HURRICANE KATRINA - Destroys New Orleans

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderators: Vega, EC

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

HURRICANE KATRINA - Destroys New Orleans

Postby Shazzam » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:48 am

Hurricane KATRINA.

New Orleans may never be resurrected. That is the news coming from the area that is totally devasted in the USA. It is being noted as the worst disaster to ever hit America. So many people have lost their lives and their property and lively-hood.

The news is that lawlessness is running rampid. Australia has offered help. Other countries should join in. During the Tsunami in Indonesia every country came in to offer help. The same should apply here. America needs help. Lets face it so many countries have benefited from America.

Put aside feelings related to war and religion. This is about helping people live.

I hope the World can put all their feelings aside and help these people that are in crisis.

I will continue to post here as news come to hand.

At this point the news is so grim.

Please lets extend our hands in friendship during this terrible tragedy. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6341
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya
Contact:

Postby Dixie » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:30 am

I just heard that the government is not helping.

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Shazzam » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:13 pm

Dixie wrote:I just heard that the government is not helping.


What Government Dixie? :cry:

User avatar
idalia
Gold Member
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:01 am
Location: mexico

Postby idalia » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:41 am

Dixie wrote:I just heard that the government is not helping.


American government, right? What BUsh did was to send soldiers to that zone and they have the order to shoot anyone who commit a crime, like steal food or water, because people there don't have anything left. :?

Saku
Silver Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 6:23 am

Postby Saku » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:44 pm

Today I watched TV and it talked about this disaster. So terrible! More than 10,000 people died and they said they would kill each other because they were too hungry. A new image of America appears.

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 pm
Status: Other
Location: European Union

Postby Hardi » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:04 pm

It's terrible, but I wonder to countries will expand now more time/money to search ways to break global warming too...

User avatar
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 7:05 am
Status: English Learner
Location: Vietnam

Postby Arale » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:14 pm

Most people getting stuck in New Orleans are black ones, who aren't rich enough to get off the disaster before it happened. The Bush's administration has been so slow in action to help people there. More terrible, all people who gather what's left are shot immediately. Why do they have to do so? "We are too hungry", that's what they said.

_Arale_
Nothing lasts forever...

User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: USA

Postby Danyet » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:08 pm

Arale wrote:More terrible, all people who gather what's left are shot immediately.
_Arale_


That is not true. People are taking whatever they need. They are not being shot. However, the situation is made worse by another element that I have no explanation for. The people are being kept against their will in that superdome that is on the news. They want to get out and go to safety outside the city but they have been LOCKED INSIDE by so-called athorities. There is only one road that now leads out of the city BUT a check point or road block has been set up there to prevent anyone from escaping.
A group of tourists who had to leave their hotels tried to walk out of the city but police fired warning shots over their heads to make them turn around. Those police are lucky that I was not there..... because I would have shot back.

This is very disturbing. Why is government taken citizen rights off these people? On whos' athority? Who is in charge? I want his name.

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Shazzam » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:42 pm

danyet wrote:
Arale wrote:More terrible, all people who gather what's left are shot immediately.
_Arale_


That is not true. People are taking whatever they need. They are not being shot. However, the situation is made worse by another element that I have no explanation for. The people are being kept against their will in that superdome that is on the news. They want to get out and go to safety outside the city but they have been LOCKED INSIDE by so-called athorities. There is only one road that now leads out of the city BUT a check point or road block has been set up there to prevent anyone from escaping.
A group of tourists who had to leave their hotels tried to walk out of the city but police fired warning shots over their heads to make them turn around. Those police are lucky that I was not there..... because I would have shot back.

This is very disturbing. Why is government taken citizen rights off these people? On whos' athority? Who is in charge? I want his name.


The news that is coming through here is terrible. 50 Australians were stranded in New Orleands. Two media companies in Australia have managed to go in and get a handful of Australians out with security guards. Apparently from reports from these survivors what is going on there is frightening. There are gangs that are committing terrible acts in that superdome. It is absolutely disgusting.

