! Thanks

Return to “Talking Point Discussion”