Battle for Taiwan

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Unknownsu
Platinum Member

Battle for Taiwan

Postby Unknownsu » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:22 pm

Heated arguments have been made on both sides. China wants control over the small island of Taiwan for political pride and economical growth and has stated many times that they will not give up. The Taiwanese government wants independence for its people and democracy throughout the island. The US and Japan have sided with Taiwan and fears of war has been on the horizon.

Will there be war? What is your take on this?

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:34 am

Taiwan, of course. Mainland China has been playing a 'big brother' to other countries. Now it's time it should stop. And no more island should become another communist area, please.

Admiral

Postby Admiral » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:56 am

China, of course. And I bet people who don't understand the historical background to be quiet and to read.

Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Danyet » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:10 am

The people of Taiwan have already spoken so this question is useless waste of time. Taiwan will remain free and free of China.

Admiral

Postby Admiral » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:23 am

Ohyes, USA will solve this problem, won't they?

Unknownsu
Platinum Member

Postby Unknownsu » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:08 am

Read the question correctly, guys. I did not ask who will win if there is an outbreak of war, I asked do you think war between these two nations will happen and what reasons do you have for believing so.

Unknownsu
Platinum Member

Postby Unknownsu » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:09 am

danyet wrote:The people of Taiwan have already spoken so this question is useless waste of time. Taiwan will remain free and free of China.

Perhaps you are right since whatever is discussed here will have no effect on what will happen. Just because Taiwan wants freedom, they won't necessarily get it handed to them.

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:48 pm

Unknownsu wrote:Read the question correctly, guys. I did not ask who will win if there is an outbreak of war, I asked do you think war between these two nations will happen and what reasons do you have for believing so.

You asked for my takes and I took Taiwan with my reasons. Did I miss something? :?

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:50 pm

Admiral wrote:China, of course. And I bet people who don't understand the historical background to be quiet and to read.

Admiral, we've had a dicussion about this in the past, and I know you long for communism, but don't understand historical background???? Give me a break, dude....

Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Danyet » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:50 pm

It is hard to say if USA will make good on it's promise to back Taiwan if China attacks. It would not surprize me if USA was too chicken to help little Taiwan in her time of need, especially after the beating the radical left and leftist media has given USA on Iraq.

Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Danyet » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:53 pm

edit double post
Last edited by Danyet on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unknownsu
Platinum Member

Postby Unknownsu » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:01 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
Unknownsu wrote:Read the question correctly, guys. I did not ask who will win if there is an outbreak of war, I asked do you think war between these two nations will happen and what reasons do you have for believing so.

You asked for my takes and I took Taiwan with my reasons. Did I miss something? :?

Yeah, you missed the entire question. I asked you what's your take (your opinions and ideas), not what side you will take.

Unknownsu
Platinum Member

Postby Unknownsu » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:06 pm

danyet wrote:It is hard to say if USA will make good on it's promise to back Taiwan if China attacks. It would not surprize me if USA was too chicken to help little Taiwan in her time of need, especially after the beating the radical left and leftist media has given USA on Iraq.

I understand that China has become one of the world's superpowers. I honestly don't think this war will happen anytime soon. China, the US and Japan cannot handle such a blow to their economies. And as you said, the Bush administration's support over Iraq has been dwindling rapidly. If the US and Japan opts to stay out of this debate over the island, with China's standing army, Taiwan would be crushed in a matter of days.

Is the US afraid of China? In a way, they should be since China has the largest standing army in the world but they're not well equipped. China would not risk fighting the US because NATO would step in and trade embargoes will ensue which, in turn, would crash the fragile Chinese economy.

Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Danyet » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:40 am

I think that China is just crazy enough to stand by the principle that they believe in regardless of the possible consequences. That's scary!

netyugi

Postby netyugi » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:16 am

I feel sory for you!
Taiwan isn't a nation, before, now and forever!
In 1949, GMT government gave way from mainland of China to Taiwan, and PRC established. But Taiwan is still a part of China, even it is not belong to PRC. Can you say that Taiwanese is not Chinese?
If communism is good thing, why not?

Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Danyet » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:46 am

netyugi wrote:Taiwan isn't a nation, before, now and forever!
In 1949, GMT government gave way from mainland of China to Taiwan, and PRC established. But Taiwan is still a part of China, even it is not belong to PRC. Can you say that Taiwanese is not Chinese?
Since China has recently banned SKYPE and Wikapedia I doubt that you can make an informed opinion.

Unknownsu
Platinum Member

Postby Unknownsu » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:50 am

danyet wrote:I think that China is just crazy enough to stand by the principle that they believe in regardless of the possible consequences. That's scary!

I fear you are right. Since Asians put a lot of emphasis on "face", it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see China going all out on Taiwan fully aware of what will happen to their country in the aftermath.

Unknownsu
Platinum Member

Postby Unknownsu » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:58 am

netyugi wrote:I feel sory for you!

You feel sorry for me? And why's that?

So what if Taiwanese are Chinese? I'm Chinese, does that mean I have to live in China?

Is Taiwan currently part of China? The Taiwanese doesn't seem to think so.

Does China have control over Taiwan? Absolutely not!

Is communism a good thing? I don't think so and it seems more than half the world agrees with me.

Please, if you come here to contribute intelligent conversation, then by all means, speak your mind. But if you come here with a mind full of rehearsed patriotic slogans, then I advise you to get off your high patriotic horse and see the world through an unbiased eye. I understand this is a sensitive topic for most Chinese and Taiwanese. As for the Chinese, ask yourself, honestly, what do you personally gain if Taiwan returns to China?

netyugi

Postby netyugi » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:42 pm

Unknownsu wrote:
netyugi wrote:I feel sory for you!

You feel sorry for me? And why's that?

So what if Taiwanese are Chinese? I'm Chinese, does that mean I have to live in China?

Is Taiwan currently part of China? The Taiwanese doesn't seem to think so.

Does China have control over Taiwan? Absolutely not!

Is communism a good thing? I don't think so and it seems more than half the world agrees with me.

Please, if you come here to contribute intelligent conversation, then by all means, speak your mind. But if you come here with a mind full of rehearsed patriotic slogans, then I advise you to get off your high patriotic horse and see the world through an unbiased eye. I understand this is a sensitive topic for most Chinese and Taiwanese. As for the Chinese, ask yourself, honestly, what do you personally gain if Taiwan returns to China?

1. I am sorry for you because you said Taiwan is a nation.

2. I don't think if someone is Chinese, then he must live in China.

3. Taiwan is a part of (Republic of) China! All of Taiwanese think so.

4. The same as above, (Republic of) China is controlling over Taiwan.

5. What communism do you think is not a good thing? I don't think the Chinese Communist Party is a really Communist Party. Do you know USSR? Even if it is not better than USA, it is as good as USA. And now it is capitalism, is it better than USSR?

6. You are correct, I cannot get any personally gain from it after Taiwan returns to China, as well as Hongkong and Macau come back to China. But China is our motherland, I love China is not means I love the Chinese Communist Party. Maybe you cannot understand this point.

I come here just for practising my english, and I am sorry my english isn't good enough.

You maybe missed what all I said is that Taiwan is still a part of China!

Admiral

Postby Admiral » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:57 pm

Since China has recently banned SKYPE and Wikapedia I doubt that you can make an informed opinion.

What are you talking about? http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%A6%96%E9%A1%B5
http://blog.xintiantang.com/skype/e_396.html

Admiral

Postby Admiral » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:01 pm

I really doubt why europeans help USA beating Iraq, and why the USA wanna support Taiwan.
If they haven't killed somebody for a long time, they can buy half-life.

http://half-life2.com/

Return to “Current News”