English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

Post Reply
Silver Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:30 am


Post by jeab » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:31 pm

When we watch a movie with English subtitle, we see the sentences such as [MEN CHATTERING], [BELLS RINGING], [ANIMAL HOWLING] and [HUMMING CONTINUES]. So chattering, ringing, howling and humming in this case are used as noun, and men, bells, animal are used as adj, right?

User avatar
EC Teacher
EC Teacher
Posts: 12886
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:56 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Japan

Post by Alan » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:04 am

Not quite! 'Chattering, howling' and 'ringing' here are PARTICIPLES modifying the nouns (men, animals, etc.) that precede them, while 'humming' is a GERUND.

Post Reply