English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

hanuman_2000
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

pronoun

Post by hanuman_2000 »

Hello,

All the determines except few e.g. no and every are also prnouns. One way to represent them a pronoun is the use of 'of contruction' like

1.Some of the boys are running there.

On the other hand, they can also be a subtitute of a noun phrase. When they are substitute for a noun phrase, the noun phrase must be mentioned before.

2.All have arrived.

Here it is not clear that the 'all' refers to whom.

On this website I was looking at the pronoun section and found that some indefinite pronouns have been used without having any previous reference.

I would like to know whether we can use them as a standalone pronoun or backward coreference is required.

I have two books. Neither is good. (Here 'neither' refers to 'book' that make sense.)

If it just written like

Either is good. ( without any refernce does not make a sense.)

Thanks.
Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Re: pronoun

Post by Alan »

This type of word is traditionally labelled a pronominal adjective, since, being able to be used with or without its referent being specified, it shares features of both form classes.

To all practical intents and purposes, however, when used without a (directly following) noun or when followed by an of-phrase, they are generally labelled pronouns, whereas, when followed directly by a noun (some boys, etc.) they are labelled adjectives.

It was in part to avoid this kind of rather meaningless argument about form-class that the umbrella term 'determiner' evolved.