Why does "who" work in one context but not in the other?

English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

ansonman
Rising Star
Rising Star

Why does "who" work in one context but not in the other?

Post by ansonman »

Thank you for all your help, Alan.

I am very confused here. I had a post under the title, "a man (who/whom?that) I met" on May 19 AND another post under the title, "unpleasant experiences of yours and a gentleman, who" on May 17.

the May 19 post
(1) I had an interesting conversation with a man I met on my last trip to Europe.
(2) I had an interesting conversation with a man that I met on my last trip to Europe.
(3) I had an interesting conversation with a man who I met on my last trip to Europe.
(4) I had an interesting conversation with a man whom I met on my last trip to Europe.

Your answer was "All are possible."

the May 17 post
(5) You say to your friend, "I am sorry to hear about the unpleasant experiences of yours and those of a gentlemen who I met at my cousin's birthday party."

Your answer was
--> "I am sorry to hear about your unpleasant experiences and (about) those of a gentlemen that I met at my cousin's birthday party."

What's confusing me is this. In (5), my mistake was "a gentlement WHO I met" and your correction was "a gentlemen THAT I met". However, you said (1) to (4) were all possible, including "a man who I met" and "a man that I met".

I really don't understand why "who" works for (3) but not for (5). Please explain this further. Thank you very much for your help again.
Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Re: Why does "who" work in one context but not in the other?

Post by Alan »

'Who' would not be incorrect here; 'that' is simply more natural (for restrictive relative clauses).

The focus of my correction re. May 17 was the overall structure/word order.