The American government needs to concentrate all of its efforts to get this situation fixed up immediately. Australia has offered help but it has been refused at this point. We aren't allowed to send any diplomatic efforts over to help our citizens (for security reasons). I mean what is that about?

When the Tsunami hit Indonesia the whole world was there quickly and action was taken swiftly to try and help people get fresh water, food, clothes etc. America has to accept the help if they need it.

:twisted: :twisted: :cry:

User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: USA

Postby Danyet » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:35 am

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer yesterday said Americans were refusing to allow Australian consular officials into New Orleans.


A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesman said about 40 Australians had now escaped New Orleans. "We now know of less than 20 Australians who may still be in the affected area and may be awaiting evacuation," he said.

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Shazzam » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:26 am

News is coming through here tonight that police have shot several gang members that were rampaging and terrorising people in New Orleans.

The people that are committing these crimes don't seem to have any respect for human life; so what do they expect.

I don't feel sorry for them at all. I think they deserve what they get. To behave in such a way in the middle of such a tragedy. The people I feel sorry for are the police that have to deal with these sorts of situations. :shock:

trinity19
Silver Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Barcelona

Postby trinity19 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:21 pm

i don't know but in tv they're saying that people are being treated like dogs, that the rescue forces only care about keeping the order (which is important) but not about people who need to eat...of course, crazy people taking advantatge of such a horrible situation doesn't make the things better but it seems that the governtment isn't reacting as they should, isn't it?

leen@rasel
Silver Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 3:28 pm

Postby leen@rasel » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:05 am

i was really vexed and sad when i heard this news ,the U.S government failed it's community and people who paid for such a leazy reaction are those of this humane disaster...may God be with them

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Shazzam » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:57 am

leen__rasel wrote:i was really vexed and sad when i heard this news ,the U.S government failed it's community and people who paid for such a leazy reaction are those of this humane disaster...may God be with them


I totally agree. I am so disappointed with the US Government I really did expect more powerful leadership than this.

To the rest of the World looks upon the US as being the most powerful Government in the world; it doesn't exactly paint them that way.

If you can't look after your own; and the people there that are visitors in your country with some sort of respect, close the doors. :shock:

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Shazzam » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:10 pm

danyet wrote:Foreign Minister Alexander Downer yesterday said Americans were refusing to allow Australian consular officials into New Orleans.


A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesman said about 40 Australians had now escaped New Orleans. "We now know of less than 20 Australians who may still be in the affected area and may be awaiting evacuation," he said.


Still 20 people too many in my book! We could have dealt with this issue and had ALL Australians home by now if we had been authorised to do so. :roll:

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:35 am

shazzam1452 wrote: I totally agree. I am so disappointed with the US Government I really did expect more powerful leadership than this.

This is Bush Administration for you :x . It took him three frigging days to get there, and all he did was hugging some kids. Where was he when their houses got destroyed? Now he came to hug them to show he "cares" since they were all clean and stuff. This is bs... I wonder how people who voted for Bush sleep at night. They gave their rights to the devil :x .

User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: USA

Postby Danyet » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:05 am

LennyeTran wrote:This is Bush Administration for you :x . It took him three frigging days to get there, and all he did was hugging some kids. Where was he when their houses got destroyed? Now he came to hug them to show he "cares" since they were all clean and stuff. This is bs... I wonder how people who voted for Bush sleep at night. They gave their rights to the devil :x .
Woh there baby! Do you have any idea how USA works? Bush had no responsibility in this except that he could have gone on TV and reinforced what LA's government already said, Ëvacuate". This is a states right issue and the Feds have no part in giving evacuation orders or getting transport for anyone unless the state asks for help........which they did NOT.

Who cares if he went to LA or did not go to LA. It makes no difference. All he has to do is give an order anyway. He should not have to go anywhere. If he does, it is only to appease some touchy feely sissy types in order to get a good photo op.

So, lets face it. You just want to whine about Bush.......again!

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:49 pm

danyet wrote: Woh there baby! Do you have any idea how USA works? Bush had no responsibility in this except that he could have gone on TV and reinforced what LA's government already said, Ëvacuate". This is a states right issue and the Feds have no part in giving evacuation orders or getting transport for anyone unless the state asks for help........which they did NOT.
Who cares if he went to LA or did not go to LA. It makes no difference. All he has to do is give an order anyway. He should not have to go anywhere. If he does, it is only to appease some touchy feely sissy types in order to get a good photo op.

As being a President, he should be there for his fellow citizens. That's his job. Don't you tell me he should not be here or there. It's because he should and he must. If he shouldn't or couldn't or musn't, then resign and let somebody else does the job, somebody who cares enough to be there for the people who needs him.
And that's what he did. He went there for a the photo shoots and shaking hands. If he didn't go there for those, where was he when it happened? We all know he has private jets that could take him anywhere in a second. Where was he? Where was he? And again, where was he? In a golf course? In Iraq? In his office thinking of whether he should take a vacation this year or not? Or what? And when the news came, he responded like he did when 9/11 happened, "hmmmm... which bas*** should I blame on now? Which one should I blame to make me look not that bad? Well, this is a natural cause, so I'd better think of something fast. Oh yeah, the levee. Why didn't I think of that..." blah blah blah and there we go, it took him days to figure it out.


danyet wrote:So, lets face it. You just want to whine about Bush.......again!

Yes, because he's a lousy President; therefore, he should be criticized. Whatever he does will be criticirzed, anyway. That's a part of his frigging job. He's not Almightly King that no one can criticize him, don't you forget that :x .
I will not stop complaining until he does his jobs right before his term ends. I go to work; I pay the taxes. Thus, I've got my rights to complain. Right now, I'm a blue collar, and did you know the tax rate of Alameda county, where I live, is the highest tax rate in the whole nation. Yeah, thanks to one of your Republican men, Arnold blah blah blah, whatever his last name is :roll: . He can't even say California right, and he knows nothing about politics, but he still wanted to be in office anyway. I wonder how people who voted for him sleep at night. They're Californians, but they, themselves have f***ing up California.

User avatar
Miss. Ladybird
Gold Member
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: Middle East
Contact:

Postby Miss. Ladybird » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:24 pm

It is a real catastrophe………….. I feel sorry for those who lost their beloved ones and for those who lost their houses.
I pray to God to help them in these difficult times…….
My sincere condolence to all of you……….Americans……….

User avatar
Miss. Ladybird
Gold Member
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: Middle East
Contact:

Postby Miss. Ladybird » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:29 pm

danyet wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:This is Bush Administration for you :x . It took him three frigging days to get there, and all he did was hugging some kids. Where was he when their houses got destroyed? Now he came to hug them to show he "cares" since they were all clean and stuff. This is bs... I wonder how people who voted for Bush sleep at night. They gave their rights to the devil :x .
Woh there baby! Do you have any idea how USA works? Bush had no responsibility in this except that he could have gone on TV and reinforced what LA's government already said, Ëvacuate". This is a states right issue and the Feds have no part in giving evacuation orders or getting transport for anyone unless the state asks for help........which they did NOT.

Who cares if he went to LA or did not go to LA. It makes no difference. All he has to do is give an order anyway. He should not have to go anywhere. If he does, it is only to appease some touchy feely sissy types in order to get a good photo op.

So, lets face it. You just want to whine about Bush.......again!

How dare they ask for helps from MR. PRISEDENT :!: :!: :arrow: :arrow: ……………It's all LA state's fault :arrow: :arrow: ………….
:arrow: Maybe if somebody told Mr. President that this was in Iraq, he would be running to it with all the help he got ..........barefoot………………..


Return to “Current News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests