confusion about the present perfect tense for "the first day", not for other days

English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

ansonman
Rising Star
Rising Star

confusion about the present perfect tense for "the first day", not for other days

Post by ansonman »

I am very very confused about the use of present perfect related to "first day ".

For example,

(1) Suppose that you will make a pizza next Wednesday. You say: Next Wedneday will be the first day I have made a pizza.

(2) Suppose that you are making a pizza right now. You say: Today is the first day I have made a pizza.

A lot of native English speakers say that the present perfect works for both (1) and (2) without explaining why. I really don't understand that. In (1), your making a pizza will take place next Wednesday. In (2), your making a pizza is happening right now.

May I ask two related questions?

(A) Is there a reason why you have to use the present perfect if an action either will be done in the future or is being done right now?

(B) What if it's not the first day, but it's the second day? For example,

(3) Next Wednesday will be the second day I make a pizza.

(4) Today is the second day I am making a pizza.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand that I can ask only one question per post. However, I'm completely puzzled by this grammatical concept. My last two examples (3) and (4) are meant to help me learn whether the "rule" for (1) and (2) is applicable to them.

This problem has been confusing me for a long time. Alan, could you please answer my questions in the simplest way? I'm sure your explanation will improve my understanding of this concept. I really appreciate your valuable time and help. Many thanks.
Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Re: confusion about the present perfect tense for "the first day", not for other days

Post by Alan »

Strictly speaking, it should be

Next Wednesday will be the first day I WILL have made a pizza.

but colloquially, for the sake of brevity, the future perfect here would often be reduced to the present perfect.