30 killed on Virginia Tech campus

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderator: EC

Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote:I think that the biggest failure here is that the records that showed that he was dangerous were ignored by a judge, who refused to have him treated in a state hospital. This was even after psychologists had said that he was dangerous to the public.
Yeah, I wonder why he wasn't treated properly. Did his family pull him out of the treatment, or the authority decided that he would be fine afterwards? I mean, it'd be imbecile if they thought he would be fine by himself.
Actually I heard today that his parents has already warned the School that their son was suicidal.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

danyet wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote:I think that the biggest failure here is that the records that showed that he was dangerous were ignored by a judge, who refused to have him treated in a state hospital. This was even after psychologists had said that he was dangerous to the public.
Yeah, I wonder why he wasn't treated properly. Did his family pull him out of the treatment, or the authority decided that he would be fine afterwards? I mean, it'd be imbecile if they thought he would be fine by himself.
Actually I heard today that his parents has already warned the School that their son was suicidal.
Yeh but think about it?? Suicidal is different from HOMICIDAL!!! It is hear-say! You can't go with that.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Although the two terms are different, the guy clearly had some mental disorders that led him to commit suicide. His problems shouldn't have been ignored.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

danyet wrote: Actually I heard today that his parents has already warned the School that their son was suicidal.
His parents? They came out to talk? :shock: Last time, I read some news and it said they committed suicide after hearing about what their son did. And I know his sister has been in hiding. According to what I've heard from the news I have to say, what a strange family!
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote: Actually I heard today that his parents has already warned the School that their son was suicidal.
His parents? They came out to talk? :shock: Last time, I read some news and it said they committed suicide after hearing about what their son did. And I know his sister has been in hiding. According to what I've heard from the news I have to say, what a strange family!
No! I haven't heard the parents but I heard on a national radio talk program that they warned the school.
Can you imagine being that creeps room mate? I
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

All his roommates survived, so I guess they didn't bug him that much. And how did they know the parents warned the school? :?
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Don't know Lenny Babe. Just heard the talk show guy say it! You will have to do a google and then tell me.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

They finally came out today!

"Our family is so very sorry for my brother's unspeakable actions. It is a terrible tragedy for all of us," said Sun-Kyung Cho, a 2004 Princeton University graduate who works as a contractor for a State Department office that oversees American aid for
Iraq.

"We pray for their families and loved ones who are experiencing so much excruciating grief. And we pray for those who were injured and for those whose lives are changed forever because of what they witnessed and experienced," she said. "Each of these people had so much love, talent and gifts to offer, and their lives were cut short by a horrible and senseless act."

"We are humbled by this darkness. We feel hopeless, helpless and lost. This is someone that I grew up with and loved. Now I feel like I didn't know this person," Cho's sister said. "We have always been a close, peaceful and loving family. My brother was quiet and reserved, yet struggled to fit in. We never could have envisioned that he was capable of so much violence."

They finally commented
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Hmmm... I kinda doubt about the part a close family. They didn't sound close to me. I mean, the news said his roommates never saw any of his family members visited him. That's not how a close family should act. :?
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Another person shot at NASA

Post by Shazzam »

Well there is another shooting someone was shot at NASA. What the????
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

samck wrote:It is tragedy again . As we know it isn’t the first time about campus killing in the U.S.A So I am not in shock ,I believe it will be not the last tragedy. Because It is so easy to get arms for the citizens.
I believe this is not the only reason why there are school shootings in the States. Media and violent video games play a huge part also.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Another person shot at NASA

Post by MissLT »

Shazzam wrote:Well there is another shooting someone was shot at NASA. What the????
Where? :?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Shazzam wrote:Well there is another shooting someone was shot at NASA. What the????
I didn't hear anything. What happened?
Yen

Post by Yen »

Last month, my class had conference about "bowling of columbine", we was told about the Columbine High School masscare in 1999. Two teenage students killed 12 students and teacher. I couldn't believe this situation is happen again. How scary it is.
You can find more information in http://www.youtube.com

I agree with Lennye Tran."Media and violent video games play a huge part also" It's not because in the US we can buy the gun. In Canada, we can buy guns easier than in the US but there don't have any crimes.

Moreover, the South Koreans are worrying they might singled out for discrimination in the US as a result of the shooting because in the News, they are always emphasize the killer is Asian or he is Korean while if that killer is white, they avoid to say his nationality.... Do you notice that??

[/url]
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Yen wrote: Moreover, the South Koreans are worrying they might singled out for discrimination in the US as a result of the shooting because in the News, they are always emphasize the killer is Asian or he is Korean while if that killer is white, they avoid to say his nationality.... Do you notice that??
The reason why I didn't go in this whole race thing because I think it was unnecessary. From what you said, if the gunman was a white person, they wouldn't say which ethnicity he really was. I think you forgot one thing that Caucasians have been in the US for many generations. Most of them are, as I usually joke around, mutts. They refer themselves as Caucasian or White. They don't say, "Hey, I'm Italian-Polish-English-Spanish." (my ex was). Same with African-Americans. Asians, on the other hand, are quite different. This guy, obviously, was only 1.5 generation. He was still Korean although he'd been in the States most of his life. Therefore, I don't see anything wrong when they called him Korean.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Yen wrote: Moreover, the South Koreans are worrying they might singled out for discrimination in the US
Some Korean communities even went further to apologize for what this guy did. Maybe you have a different perception of this apology than I, but I was quite irritated when they did it. I didn't take it as a genuine gesture. Instead it seemed racist to me. I can understand why the family had to apologize. He was a part of his family after all. And they was indirectly responsible for what he did as a rule of what family means. Other Koreans, on the other hand, have done nothing. Why did they feel the need to apologize for? Just because he was Korean? Therefore, they indirectly singled him out as a a member of their community, and not an individual of the States. Then they're afraid people would take revenge on them because they're Koreans who did not kill those students. Now, who is the racist one, tell me please?
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

