Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderators: Vega, Krisi, TalkingPoint

Post Reply
User avatar
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:21 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: England

Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by TalkingPoint » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:54 am

Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

What do YOU think?

Wordchecker
global: worldwide
wealth: riches, money
re-distribute: give (something) out again, share out again
evenly: in a balanced way; the same for everyone

Read about Wealth

englishhelps
Gold Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am
Status: Other

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by englishhelps » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:44 am

Hhhm..that's a tough one. Logistically, I don't think that's possible. For starters, there is no governing body that has control over all the countries so it would be tough to do. Besides, I believe that all first world countries would be opposed to the idea. You can't blame them though. They've worked hard in order to provide for their country.

Besides, they do their part by extending aid to those who needs it. :)

englishhelps
Gold Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am
Status: Other

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by englishhelps » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:19 pm

What do you guys think? :?:

halfknot
Silver Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:01 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by halfknot » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:32 pm

It's an unreachable and senseless event. It's not fair to take someone's wealth just because he/she has more than other one. If one works harder than another, it's obvious that he/she deserves more money. Of course, there are lot of cases when the gifted one hardly lives with the ammount of money he/she has and a fool can buy his/her entire village. This isn't very fair neither, but you can't make justice with an injustice.
I'm posting to improve my English. If you see any grammar/vocabulary mistake in my post, please let me know.

englishhelps
Gold Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am
Status: Other

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by englishhelps » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:13 pm

^Hi, I see that you want to be corrected if there are mistakes in your post. I hope you don't mind. :)
It's an unreachable and senseless event.
You should use a different word instead of event. You can use something like strategy or something like that.
It's not fair to take someone's wealth just because he/she has more than other one
It should be he/she has more than the other one.
If one works harder than another
If one works harder than the other
ammount of money
amount of money
This isn't very fair neither
This isn't very fair either

Overall, your post is very good. The thought is there and it was very understandable. Keep up the good work!

The problem with the other countries is they sometimes ask too much and if it wasn't given, the rich countries are targeted as bad guys.

halfknot
Silver Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:01 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by halfknot » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:16 pm

Thanks a lot for correcting me. I wasn't expecting that someone would really take his/her time to correct me but looks like I was wrong.
I'm posting to improve my English. If you see any grammar/vocabulary mistake in my post, please let me know.

englishhelps
Gold Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am
Status: Other

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by englishhelps » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:25 am

You're welcome. It's actually good that you are encouraging people to correct you. It pays off to welcome constructive criticisms. You're going to be more vigilant that way. Besides, we're here to learn and we need all the help we can get.

A more logical thing to do is to take care of a global wealth that we have been disregarding - our environment. If we take care of our environment as a whole, then the whole world will benefit from this global wealth.

User avatar
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 2252
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:59 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by Vega » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:25 pm

TalkingPoint wrote:Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

What do YOU think?
Let's think about consequences. First of all, it is a crisis in every segments of economy. If everyone will be rich, then nobody will work. We will have a lot of money, but there will be nothing to buy because no one goes to a factory, office, etc. and does daily job.

halfknot
Silver Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:01 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by halfknot » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:38 pm

But redistributing the global wealth evenly doesn't mean we would all be rich. We could be just moderate. So we still need to work to get rich or at least, to survive.
I'm posting to improve my English. If you see any grammar/vocabulary mistake in my post, please let me know.

Nanning
Silver Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:53 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: mainland China

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by Nanning » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Remember the theme of Beijing Olympics of 2008?
Yes, you are right! One world, one dream.
Can global wealth be distributed equally or evenly?
Yes, in your dream.

englishhelps
Gold Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am
Status: Other

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by englishhelps » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:34 pm

Xkalibur wrote:
TalkingPoint wrote:Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

What do YOU think?
Let's think about consequences. First of all, it is a crisis in every segments of economy. If everyone will be rich, then nobody will work. We will have a lot of money, but there will be nothing to buy because no one goes to a factory, office, etc. and does daily job.
That's pretty good. I never thought of it that way. No one will do the jobs that is usually done by the poor.

englishhelps
Gold Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am
Status: Other

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by englishhelps » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:36 pm

halfknot wrote:But redistributing the global wealth evenly doesn't mean we would all be rich. We could be just moderate. So we still need to work to get rich or at least, to survive.
But if we're all equal, who's going to do the jobs that were done by the poor? Let's say a poor man is now as equally rich as Bill Gates, who would do the job of the poor?

englishhelps
Gold Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am
Status: Other

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by englishhelps » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:37 pm

Nanning wrote:Remember the theme of Beijing Olympics of 2008?
Yes, you are right! One world, one dream.
Can global wealth be distributed equally or evenly?
Yes, in your dream.
Yes, it will only happen in our dreams.

halfknot
Silver Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:01 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by halfknot » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:50 pm

englishhelps wrote:But if we're all equal, who's going to do the jobs that were done by the poor? Let's say a poor man is now as equally rich as Bill Gates, who would do the job of the poor?
Just because we are all equal in wealth, doesn't make us equal everywhene. Some of us are stronger, some of us are smarter, some of us will get rich again, some of us will get rich for the first time and most of us will get poor.
I'm posting to improve my English. If you see any grammar/vocabulary mistake in my post, please let me know.

englishhelps
Gold Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am
Status: Other

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by englishhelps » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:27 am

halfknot wrote:
englishhelps wrote:But if we're all equal, who's going to do the jobs that were done by the poor? Let's say a poor man is now as equally rich as Bill Gates, who would do the job of the poor?
Just because we are all equal in wealth, doesn't make us equal everywhene. Some of us are stronger, some of us are smarter, some of us will get rich again, some of us will get rich for the first time and most of us will get poor.
Yes, but there are jobs that the rich wouldn't do. For example, dishwashing. Let's say that everyone is equal in terms of money. That means they are equal in stature. The person who used to wash dishes as a job wouldn't want to do it anymore. Since he's equally as rich as everyone, why would he settle for a lesser job? He'll probably just start his own business. No one would want to go back to doing blue collar jobs.

Nanning
Silver Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:53 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: mainland China

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by Nanning » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:10 am

Two points shall be made clear before we go on:
1. What is wealth?(money, stocks, women, diamond, property, cars,land, oil paintings, etc)
2. How evenly is really evenly? (geographically, per capita, by sex, by age, by country, or what else....)
Please define them, otherwise all is hot air.

halfknot
Silver Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:01 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by halfknot » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:54 am

englishhelps wrote:
halfknot wrote:
englishhelps wrote:But if we're all equal, who's going to do the jobs that were done by the poor? Let's say a poor man is now as equally rich as Bill Gates, who would do the job of the poor?
Just because we are all equal in wealth, doesn't make us equal everywhene. Some of us are stronger, some of us are smarter, some of us will get rich again, some of us will get rich for the first time and most of us will get poor.
Yes, but there are jobs that the rich wouldn't do. For example, dishwashing. Let's say that everyone is equal in terms of money. That means they are equal in stature. The person who used to wash dishes as a job wouldn't want to do it anymore. Since he's equally as rich as everyone, why would he settle for a lesser job? He'll probably just start his own business. No one would want to go back to doing blue collar jobs.
Then how they would eat? Everyone will wash its dishes until the weak and the unlucky ones go bankruptcy.
I'm posting to improve my English. If you see any grammar/vocabulary mistake in my post, please let me know.

User avatar
Tora
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 pm
Status: Other
Location: Moscow

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by Tora » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:42 pm

The whole idea of re-distribution the global wealth is absolutely preposterous. Firstly, the adverb 'evenly' every human beeing is tend to understand on his own way. And you may notice that right here, in this thread, one says evenly poor, others - evenly rich. Secondly, seeing someone richer than you is a huge stimulus to an ambitious, educated person, but for an ignorant lowbrow it's like blood in the water that causes revolutions. Working hard on a field that is becoming to your abilities, knowledge and education, besides if it's evenly(!) paid, - I suppose this is the key issue.

I'm convinced that the current people who, as you say, do the lower jobs like washing dishes or cleaning the streets - the job that surely must be more respected, suffer from that white collars that provide the financial bubble of unsupported by manufacturing bulk of money.

englishhelps
Gold Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am
Status: Other

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by englishhelps » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:21 pm

A better strategy to do is get back wealth that was accumulated illegally. Like for the Philippines, a lot of our wealth was taken by our ex President Marcos and his wife and is in a Swiss bank. We should get it back. The same applies for other countries.

I think it would be better to say that the first world countries have a moral obligation to help out those in need. After all, we're in just one world.

halfknot
Silver Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:01 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by halfknot » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:18 pm

By redistributing the global wealth evenly I understand the global amount of money / number of humans.
If it's much or not, I don't know, but I supposed it's medium.
I'm posting to improve my English. If you see any grammar/vocabulary mistake in my post, please let me know.

englishhelps
Gold Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am
Status: Other

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by englishhelps » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:15 pm

Still, the fact remains that it's logistically impossible. It may sounds as if a noble cause, but down the line, it would affect the check and balance of the world.

nicbase
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:35 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by nicbase » Mon May 25, 2015 3:51 pm

It's hard to answer on this question, because on the one hand global wealth should be re-distributed evenly, because lots of people waste their money on useless things, and at the same time the other people in another poor countries are hungry. But on the second hand the rich who were educating for a long time should have a luxury life as though they could waste their money , it's their issue, because of fairness. The were working hard as an ant to to live better. I think that the rich should decide if their wealth is re-distributed or not. the poor should trying to find a job instead of waiting for benefits for unemployment.

OskiDz
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:28 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by OskiDz » Wed May 27, 2015 4:25 pm

I think that global wealth shouldn't be re-distributed evenly. There are a lot of advantages but I think that the biggest disadvantage is that there are a lot of bad people who will use this money for bad intentions.

dębskidzik
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:31 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by dębskidzik » Wed May 27, 2015 5:44 pm

No, i think its a really bad idea, evryone has a different goals. Someone work hard day after day but someone is lazy and dont want to achive great things. So wealth depends on everyone and shouldnt be re-distributed.

natalianowak
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:09 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by natalianowak » Sun May 31, 2015 1:32 pm

I suppose, that global wealth shouldn't be re-disturbed evenly, because this is bad idea. On the world are different people. Some people work, some people are lazy and they don't want to do something useful. The idea would be unjust. But on the other hand this situation would be great for poor people, who want to work for better life, but they live in poor country.

User avatar
aladrelich
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:35 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by aladrelich » Sun May 31, 2015 8:16 pm

I thinkt that global wealth shouldn't be re-disturbed evenly, because it is not a good idea. People who are rich, work really hard to make the money and some people want to be rich but they don't want to work. It isn't fair. But on the other hand people from slumsy would be very happy to change them life!

KubaKoi
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:27 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by KubaKoi » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:21 pm

I think globad wealth shouldn't be re-distributed evenly. Every rich person worked really hard for make money. They spent a lot of time to reach succes. On the same time lazy people didn't do anything. It is not fair to give them money for doing nothing.

User avatar
Krisi
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 4133
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by Krisi » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:37 am

halfknot wrote:It's an unreachable and senseless event. It's not fair to take someone's wealth just because he/she has more than other one. If one works harder than another, it's obvious that he/she deserves more money. Of course, there are lot of cases when the gifted one hardly lives with the amount of money he/she has and a fool can buy his/her entire village. This isn't very fair neither, but you can't make justice with an injustice.
true

User avatar
alicpryl
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:17 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by alicpryl » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:21 pm

I think it isn't possible to global wealth be re-distributed evenly. It's normal that some people are very rich, some poor. In my opinion one group of people should be poorer that the second group can be rich.

agatawerecka
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:28 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by agatawerecka » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:10 pm

It could be fair but the world is not fair. As far as im concerned global wealth shouldnt be re-distributed evenly. It is a very ambiguous thesis. However, I think that it is not true in every sense.

justynasta
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:15 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by justynasta » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:09 pm

In my opinion global wealth shouldn't be re-distributed evenly, because it would destroy the existing economy. Especially it would destroy people. Money changes man for worse man. The world could go mad. I don't want it.

NaKuzajewska
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:22 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by NaKuzajewska » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:46 pm

For my global wealth shouldn't be re-distributed evenly, because it would have many bad effects. If bad people had acces to a lot of money, they would use it to make world worse and then people certainly would regre it.

kowalskidzik
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:32 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by kowalskidzik » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:50 am

No. I think that it would destroy economy. And it's risk

Adifanstal
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:43 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by Adifanstal » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:39 am

No. I think everybody should have that what he was working. It would be a big theft to steal somebody's goods and re-distribute it.

OlaaMej
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:35 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by OlaaMej » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:37 pm

I don't think so, each region has its own wealth and that makes a world so different and interesting. We shouldn't re-distributed global wealth, because this would destroy everything we have so far and we would have to start it all over again.

annmadej
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:12 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by annmadej » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:19 pm

i don't agree with this, i think that this would be very unfair for all people who work very hard for their wealth.

klamolga
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:33 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by klamolga » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:39 pm

This is a hard question often asked by scientists. According to the idea of equality, everyone should get the same kind of wealth. But does everyone deserve the same fate? Or maybe this idea is impossible to meet? After all equality is just a concept with no attachments to the reality.‏

Lucywa
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:44 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by Lucywa » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:02 pm

In my opinion global wealth shouldn't be re-distributed evenly. Sometimes people are poor because they don't want to go to work. Some people worked for many years to have money for a decent life.In the world not everyone can be rich.

kruwik
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:00 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by kruwik » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:37 pm

I think that global wealth souldn't be re-distributed evenly because somebody doesn't know how to use money or what they can do with them. And in result, they will spend them on wrong way or for bad things, for instance on drinking alcohol..

wiktoriasz
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:14 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by wiktoriasz » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:25 am

Definitely it is difficult question but I think that global wealth shouldn't be re-distributed evenly because not everyone merit to have a money. There is a part of people who spent a money on alcohol and drugs and why they should use a global wealth? There are also people who don't work and I think that it would be ~ unfair if they have money just like people who hard work.

User avatar
Krisi
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 4133
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by Krisi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:40 am

What's the purpose? I think somewhere near the end this will also lead to tyranny. :-(

User avatar
ritzkevin
Silver Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:39 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: Philippines

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Post by ritzkevin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:45 pm

Sharing is loving so we better distribute it equally.
Ritz Kevin

Online English teacher/language trainer

Do you want to improve your English or Filipino? I can help. FREE trial

Skype id: housedog1983

Watch my YouTube video: https://youtu.be/iUDpoMJcdso

Post Reply