Reading in English is a waste of time!

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

basmla

Postby basmla » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:57 am

hi every body

i agree with you all that reading english is very important for those who learn it as a second language . it is the best way to know the other cultures and communication as well as their way of thinking.

swet

Postby swet » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:09 am

Tinuss wrote:How are you around the world? Here in Denmark we are now in full swing after summer holydays - but I have to be better to spell english. This is important.

Yes,you have to be..
but,are you..???

iamvitaly
Silver Member

Postby iamvitaly » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:00 pm

I like to read sort stories and jokes (espessialy from Elena)... I know that it's very important and helps me to improve my knowledge of English... My advice for you.... Read more :!: :!: :!:

skorpion

Re: Reading in English is a waste of time!

Postby skorpion » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:57 pm

TalkingPoint wrote:Reading in English is a waste of time!

Do YOU agree?

I think it really depends. If you're a beginner, it is a waste of time, cause you'll be guessing the pronunciation of a lot of words you don't know, and that'll just make your English hard to understand. Beginners should practice their English by listening a lot and then by speaking. When the learner has strong listening and speaking skills, then he/she can move on to reading.

If you're an advanced student, then reading should not be a waste of time... provided that you keep a good dictionary next to you so that you can always check the correct pronunciation of new words.

I hope this helps.

Lithium

Postby Lithium » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:49 pm

I don't agree .Reading in English and in any other language can't be a waste of time !

skorpion

Postby skorpion » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:36 pm

Lithium wrote:I don't agree .Reading in English and in any other language can't be a waste of time !

Well, it really can be. If you're a beginner then you're wasting your time, cause how are you gonna guess the right pronunciation of each and every word you read?

Lithium

Postby Lithium » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:44 pm

skorpion wrote:Well, it really can be. If you're a beginner then you're wasting your time, cause how are you gonna guess the right pronunciation of each and every word you read?

I look it up in a dictionary :wink:
Last edited by Lithium on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

skorpion

Postby skorpion » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:02 pm

Lithium wrote:
skorpion wrote:Well, it really can be. If you're a beginner then you're wasting your time, cause how are you gonna guess the right pronunciation of each and every word you read?

I look it up in a dictionnary :wink:

And are you sure you're gonna learn how to produce every single English sound not found in your mother tongue? Mainly when you're a beginner? Not only that, are you sure that you, as a beginner, will be able to read the phonetic transcription of every word?

Look it up in a dictionary, but only if you have already developed good listening and speaking skills.

Otherwise, it's a total waste of time.

Lithium

Postby Lithium » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:58 am

:D It isn't a total waste of time !

I'm a beginner and reading english helps me very much , It is not necessery to read long articles and books ... you see what I mean :wink:

ps:thanks for the correction

skorpion

Postby skorpion » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Lithium wrote::D It isn't a total waste of time !

I'm a beginner and reading English helps me very much. There's no need to read long articles and books ... you know what I mean :wink:

But are you sure you're learning to pronounce words the right way? What about intonation? What about tag questions? What about inflection? Those things (and others) are very important, and you can't learn 'em by reading.

Get my point?

Lithium

Postby Lithium » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:38 pm

Yeah ! Thanks

Bambang
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Bambang » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:27 pm

skorpion wrote:
Lithium wrote::D It isn't a total waste of time !

I'm a beginner and reading English helps me very much. There's no need to read long articles and books ... you know what I mean :wink:

But are you sure you're learning to pronounce words the right way? What about intonation? What about tag questions? What about inflection? Those things (and others) are very important, and you can't learn 'em by reading.

Get my point?

Cool.

Join these topics:

http://www.englishclub.com/esl-forums/viewtopic.php?p=328813#328813

Bibina

Postby Bibina » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:49 pm

Well,
lots of my students have the opinion that reading generally, not only in English, is a waste of time. I must disagree, it´s a great way of learning vocabulary, you can see how the language works and you can also improve grammar.I believe that reading in the language you are learning is beneficial. Shortened versions of boks for different levels of learners are great, they are very motivating.

norhan

Postby norhan » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:24 am

I don't think that reading in English is a waste of time. as we all know that now English is the global language .most of the greatest books wrritten in English so if u want to be an aware preson u have to read in English.reading in english isn't that easy u need to practise first and u practise by reading a small books at first cuz we all know that "practise makes perfect".so it's noy wasting for our time...

harryin

Postby harryin » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:09 am

Well!
Here are the benefits of reading english:-
1. Increases General Knowledge.
2. Increases Practical knowledge of daily activities.
3. Source of information.
4. Sharpens your brain.
5. Incrases your concentration level.
6. Incrases vocabulary.
Last, but not least, Helps in learing the language.

vince90
Gold Member

Postby vince90 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:13 pm

Sometime it is. There are bad English writers out there.

milococosiro
Silver Member

Postby milococosiro » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:31 am

English nowadays becomes the second language of many countries. When we talk about language, not only English but also the others, if we want to be an expert, we must practice. One of the most useful way is reading. I have the same opinion with harryin that:
Reading brings out many benefits. Such as:
+ improve knowledge (general and specific)
+ learn more about collocation (which is collected by reading because it isn't taught in classroom)
+ writing skill becomes more better.

harryin

Postby harryin » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:23 am

milococosiro wrote:English nowadays becomes the second language of many countries. When we talk about language, not only English but also the others, if we want to be an expert, we must practice. One of the most useful way is reading. I have the same opinion with harryin that:
Reading brings out many benefits. Such as:
+ improve knowledge (general and specific)
+ learn more about collocation (which is collected by reading because it isn't taught in classroom)
+ writing skill becomes more better.
:D :)

Cunyeu

Postby Cunyeu » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm

if u want to improve ur English,u should read in English alot.this is one of most effective ways to learn E.It not only expand our vocabulary ,but also help us to speak E more fluently.So read in E alot,never think that reading in E is a waste of time. :) :)

meylenlau

Postby meylenlau » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:35 pm

If ones' proficiency of English language is weak,then the time spent on reading will be definately longer compared to those who are better.That's why they may have the perception: "Reading in English is waste of time"
If one really wants to learn and improve English,he/she really has to spend lots of time and efforts, as Rome was not built in a day!
A strong determination is needed.

brocoli

Postby brocoli » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:28 pm

English reading keep the language alive i think. I`m not of those people who love book reading but i can`t agree with your opinion.

Return to “Talking Point Discussion”