TOEFL Question

English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

TomLin

TOEFL Question

Post by TomLin »

Hi, there. I’m new member of this forum. My English grammar is poor, and I think this forum can help me improve.

There is the question:

Research on the benefits and harms associated with drinking coffee ______ contradictory findings.

(A) has produced. (B) that have produced
(C) it has produced. (D) to have produced

The answer is (A), and the explain indicates that (B) is lack of main clause. What main clause means? Does “Research … coffee” not the main clause?

I’ll appreciate those who can answer the question!
Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Re: TOEFL Question

Post by Alan »

To put it simply, the main clause of a sentence is the minimum needed to actually form a complete sentence, technically the SUBJECT (here: research) and the PREDICATE, which consists of a finite verb (here: has) possibly plus other elements, which may be other verb forms (such as here: produced) and object phrases (here: contradictory findings).

Thus, of the available choices in your practice question, only (A) enables the formation of a complete sentence.

(I would advise you, from now on, to try consulting the ESL Learning Centre for general questions about the meanings of basic grammatical terms, without which it may be difficult for us to help you in this forum. Good luck!)