confusing grammar

English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

amamsa

confusing grammar

Post by amamsa »

I have come acroos this in a textbook:

She explained us the problem x She explained the problem to us.

The second option is supposed to be correct but I am not sure why. It makes sense if we replace the problem by it (She explained it to us) but otherwise I thought we put the a pronoun first.
Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Re: confusing grammar

Post by Alan »

A very good question!

The issue here is whether a verb is classified as MONOTRANSITIVE or DITRANSITIVE.

A ditransitive verb is one that can govern an indirect object (i.e. a noun or objective-case pronoun preceding the direct object and which is the 'recipient' of the action but not preceded by 'to'). Thus, the verb 'give' is ditransitive, since it is possible to say

I gave him the money.

as well as less natural (unless emphatic),

I gave the money to him.

'The verb 'explain', on the other hand, is monotransitive, and we have therefore no option other than to use 'to' to indicate the recipient of the explanation.

Thus, e.g.

I explained the situation to him.

and not

*I explained him the situation.

However, while the classification of the verbs 'give' and 'explain' is the same in all varieties of standard English, usage can vary between British and American English. For instance, in BrE the verb 'provide' is montransitive (you provide someone (DIR. OBJ) with something (ADV. COMPL.), whereas in AmE it is generally ditransitive, so that you provide someone (IND. OBJ.) something (DIR. OBJ.).