Sentence Help

English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

Forumuser

Sentence Help

Post by Forumuser »

Hi, I have this sentence I'm having some trouble with:

"I think you will understand that I do not find it agreeable to show people an unfinished painting …"

Then I want to add in this or something like it: "I think you will understand that I do not find it agreeable to show people an unfinished painting, and use it to get a grant no less …"

I want to make sure I'm using the phrase "no less" correctly? I think I am. But there are also a couple similar (but probably not completely interchangeable) phrases that might be more appropriate: "let alone" and "much less."

I also want to make sure "and" is the correct and also best conjunction to be used there? But what I said "and use it to get a grant no less" is still the gist of what I'm trying to say. Thank you. Appreciate the help.

Now full disclosure: I already posted this on another English grammar site and got the following suggestions:

These seem the best way to express your idea. "No less" is possible, but not what I would choose.

1. I think you will understand that I do not find it agreeable to show people an unfinished painting, let alone use it to get a grant.

2. I think you will understand that I do not find it agreeable to show people an unfinished painting, and certainly not to use it to get a grant.

I'm sure they're passable, but neither of these really roll off the tongue for me when you say/read them. A fresh perspective and someone else's help would be very appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Re: Sentence Help

Post by Alan »

Suggest: ...let alone use it to get a grant.