Dixie wrote:
It was posted on msn news here over the weekend I think it happened on Friday; you should be able to find something out about it on the net. I couldn't believe it. :roll:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Shazzam wrote:
Dixie wrote:
It was posted on msn news here over the weekend I think it happened on Friday; you should be able to find something out about it on the net. I couldn't believe it. :roll:
I can't find it. :?
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

LennyeTran wrote:
Shazzam wrote:
Dixie wrote: I didn't hear anything. What happened?
I can't find it. :?
http://news.google.com.au/news?q=Shooti ... s&ct=title

Try this link Lenny
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Thanks, Shazzam. I didn't hear this news at all. I wonder why the US media didn't talk about it. :shock:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Exactly!

The education system is run by Brown Shirts and "prissy people". I volunteer at a school helping ESL kids and I am often in a situation where I must "bite my tounge". You can't say anything that does not agree with the Liberal left agenda there. That professor should go on The O'Reily Factor.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Well, I only watched the first 30 seconds of his first clip, so I don't know what to comment until I finish all four. It'd be hard, though, since his voice is soooooooooo boring. That's why I kinda play favor here, I think he deserved it, not for the imitating of the shooting part. Instead he should be fired because of his monotonous voice. I wouldn't last a day in his class.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Yeah, the guy is a bit of a sap! But he got better towards the end.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Which minute?
jrkp
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jrkp »

Then they're afraid people would take revenge on them because they're Koreans who did not kill those students. Now, who is the racist one, tell me please?
That´s the point!!! You see, I´m glad to hear that an american citizen like you think in that way, but, sadly, there are a few of your fellow countryman and countrywoman which don´t share your point of view. If you want an explanation to understand korean community behavior, you should review recent american history. How we could forget americans behavior after 9/11 (a few of them of course), when anyone looks like an arab were considered as a terrorist, including those who have been living in american soil for generations.

I believe that kind of behavior it´s pretty normal into societies whose citizen have suffered traumatic episodes like this one. When people don´t have a logical anwser to justify this kind of senseless event, they always look for a scapegoat, and I think that korean community is trying to avoid it before it could be too late.To make my point clear, you should remember what happened in Columbine, where Marylin Mason were pointed out as the responsable for that massacre, only because those guys listened his music.

If you want to understand it, you should wear their shoes, I mean think as an immigrant.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Yes, I know where you're coming from, but what I was trying to say is that, if you wanted someone not to act prejudiced towards you, you have to stand tall and give them all reasons they can't. Otherwise, they will forever look for a scapegoat when something happens.

People who can think logically won't look for someone else within the same community to blame; they blame that person instead. The other ignorants are no point to discuss since you can't change their view despite of what. However, they know they can't do anything to you legally because you're protected by the laws just as much as they are.

Koreans who apologized for this act they didn't do have given away their right, to me. They can show their sympathy, but they didn't have to apologize. There was no need. If they were being discriminated, I think they should stand up straight and say, "I'm sorry for what you've gone through. As a family member and as a parent or will be one, I understand your pain. Nonetheless, I didn't do it! I don't have to feel guilty for what I didn't do. Blame the society like the rest of regular people."
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

jrkp wrote:How we could forget americans behavior after 9/11 (a few of them of course), when anyone looks like an arab were considered as a terrorist, including those who have been living in american soil for generations.
The difference is that they didn't apologize; they demanded for protection because they knew they were protected by the laws. International and born-here Middle East students in my school were protected by the security for a whole month after 9.11 happened. Two girls in my anthropology class told me they came to the Dean office and demanded protection, and the Dean felt it was right to protect them from imbecile students. That's what Koreans should do.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

It is so strange I was in class on Friday and this story is still a big thing even here. There is so much debate about why it happened etc. I must admit I reached a point that I just couldn't add anything to it. Obviously this young man had serious, serious issues that obviously weren't dealt with correctly. But there is more to it. The gun laws are one thing! People that have been recorded to have had counselling for emotional or mental issues should fall into the category of "DONT GIVE THEM A GUN". It is a really hard debate.

Ultimately at the end of the day it won't bring back the innocent people that were killed that day. Ok maybe they were money hungry and nasty etc (show me a teenager that can't be this way) it didn't mean that they deserved to die or that their families deserved the pain of losing their children, friends, grandchild etc. It is just too hard to think about.
:cry: :cry:
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Well it is no longer a big thing here. We've already gotten over it!

Anyway it had little to do with gun laws. Mostly it was just poor security. I mean this moron was able to drag chains along with him and chain up all the entrances to the building without security stopping him. The University prevents people from from legally possessing firearms on the school therefore THE SCHOOL has assumed the responsibility of keeping the place safe. Well, they failed BIG time in this. I hope they receive so many lawsuits that they go out of business over this affair. There are 26,000 people on the VA Tech campus and there is going to be trouble with that many people. People need to be able to protect themselves in their dorm rooms. Security sure as hell can't.
Cops are only good at drawing white lines around dead bodies!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I know, Shazzam. I was fine watching this news a week ago. I was sad, and I only cried after hearing that Jewish professor's story. Now, the emotion has sunken in, so every time I read, hear, or watch it on the news I start crying nonstop. I could feel the pain as someone just ripped my heart out and cut it into pieces whenever I imagine one of my family members might haven't been the lucky one if they were there. I can't imagine the pain the victims' families are going through. That's why I understand why they demanded the news to stop showing the video of Cho. It's a nightmare. The whole situation just sucked ass! :x
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

This was breaking news in Australia this morning!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=263709

Not again. It isn't just in schools. :twisted:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

.... and many more will come. :roll: