English grammar questions, answered by Alan
- Posts: 24
- Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:35 am
- Status: Learner of English
Participle clauses can be used after nouns and pronouns.
[Swan: Practical English Usage, 3rd ed., 411.2]
Question: a job cleaning cars
- We can offer you a job cleaning cars.
= a job that cleans cars ?
- Posts: 13163
- Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:56 pm
- Status: Teacher of English
No, rather a job that involves cleaning cars.
'Cleaning' here is a gerund rather than a participle.