Combining future tenses

English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

AliceK

Combining future tenses

Post by AliceK » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:09 pm

Can I say?

I will look for a job when I will have got a degree?

If not, can I ever combine the future simple with the future perfect?

Thank you

Firefox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Combining future tenses

Post by Firefox » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:18 am

I will look for a job when I will have got a degree? :nok: NOT POSSIBLE

If not, can I ever combine the future simple with the future perfect?

"He will arrive at 6pm and I will have finished by then."

But that is two separate clauses with a conjunction so the two tenses are not really combined. I can't think of a case where they could be truly combined.

Boujaada

Re: Combining future tenses

Post by Boujaada » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:07 pm

Dear AliceK,

In replying to your sentence "I will look for a job when I will have got a degree?", I would say that there are three problems with it. The first concerns the use of time clauses, the second is related to the use of "have got" and the third refers to the use of will:

FIRST

1- This sentence is made of two clauses. The first "I will look for a job" is a main clause, so I'm not going to talk about it because it's fine and correct. the second clause "when I will have got a degree" is a subordinate clause starting with a subordinating conjunction "when" referring to time, so we can call it a time clause which is dependent on the main clause.

2- grammatically speaking, when a time clause is referring to the future time, its verb has to be in the present simple tense. So:
"I will look for a job when I will have got a degree" :nok: (there should be no "will")

SECOND

We can substitute "have" with "have got" only if "have" refers to the PRESENT. Here in the above example "have got" refers to the FUTURE, so the correct sentence should be:
:ok: I will look for a job when I have a degree.

THIRD

The sentence "I will look for a job when I have a degree" is a planned decision, but we don't use "will" to express a PLAN. In stead we must use BE GOING TO. so I think that the most correct sentence has to be like this:

:ok: I'm going to look for a job when I have a degree.

Hope this will help! :-D
Along with a decent experience in English teaching, our aim is to share knowledge, offer valuable material, be at your disposal and make English alright and fun.
https://www.english-alright.com/posts/