needs devoted training and practice. The future is vague, and I’ll have to choose my path, sooner or later

English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

xunilxunil

needs devoted training and practice. The future is vague, and I’ll have to choose my path, sooner or later

Post by xunilxunil »

Hello all,
here is my context:
"In my country, I don’t have to go through learning a new language and this is a plus, but if I travel abroad learning a second language would be imperative. Some see this as a great opportunity, but to me, it is more work than I can handle since communicating in another tongue is challenging and needs devoted training and practice. The future is vague, and I’ll have to choose my path, sooner or later."

Source: My teacher's book(Speaking IELTS)

Can I use 'gerund' after go through?! because in dictionary is it defined as follow:
go through something
Is it better to write 'go through the process of learning a new language' or 'go through learning a new language'?

another question: The usage of devoted training is correct and natural for learning new language?!
Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Re: needs devoted training and practice. The future is vague, and I’ll have to choose my path, sooner or later

Post by Alan »

1. Yes. Gerunds can invariably stand in place of nouns.

2. Not really. Try 'dedicated learning'.