since 1997, the world's premier FREE website for learners + teachers of English

What is the name of the £ sign?

Frequently Asked Questions about English

Moderators: Krisi, Vega, TalkingPoint

Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:11 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: UK

What is the name of the £ sign?

Postby EC » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:27 pm

What is the name and origin of the £ sign?

The £ sign is called a "pound sign". It is a currency symbol for pounds sterling (GBP) and other pounds. It is basically a capital letter L, written in old-fashioned roundhand, with one or two crossbars added to indicate that it is being used as a symbol. The L stands for the Latin word "libra", the name of a Roman unit of weight.

Return to “English Language FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest