30 killed on Virginia Tech campus

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderators: Vega, EC

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:07 pm

I know. I cried so much when I heard his story. He could survive the Holocaust but not this one. How cruel! :cry: :cry:

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:56 am

More of him

This guy clearly was sick! I wonder what happened to him back then. Was he abused or molested? :shock:

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Shazzam » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:50 am

LennyeTran wrote:More of him

This guy clearly was sick! I wonder what happened to him back then. Was he abused or molested? :shock:


Maybe none of the above Lenny he might just be a sick p.ick???!!! What is really frightening is that everyone thinks that these situations are isolated to US soil, they aren't. You only have to look at what happened in Russia. Personally I think my country is a ticking time bomb for this sort of thing. I have heard stories for years about kids carrying knifes and kids getting stabbed. Just a few years ago a kid bought a arrow gun (don't know the name but they are banned here) over the internet and went to a local high school and shot his girlfriend and another girl through the leg. Two boys at the school tackled him to the ground before he could do anymore damage. It is only a matter of time!

I think the one thing that helps in my country is the strong gun laws we have in place. I know that Danyet will firmly disagree with this as he believes that everyone should carry a gun; just like a mobile phone. For what reason I don't know? Personally I have never needed to feel that insecure. I think s..it happens you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. However having said that I feel the US has a gun happy culture. People weild them around like NIKE shoes in the streets.

It is one thing to say you should have one for protection (which ultimately is stupid) but another to say you should just carry arms for the sake of it. Personally I think the only people that should carry fire arms are the people that are paid and licensed to do so for the protection of others, i.e. police, military, security.

Just my opinion. I think countries like the US have to start cutting back on the sale of guns for private use, plus investigate people further prior to issuing gun licenses (it is an open market).

:twisted:

User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: USA

Postby Danyet » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:17 pm

Personally I think the only people that should carry fire arms are the people that are paid and licensed to do so for the protection of others, i.e. police, military, security.
How is only police having LEGAL guns going to help me? The police only arrive in time to draw white chalk lines around dead bodies. And that is exactly ALL THEY DID AT VIRGINIA TECH. The police did not save even ONE person there!!

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:33 pm

Shazzam wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:More of him

This guy clearly was sick! I wonder what happened to him back then. Was he abused or molested? :shock:


Maybe none of the above Lenny he might just be a sick p.ick???!!!

The latest news I read said that he was picked on and teased in school

Why he was mean

It's so sad! I kinda felt sorry for him for a bit there. Kids can be really cruel. And I don't know where they picked up those cruel phrases from. :roll:

Shazzam wrote:What is really frightening is that everyone thinks that these situations are isolated to US soil, they aren't. You only have to look at what happened in Russia. Personally I think my country is a ticking time bomb for this sort of thing. I have heard stories for years about kids carrying knifes and kids getting stabbed. Just a few years ago a kid bought a arrow gun (don't know the name but they are banned here) over the internet and went to a local high school and shot his girlfriend and another girl through the leg. Two boys at the school tackled him to the ground before he could do anymore damage. It is only a matter of time!

Exactly! Japan and Vietnam are also another examples, I think. Last time I heard one kid killed himself because he was bullied in school in Japan. And in Vietnam, one kid killed herself because the teacher humiliated her in front of the whole class. I mean, when you think of school, you never thought this kinda thing would happen. The educational area, where students learn to be good people and look what's happened.

Shazzam wrote:I think the one thing that helps in my country is the strong gun laws we have in place. I know that Danyet will firmly disagree with this as he believes that everyone should carry a gun; just like a mobile phone. For what reason I don't know?

Last night we and my uncle debated about this, and I think he got some good points. He said one example: with a crime rate in the US, especially where we live, it'd be more protected if we're allowed to carry guns as a personal protection. It's because there are police in the city to protect the residents; however, what if those bad guys put one house on fire and then went to rob another house while the police and firemen were helping that house? The whole city could have gone chaotic if the citizens couldn't protect themselves.

Shazzam wrote:Personally I have never needed to feel that insecure. I think s..it happens you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. However having said that I feel the US has a gun happy culture. People weild them around like NIKE shoes in the streets.

Not all, though.

Shazzam wrote:It is one thing to say you should have one for protection (which ultimately is stupid) but another to say you should just carry arms for the sake of it. Personally I think the only people that should carry fire arms are the people that are paid and licensed to do so for the protection of others, i.e. police, military, security.

This is why they asked, is it guns that kill people or is it people who kill people?

Shazzam wrote:Just my opinion. I think countries like the US have to start cutting back on the sale of guns for private use, plus investigate people further prior to issuing gun licenses (it is an open market).

:twisted:

But the thing is that when bad people want to get something, there are tons of ways to get it in the black market. So, my concern is, how could we control it, so guns could only be reached to certain kinda people?

vince90
Gold Member
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:31 pm

Postby vince90 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:44 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
Shazzam wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:More of him

But the thing is that when bad people want to get something, there are tons of ways to get it in the black market. So, my concern is, how could we control it, so guns could only be reached to certain kinda people?


Also gun is not the only the option that using to kill people when his mind really turns into evil side. He could use anything such as a home make bomb, a knife, a hammer or a pair of scissors to hurt other people.

User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: USA

Postby Danyet » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:05 am

I think that the biggest failure here is that the records that showed that he was dangerous were ignored by a judge, who refused to have him treated in a state hospital. This was even after psychologists had said that he was dangerous to the public.

Therefore, when he went into the store to purchase a gun the check that was done on him to see if he could be trusted with a weapon showed nothing!!

If the people who were responsible for treating his mental illness had all done their jobs he would have been listed as "Unstable" and would have been on a list of people that could not buy a gun. The gun store owner would have seen this list and would not have sold any firearm to him. I'm not sure but I think also that he would have been reported to the police for trying to buy a gun afterwards.
We already have plenty of gun laws, we just need to see that these laws are obeyed properly.

User avatar
Romantic
Gold Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:34 am
Location: Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Contact:

Postby Romantic » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:32 am

First of all I present my condolences to the families who have been lost their lovers, I was totally shocked when I heard the news, no mankind can do such a horrible thing like that , yeah he is a psycho and terrorist, and what happened there because there is no prohibited for using gun, I mean everybody can use it whether with a license or not this is insane.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:45 am

vince90 wrote:
Also gun is not the only the option that using to kill people when his mind really turns into evil side. He could use anything such as a home make bomb, a knife, a hammer or a pair of scissors to hurt other people.

Exactly. My biology teacher once said, even a person who had a high school level of chemistry could be capable of making anthrax to kill bunch of people in a subway. Thankfully we don't have that many crazy psychos out there!

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:51 am

danyet wrote:I think that the biggest failure here is that the records that showed that he was dangerous were ignored by a judge, who refused to have him treated in a state hospital. This was even after psychologists had said that he was dangerous to the public.

Yeah, I wonder why he wasn't treated properly. Did his family pull him out of the treatment, or the authority decided that he would be fine afterwards? I mean, it'd be imbecile if they thought he would be fine by himself.

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Shazzam » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:55 am

danyet wrote:I think that the biggest failure here is that the records that showed that he was dangerous were ignored by a judge, who refused to have him treated in a state hospital. This was even after psychologists had said that he was dangerous to the public.

Therefore, when he went into the store to purchase a gun the check that was done on him to see if he could be trusted with a weapon showed nothing!!

If the people who were responsible for treating his mental illness had all done their jobs he would have been listed as "Unstable" and would have been on a list of people that could not buy a gun. The gun store owner would have seen this list and would not have sold any firearm to him. I'm not sure but I think also that he would have been reported to the police for trying to buy a gun afterwards.
We already have plenty of gun laws, we just need to see that these laws are obeyed properly.


I agree! That is what I meant by INVESTIGATION! The people that sell these guns are limited by the information provided I am aware of that. The laws need to be looked at!!! :twisted:

User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: USA

Postby Danyet » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:47 am

LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote:I think that the biggest failure here is that the records that showed that he was dangerous were ignored by a judge, who refused to have him treated in a state hospital. This was even after psychologists had said that he was dangerous to the public.

Yeah, I wonder why he wasn't treated properly. Did his family pull him out of the treatment, or the authority decided that he would be fine afterwards? I mean, it'd be imbecile if they thought he would be fine by himself.

Actually I heard today that his parents has already warned the School that their son was suicidal.

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Shazzam » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:19 pm

danyet wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote:I think that the biggest failure here is that the records that showed that he was dangerous were ignored by a judge, who refused to have him treated in a state hospital. This was even after psychologists had said that he was dangerous to the public.

Yeah, I wonder why he wasn't treated properly. Did his family pull him out of the treatment, or the authority decided that he would be fine afterwards? I mean, it'd be imbecile if they thought he would be fine by himself.

Actually I heard today that his parents has already warned the School that their son was suicidal.


Yeh but think about it?? Suicidal is different from HOMICIDAL!!! It is hear-say! You can't go with that.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:54 pm

Although the two terms are different, the guy clearly had some mental disorders that led him to commit suicide. His problems shouldn't have been ignored.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:59 pm

danyet wrote:Actually I heard today that his parents has already warned the School that their son was suicidal.

His parents? They came out to talk? :shock: Last time, I read some news and it said they committed suicide after hearing about what their son did. And I know his sister has been in hiding. According to what I've heard from the news I have to say, what a strange family!

User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: USA

Postby Danyet » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:11 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote:Actually I heard today that his parents has already warned the School that their son was suicidal.

His parents? They came out to talk? :shock: Last time, I read some news and it said they committed suicide after hearing about what their son did. And I know his sister has been in hiding. According to what I've heard from the news I have to say, what a strange family!
No! I haven't heard the parents but I heard on a national radio talk program that they warned the school.
Can you imagine being that creeps room mate? I

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:29 pm

All his roommates survived, so I guess they didn't bug him that much. And how did they know the parents warned the school? :?

User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: USA

Postby Danyet » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:26 am

Don't know Lenny Babe. Just heard the talk show guy say it! You will have to do a google and then tell me.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:59 am

They finally came out today!

"Our family is so very sorry for my brother's unspeakable actions. It is a terrible tragedy for all of us," said Sun-Kyung Cho, a 2004 Princeton University graduate who works as a contractor for a State Department office that oversees American aid for
Iraq.

"We pray for their families and loved ones who are experiencing so much excruciating grief. And we pray for those who were injured and for those whose lives are changed forever because of what they witnessed and experienced," she said. "Each of these people had so much love, talent and gifts to offer, and their lives were cut short by a horrible and senseless act."

"We are humbled by this darkness. We feel hopeless, helpless and lost. This is someone that I grew up with and loved. Now I feel like I didn't know this person," Cho's sister said. "We have always been a close, peaceful and loving family. My brother was quiet and reserved, yet struggled to fit in. We never could have envisioned that he was capable of so much violence."

They finally commented

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:03 am

Hmmm... I kinda doubt about the part a close family. They didn't sound close to me. I mean, the news said his roommates never saw any of his family members visited him. That's not how a close family should act. :?

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Another person shot at NASA

Postby Shazzam » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Well there is another shooting someone was shot at NASA. What the????


Return to “Current News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests