Page 1 of 1

What is the name of the £ sign?

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:27 pm
by EC
What is the name and origin of the £ sign?

The £ sign is called a "pound sign". It is a currency symbol for pounds sterling (GBP) and other pounds. It is basically a capital letter L, written in old-fashioned roundhand, with one or two crossbars added to indicate that it is being used as a symbol. The L stands for the Latin word "libra", the name of a Roman unit of weight.