If you are ever morally confused about a major world issue, here is a rule that is almost never violated: Whenever you hear that "world opinion" holds a view, assume it is morally wrong.
And here is a related rule if your religious or national or ethnic group ever suffers horrific persecution: "World opinion" will never do a thing for you. Never.
"World opinion" has little or nothing to say about the world's greatest evils and regularly condemns those who fight evil.
The history of "world opinion" regarding the greatest mass murders and cruelties on the planet is one of relentless apathy.
Ask the 1.5 million Armenians massacred by the Ottoman Turks;
* or the 6 million Ukrainians slaughtered by Stalin;
* or the tens of millions of other Soviet citizens killed by Stalin's Soviet Union;
* or the 6 million Jews murdered by the Nazis and their helpers throughout Europe;
* or the 60 million Chinese butchered by Mao;
* or the 2 million Cambodians murdered by Pol Pot;
* or the millions killed and enslaved in Sudan;
* or the Tutsis murdered in Rwanda's genocide;
* or the millions starved to death and enslaved in North Korea;
* or the million Tibetans killed by the Chinese;
* or the million-plus Afghans put to death by Brezhnev's Soviet Union.
Ask any of these poor souls, or the hundreds of millions of others slaughtered, tortured, raped and enslaved in the last 100 years, if "world opinion" did anything for them.
On the other hand, we learn that "world opinion" is quite exercised over Israel's unintentional killing of a few hundred Lebanese civilians behind whom hides Hezbollah — a terror group that intentionally sends missiles at Israeli cities and whose announced goals are the annihilation of Israel and the Islamicization of Lebanon. And, of course, "world opinion" was just livid at American abuses of some Iraqi prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison in Baghdad. In fact, "world opinion" is constantly upset with America and Israel, two of the most decent countries on earth, yet silent about the world's cruelest countries.
Why is this?
First, television news.
Second, "world opinion" is shaped by the same lack of courage that shapes most individual human beings' behavior.
Those who don't fight evil condemn those who do.
It is when "world opinion" and its news media start liking you that you should wonder if you've lost your way.