Past Simple or Past Perfect in the SINCE subordinate clause?

English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

irmantasgn

Past Simple or Past Perfect in the SINCE subordinate clause?

Post by irmantasgn »

Hello, could anybody help and give some ideas. I would like to find out what tense we use in the subordinate clause with since. Are the following sentences are correct?

1. She had been participating in the programme ever since it started, but last week she quitted.
2. The situation was chaotic. Parents had been withdrawing their children from schools since the epidemic began.
3. I couldn’t wait longer. It had been a whole two hours since he texted me.
4. She was tired. She had been travelling to the city every day since she had moved to the village.
Thank you.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Past Simple or Past Perfect in the SINCE subordinate clause?

Post by Joe »

The most correct form is:

1. She had been participating in the programme ever since it HAD started, but last week she QUIT. :ok:
2. The situation was chaotic. Parents had been withdrawing their children from schools since the epidemic HAD BEGUN. :ok:
3. I couldn’t wait longer. It had been a whole two hours since he HAD texted me. :ok:
4. She was tired. She had been travelling to the city every day since she had HAD moved to the village. :ok:

However, the use of Past Simple in informal usage is quite common among native speakers.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven