To turn email notifications ON or OFF go to [Username] > User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit notification options

Adv./modifiers (yet, still), conj. (before, by, by the time, when, until) in past perfect sentences

English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

irmantasgn

Adv./modifiers (yet, still), conj. (before, by, by the time, when, until) in past perfect sentences

Post by irmantasgn » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:57 am

Hello, could you please help me with the following sentences. I would like to find out if the usage of the time adverbs/modifiers, conjunctions are correct in these past perfect sentences. What changes could you suggest if the usage is not correct?
1. She was tired. She had been travelling to from the country side to the city every day for years.
2. He was tired because he had gone to sleep very late yesterday.
3. When she came home, I hadn't been to the shop yet.
4. When you called me this morning, I still hadn't done anything for school.
5. She still hadn’t had her breakfast because she had been busy playing computer games.
6. He had been playing computer games for two hours before (or by) noon.
7. He had been playing computer games for two hours before (or by) lunch time.
8. How long had she been waiting when the taxi arrived?
9. I’d already prepared lunch when she got home.
10. When she was twenty, she had already been to Australia three times
11. She had already been to Australia three times by the time she was twenty.
12. He had been watching the serial online recently / lately. That was the fifth episode he saw yesterday.
13. He had been playing computer games since yearly morning until parents came back home.
Thank you.

Firefox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Adv./modifiers (yet, still), conj. (before, by, by the time, when, until) in past perfect sentences

Post by Firefox » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:54 am

There are some other minor variations but this is how I would do most of them:

1. She was tired. She had been travelling to from the country side to the city every day for years. :ok:
2. He was tired because he had gone to sleep very late THE DAY BEFORE. :ok:
3. When she came home, I hadn't YET been to the shop. :ok:
4. When you called me this morning, I still hadn't done anything for school. :ok:
5. She still hadn’t had her breakfast because she had been busy playing computer games. :ok:
6. BY NOON he had been playing computer games for two hours :ok: .
7. BY LUNCH TIME he had been playing computer games for two hours. :ok:
8. How long had she been waiting when the taxi arrived? :ok:
9. I’d already prepared lunch when she got home. :ok:
10. BY THE TIME she was twenty, she had already been to Australia three times :ok:
11. She had already been to Australia three times by the time she was twenty. :ok:
12. He HAS been watching the serial online recently / lately. That was the fifth episode he saw yesterday. :ok:
13. He had been playing computer games since early morning WHEN parents came back home. :ok: