Page 1 of 1

30 killed on Virginia Tech campus

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:45 pm
by MissLT
F! Another shooting!

:x See, Danyet, this is the reason why the right to bear arms is stupid!

Re: 30 killed on Virginia Tech campus

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:57 am
by Shazzam
LennyeTran wrote:F! Another shooting!

:x See, Danyet, this is the reason why the right to bear arms is stupid!
Hi Lenny when this hit the news here I nearly died. I just can't believe it. So stupid!! So many innocent people caught up in this bull...t. OMG I just feel so badly for the families. As for Danyet's attitudes towards guns i would prefer not to go there because we will always be at odds. It is ok to be a cowboy and bear arms when you need to shoot wolves etc, but people are another thing. Thanks Lenny for posting this i'm so glad that someone did. I just hate this type of stuff it actually hurts to think that society is ok with kids killing kids!!

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:17 pm
by Dixie
I just can't understand why citizens are allowed to have arms in the States.

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:44 pm
by MissLT
We have the right to bear arms but not to bear breasts. :roll: America is getting weird and weirder every day to me. I'm so moving to Switzerland when I have enough money.

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:46 pm
by MissLT
I just read the update today. It seems like he's a loner and got dumped by his girlfriend or something like that. He was mad, so he killed his girlfriend and bunch of other students. The scary thing they said is that there was no emotion in his eyes although he was smiling. What a psycho!

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:30 pm
by Danyet
It is more likely that he barely knew the girl.

It only would have taken one person there with a little training and a weapon,to have prevented that killer from such a big spree.

When I was in college I had a gun on my belt most days. I would not have lined up along the wall and waited to be shot like those obedient students did.

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:52 pm
by MissLT
The sad thing is that not many students were aware of what was going on. They sent the email to warn students. Emails?!?!??! What the...?

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:13 pm
by vince90
It really pisses me off that they did not shut down the campus in earlier shooting. There is something wrong with the security school department. You're right Lenny. What the **** that they use email to warn students. Do they really don’t have other methods? Give me a break.
:evil:

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:01 pm
by MissLT
Exactly. The fault falls on the school security. Something was seriously going on with it. They didn't believe it or something? They shoulda evacuated the students out of the campus and shut it down as soon as the first shooting went on.

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:59 pm
by jrkp
What a Tragedy!!! Firstly, I´d like to express for this media, my condolences to the families of the victims. I know when you are facing a situation like this, there are not words to ease your pain, but I want you to know that my thoughts and my prayers are with you.

I must confess when I heard the news for the first time, I was in shock!! I couldn´t believe that a human being was capable of doing something so terrifying!!!. In moments like this, it´s impossible not to lose your fate in mankind. But suddendly, I came across with this news and I realize that despite all the madness we are living nowadays, there are person who give you hope to keep beliving in humanity:

Israeli Professor Tried to Save Students' Lives
By Julie Stahl
CNSNews.com Jerusalem Bureau Chief
April 17, 2007

Jerusalem (CNSNews.com) - Former colleagues said research and teaching were very important to Liviu Librescu, a professor from Israel who was among those murdered at Virginia Tech on Monday. He died trying save his students' lives.

Librescu, 75, immigrated to Israel from formerly communist Romania more than 25 years ago. He later moved to the U.S. and became a lecturer at Virginia Tech's Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics. He had been teaching there for 20 years.

A Holocaust survivor, Librescu died on the same day that Israel was marking Holocaust Martyrs and Heroes Remembrance Day.

A brilliant scientist, Librescu didn't even have a drivers' license because research was everything for him, said Tel Aviv University Professor Jacob Aboudi. He never paid attention to luxuries, Aboudi said in a telephone interview. "He cared about the students."

A student in Librescu's class, Alec Calhoun, told the Associated Press that Librescu's class heard a "thunderous sound" from the classroom next door as the gunfire erupted on Monday.

Calhoun was among those who jumped out of a second floor window. Before he leapt, he said, he turned around and saw Librescu attempting to block the door. He was shot and killed.

"He was an extraordinary person," said Dr. Doron Shalev. Shalev received his doctoral degree in mechanical engineering from Virginia Tech. During his five years there, Shalev said he studied under Librescu and later worked with him in writing a number of academic papers.

"He was totally devoted to research and teaching. He was a person with a special [sense of] human," Shalev told Cybercast News Service.

He never spoke about the Holocaust, but in the early hours of the morning after finishing their work together, Librescu would share with Shalev details about his life in Romania. After writing a book in Romania, Librescu risked his life to smuggle it out to the West page by page, Shalev said.

When Librescu decided to leave Romania for Israel, he was fired from his job, as was customary in communist countries in the 1970s. But he left his house every day as if to go work and studied in a library so the neighbors wouldn't know that he had lost his job, said Shalev.

Some of the habits he developed in Romania stuck with him. He was always afraid his home was bugged, so if he had something important to discuss with his wife he would go outside. Even in Blacksburg, Virginia, he stuck to that habit, Shalev said.

Shalev described Blacksburg as "heaven on earth." He said he once had an office in Norris Hall, where at least 30 of the victims were killed on Monday. One of his children was born there, he said.

"We never locked our houses or cars. This is a place of no crime," he said. Now to think that worst massacre ever in the history of the U.S. happened there, he said, "it's beyond any understanding."

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:07 pm
by MissLT
I know. I cried so much when I heard his story. He could survive the Holocaust but not this one. How cruel! :cry: :cry:

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:56 am
by MissLT
More of him

This guy clearly was sick! I wonder what happened to him back then. Was he abused or molested? :shock:

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:50 am
by Shazzam
LennyeTran wrote:More of him

This guy clearly was sick! I wonder what happened to him back then. Was he abused or molested? :shock:
Maybe none of the above Lenny he might just be a sick p.ick???!!! What is really frightening is that everyone thinks that these situations are isolated to US soil, they aren't. You only have to look at what happened in Russia. Personally I think my country is a ticking time bomb for this sort of thing. I have heard stories for years about kids carrying knifes and kids getting stabbed. Just a few years ago a kid bought a arrow gun (don't know the name but they are banned here) over the internet and went to a local high school and shot his girlfriend and another girl through the leg. Two boys at the school tackled him to the ground before he could do anymore damage. It is only a matter of time!

I think the one thing that helps in my country is the strong gun laws we have in place. I know that Danyet will firmly disagree with this as he believes that everyone should carry a gun; just like a mobile phone. For what reason I don't know? Personally I have never needed to feel that insecure. I think s..it happens you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. However having said that I feel the US has a gun happy culture. People weild them around like NIKE shoes in the streets.

It is one thing to say you should have one for protection (which ultimately is stupid) but another to say you should just carry arms for the sake of it. Personally I think the only people that should carry fire arms are the people that are paid and licensed to do so for the protection of others, i.e. police, military, security.

Just my opinion. I think countries like the US have to start cutting back on the sale of guns for private use, plus investigate people further prior to issuing gun licenses (it is an open market).

:twisted:

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:17 pm
by Danyet
Personally I think the only people that should carry fire arms are the people that are paid and licensed to do so for the protection of others, i.e. police, military, security.
How is only police having LEGAL guns going to help me? The police only arrive in time to draw white chalk lines around dead bodies. And that is exactly ALL THEY DID AT VIRGINIA TECH. The police did not save even ONE person there!!

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:33 pm
by MissLT
Shazzam wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:More of him

This guy clearly was sick! I wonder what happened to him back then. Was he abused or molested? :shock:
Maybe none of the above Lenny he might just be a sick p.ick???!!!
The latest news I read said that he was picked on and teased in school

Why he was mean

It's so sad! I kinda felt sorry for him for a bit there. Kids can be really cruel. And I don't know where they picked up those cruel phrases from. :roll:
Shazzam wrote:What is really frightening is that everyone thinks that these situations are isolated to US soil, they aren't. You only have to look at what happened in Russia. Personally I think my country is a ticking time bomb for this sort of thing. I have heard stories for years about kids carrying knifes and kids getting stabbed. Just a few years ago a kid bought a arrow gun (don't know the name but they are banned here) over the internet and went to a local high school and shot his girlfriend and another girl through the leg. Two boys at the school tackled him to the ground before he could do anymore damage. It is only a matter of time!
Exactly! Japan and Vietnam are also another examples, I think. Last time I heard one kid killed himself because he was bullied in school in Japan. And in Vietnam, one kid killed herself because the teacher humiliated her in front of the whole class. I mean, when you think of school, you never thought this kinda thing would happen. The educational area, where students learn to be good people and look what's happened.
Shazzam wrote:I think the one thing that helps in my country is the strong gun laws we have in place. I know that Danyet will firmly disagree with this as he believes that everyone should carry a gun; just like a mobile phone. For what reason I don't know?
Last night we and my uncle debated about this, and I think he got some good points. He said one example: with a crime rate in the US, especially where we live, it'd be more protected if we're allowed to carry guns as a personal protection. It's because there are police in the city to protect the residents; however, what if those bad guys put one house on fire and then went to rob another house while the police and firemen were helping that house? The whole city could have gone chaotic if the citizens couldn't protect themselves.
Shazzam wrote:Personally I have never needed to feel that insecure. I think s..it happens you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. However having said that I feel the US has a gun happy culture. People weild them around like NIKE shoes in the streets.
Not all, though.
Shazzam wrote:It is one thing to say you should have one for protection (which ultimately is stupid) but another to say you should just carry arms for the sake of it. Personally I think the only people that should carry fire arms are the people that are paid and licensed to do so for the protection of others, i.e. police, military, security.
This is why they asked, is it guns that kill people or is it people who kill people?
Shazzam wrote:Just my opinion. I think countries like the US have to start cutting back on the sale of guns for private use, plus investigate people further prior to issuing gun licenses (it is an open market).

:twisted:

But the thing is that when bad people want to get something, there are tons of ways to get it in the black market. So, my concern is, how could we control it, so guns could only be reached to certain kinda people?

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:44 pm
by vince90
LennyeTran wrote:
Shazzam wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:More of him

But the thing is that when bad people want to get something, there are tons of ways to get it in the black market. So, my concern is, how could we control it, so guns could only be reached to certain kinda people?
Also gun is not the only the option that using to kill people when his mind really turns into evil side. He could use anything such as a home make bomb, a knife, a hammer or a pair of scissors to hurt other people.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:05 am
by Danyet
I think that the biggest failure here is that the records that showed that he was dangerous were ignored by a judge, who refused to have him treated in a state hospital. This was even after psychologists had said that he was dangerous to the public.

Therefore, when he went into the store to purchase a gun the check that was done on him to see if he could be trusted with a weapon showed nothing!!

If the people who were responsible for treating his mental illness had all done their jobs he would have been listed as "Unstable" and would have been on a list of people that could not buy a gun. The gun store owner would have seen this list and would not have sold any firearm to him. I'm not sure but I think also that he would have been reported to the police for trying to buy a gun afterwards.
We already have plenty of gun laws, we just need to see that these laws are obeyed properly.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:32 am
by Romantic
First of all I present my condolences to the families who have been lost their lovers, I was totally shocked when I heard the news, no mankind can do such a horrible thing like that , yeah he is a psycho and terrorist, and what happened there because there is no prohibited for using gun, I mean everybody can use it whether with a license or not this is insane.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:45 am
by MissLT
vince90 wrote:
Also gun is not the only the option that using to kill people when his mind really turns into evil side. He could use anything such as a home make bomb, a knife, a hammer or a pair of scissors to hurt other people.
Exactly. My biology teacher once said, even a person who had a high school level of chemistry could be capable of making anthrax to kill bunch of people in a subway. Thankfully we don't have that many crazy psychos out there!

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:51 am
by MissLT
danyet wrote:I think that the biggest failure here is that the records that showed that he was dangerous were ignored by a judge, who refused to have him treated in a state hospital. This was even after psychologists had said that he was dangerous to the public.
Yeah, I wonder why he wasn't treated properly. Did his family pull him out of the treatment, or the authority decided that he would be fine afterwards? I mean, it'd be imbecile if they thought he would be fine by himself.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:55 am
by Shazzam
danyet wrote:I think that the biggest failure here is that the records that showed that he was dangerous were ignored by a judge, who refused to have him treated in a state hospital. This was even after psychologists had said that he was dangerous to the public.

Therefore, when he went into the store to purchase a gun the check that was done on him to see if he could be trusted with a weapon showed nothing!!

If the people who were responsible for treating his mental illness had all done their jobs he would have been listed as "Unstable" and would have been on a list of people that could not buy a gun. The gun store owner would have seen this list and would not have sold any firearm to him. I'm not sure but I think also that he would have been reported to the police for trying to buy a gun afterwards.
We already have plenty of gun laws, we just need to see that these laws are obeyed properly.
I agree! That is what I meant by INVESTIGATION! The people that sell these guns are limited by the information provided I am aware of that. The laws need to be looked at!!! :twisted:

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:47 am
by Danyet
LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote:I think that the biggest failure here is that the records that showed that he was dangerous were ignored by a judge, who refused to have him treated in a state hospital. This was even after psychologists had said that he was dangerous to the public.
Yeah, I wonder why he wasn't treated properly. Did his family pull him out of the treatment, or the authority decided that he would be fine afterwards? I mean, it'd be imbecile if they thought he would be fine by himself.
Actually I heard today that his parents has already warned the School that their son was suicidal.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:19 pm
by Shazzam
danyet wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote:I think that the biggest failure here is that the records that showed that he was dangerous were ignored by a judge, who refused to have him treated in a state hospital. This was even after psychologists had said that he was dangerous to the public.
Yeah, I wonder why he wasn't treated properly. Did his family pull him out of the treatment, or the authority decided that he would be fine afterwards? I mean, it'd be imbecile if they thought he would be fine by himself.
Actually I heard today that his parents has already warned the School that their son was suicidal.
Yeh but think about it?? Suicidal is different from HOMICIDAL!!! It is hear-say! You can't go with that.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:54 pm
by MissLT
Although the two terms are different, the guy clearly had some mental disorders that led him to commit suicide. His problems shouldn't have been ignored.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:59 pm
by MissLT
danyet wrote: Actually I heard today that his parents has already warned the School that their son was suicidal.
His parents? They came out to talk? :shock: Last time, I read some news and it said they committed suicide after hearing about what their son did. And I know his sister has been in hiding. According to what I've heard from the news I have to say, what a strange family!

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:11 pm
by Danyet
LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote: Actually I heard today that his parents has already warned the School that their son was suicidal.
His parents? They came out to talk? :shock: Last time, I read some news and it said they committed suicide after hearing about what their son did. And I know his sister has been in hiding. According to what I've heard from the news I have to say, what a strange family!
No! I haven't heard the parents but I heard on a national radio talk program that they warned the school.
Can you imagine being that creeps room mate? I

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:29 pm
by MissLT
All his roommates survived, so I guess they didn't bug him that much. And how did they know the parents warned the school? :?

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:26 am
by Danyet
Don't know Lenny Babe. Just heard the talk show guy say it! You will have to do a google and then tell me.

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:59 am
by MissLT
They finally came out today!

"Our family is so very sorry for my brother's unspeakable actions. It is a terrible tragedy for all of us," said Sun-Kyung Cho, a 2004 Princeton University graduate who works as a contractor for a State Department office that oversees American aid for
Iraq.

"We pray for their families and loved ones who are experiencing so much excruciating grief. And we pray for those who were injured and for those whose lives are changed forever because of what they witnessed and experienced," she said. "Each of these people had so much love, talent and gifts to offer, and their lives were cut short by a horrible and senseless act."

"We are humbled by this darkness. We feel hopeless, helpless and lost. This is someone that I grew up with and loved. Now I feel like I didn't know this person," Cho's sister said. "We have always been a close, peaceful and loving family. My brother was quiet and reserved, yet struggled to fit in. We never could have envisioned that he was capable of so much violence."

They finally commented

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:03 am
by MissLT
Hmmm... I kinda doubt about the part a close family. They didn't sound close to me. I mean, the news said his roommates never saw any of his family members visited him. That's not how a close family should act. :?

Another person shot at NASA

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:30 pm
by Shazzam
Well there is another shooting someone was shot at NASA. What the????

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:37 pm
by MissLT
samck wrote:It is tragedy again . As we know it isn’t the first time about campus killing in the U.S.A So I am not in shock ,I believe it will be not the last tragedy. Because It is so easy to get arms for the citizens.
I believe this is not the only reason why there are school shootings in the States. Media and violent video games play a huge part also.

Re: Another person shot at NASA

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:38 pm
by MissLT
Shazzam wrote:Well there is another shooting someone was shot at NASA. What the????
Where? :?

Re: Another person shot at NASA

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:52 pm
by Dixie
Shazzam wrote:Well there is another shooting someone was shot at NASA. What the????
I didn't hear anything. What happened?

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:54 pm
by Yen
Last month, my class had conference about "bowling of columbine", we was told about the Columbine High School masscare in 1999. Two teenage students killed 12 students and teacher. I couldn't believe this situation is happen again. How scary it is.
You can find more information in http://www.youtube.com

I agree with Lennye Tran."Media and violent video games play a huge part also" It's not because in the US we can buy the gun. In Canada, we can buy guns easier than in the US but there don't have any crimes.

Moreover, the South Koreans are worrying they might singled out for discrimination in the US as a result of the shooting because in the News, they are always emphasize the killer is Asian or he is Korean while if that killer is white, they avoid to say his nationality.... Do you notice that??

[/url]

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:08 pm
by MissLT
Yen wrote: Moreover, the South Koreans are worrying they might singled out for discrimination in the US as a result of the shooting because in the News, they are always emphasize the killer is Asian or he is Korean while if that killer is white, they avoid to say his nationality.... Do you notice that??
The reason why I didn't go in this whole race thing because I think it was unnecessary. From what you said, if the gunman was a white person, they wouldn't say which ethnicity he really was. I think you forgot one thing that Caucasians have been in the US for many generations. Most of them are, as I usually joke around, mutts. They refer themselves as Caucasian or White. They don't say, "Hey, I'm Italian-Polish-English-Spanish." (my ex was). Same with African-Americans. Asians, on the other hand, are quite different. This guy, obviously, was only 1.5 generation. He was still Korean although he'd been in the States most of his life. Therefore, I don't see anything wrong when they called him Korean.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:15 pm
by MissLT
Yen wrote: Moreover, the South Koreans are worrying they might singled out for discrimination in the US
Some Korean communities even went further to apologize for what this guy did. Maybe you have a different perception of this apology than I, but I was quite irritated when they did it. I didn't take it as a genuine gesture. Instead it seemed racist to me. I can understand why the family had to apologize. He was a part of his family after all. And they was indirectly responsible for what he did as a rule of what family means. Other Koreans, on the other hand, have done nothing. Why did they feel the need to apologize for? Just because he was Korean? Therefore, they indirectly singled him out as a a member of their community, and not an individual of the States. Then they're afraid people would take revenge on them because they're Koreans who did not kill those students. Now, who is the racist one, tell me please?

Re: Another person shot at NASA

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:43 pm
by Shazzam
Dixie wrote:
Shazzam wrote:Well there is another shooting someone was shot at NASA. What the????
I didn't hear anything. What happened?
It was posted on msn news here over the weekend I think it happened on Friday; you should be able to find something out about it on the net. I couldn't believe it. :roll:

Re: Another person shot at NASA

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:34 pm
by MissLT
Shazzam wrote:
Dixie wrote:
Shazzam wrote:Well there is another shooting someone was shot at NASA. What the????
I didn't hear anything. What happened?
It was posted on msn news here over the weekend I think it happened on Friday; you should be able to find something out about it on the net. I couldn't believe it. :roll:
I can't find it. :?

Re: Another person shot at NASA

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:14 pm
by Shazzam
LennyeTran wrote:
Shazzam wrote:
Dixie wrote: I didn't hear anything. What happened?
It was posted on msn news here over the weekend I think it happened on Friday; you should be able to find something out about it on the net. I couldn't believe it. :roll:
I can't find it. :?
http://news.google.com.au/news?q=Shooti ... s&ct=title

Try this link Lenny

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:08 am
by MissLT
Thanks, Shazzam. I didn't hear this news at all. I wonder why the US media didn't talk about it. :shock:

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:18 am
by MissLT

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:43 pm
by Danyet
Exactly!

The education system is run by Brown Shirts and "prissy people". I volunteer at a school helping ESL kids and I am often in a situation where I must "bite my tounge". You can't say anything that does not agree with the Liberal left agenda there. That professor should go on The O'Reily Factor.

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:53 pm
by MissLT
Well, I only watched the first 30 seconds of his first clip, so I don't know what to comment until I finish all four. It'd be hard, though, since his voice is soooooooooo boring. That's why I kinda play favor here, I think he deserved it, not for the imitating of the shooting part. Instead he should be fired because of his monotonous voice. I wouldn't last a day in his class.

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:00 pm
by Danyet
Yeah, the guy is a bit of a sap! But he got better towards the end.

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:23 pm
by MissLT
Which minute?

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:10 pm
by jrkp
Then they're afraid people would take revenge on them because they're Koreans who did not kill those students. Now, who is the racist one, tell me please?
That´s the point!!! You see, I´m glad to hear that an american citizen like you think in that way, but, sadly, there are a few of your fellow countryman and countrywoman which don´t share your point of view. If you want an explanation to understand korean community behavior, you should review recent american history. How we could forget americans behavior after 9/11 (a few of them of course), when anyone looks like an arab were considered as a terrorist, including those who have been living in american soil for generations.

I believe that kind of behavior it´s pretty normal into societies whose citizen have suffered traumatic episodes like this one. When people don´t have a logical anwser to justify this kind of senseless event, they always look for a scapegoat, and I think that korean community is trying to avoid it before it could be too late.To make my point clear, you should remember what happened in Columbine, where Marylin Mason were pointed out as the responsable for that massacre, only because those guys listened his music.

If you want to understand it, you should wear their shoes, I mean think as an immigrant.

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:34 pm
by MissLT
Yes, I know where you're coming from, but what I was trying to say is that, if you wanted someone not to act prejudiced towards you, you have to stand tall and give them all reasons they can't. Otherwise, they will forever look for a scapegoat when something happens.

People who can think logically won't look for someone else within the same community to blame; they blame that person instead. The other ignorants are no point to discuss since you can't change their view despite of what. However, they know they can't do anything to you legally because you're protected by the laws just as much as they are.

Koreans who apologized for this act they didn't do have given away their right, to me. They can show their sympathy, but they didn't have to apologize. There was no need. If they were being discriminated, I think they should stand up straight and say, "I'm sorry for what you've gone through. As a family member and as a parent or will be one, I understand your pain. Nonetheless, I didn't do it! I don't have to feel guilty for what I didn't do. Blame the society like the rest of regular people."

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:45 pm
by MissLT
jrkp wrote:How we could forget americans behavior after 9/11 (a few of them of course), when anyone looks like an arab were considered as a terrorist, including those who have been living in american soil for generations.
The difference is that they didn't apologize; they demanded for protection because they knew they were protected by the laws. International and born-here Middle East students in my school were protected by the security for a whole month after 9.11 happened. Two girls in my anthropology class told me they came to the Dean office and demanded protection, and the Dean felt it was right to protect them from imbecile students. That's what Koreans should do.

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:29 am
by Shazzam
It is so strange I was in class on Friday and this story is still a big thing even here. There is so much debate about why it happened etc. I must admit I reached a point that I just couldn't add anything to it. Obviously this young man had serious, serious issues that obviously weren't dealt with correctly. But there is more to it. The gun laws are one thing! People that have been recorded to have had counselling for emotional or mental issues should fall into the category of "DONT GIVE THEM A GUN". It is a really hard debate.

Ultimately at the end of the day it won't bring back the innocent people that were killed that day. Ok maybe they were money hungry and nasty etc (show me a teenager that can't be this way) it didn't mean that they deserved to die or that their families deserved the pain of losing their children, friends, grandchild etc. It is just too hard to think about.
:cry: :cry:

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:45 pm
by Danyet
Well it is no longer a big thing here. We've already gotten over it!

Anyway it had little to do with gun laws. Mostly it was just poor security. I mean this moron was able to drag chains along with him and chain up all the entrances to the building without security stopping him. The University prevents people from from legally possessing firearms on the school therefore THE SCHOOL has assumed the responsibility of keeping the place safe. Well, they failed BIG time in this. I hope they receive so many lawsuits that they go out of business over this affair. There are 26,000 people on the VA Tech campus and there is going to be trouble with that many people. People need to be able to protect themselves in their dorm rooms. Security sure as hell can't.
Cops are only good at drawing white lines around dead bodies!

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:59 pm
by MissLT
I know, Shazzam. I was fine watching this news a week ago. I was sad, and I only cried after hearing that Jewish professor's story. Now, the emotion has sunken in, so every time I read, hear, or watch it on the news I start crying nonstop. I could feel the pain as someone just ripped my heart out and cut it into pieces whenever I imagine one of my family members might haven't been the lucky one if they were there. I can't imagine the pain the victims' families are going through. That's why I understand why they demanded the news to stop showing the video of Cho. It's a nightmare. The whole situation just sucked ass! :x

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:31 pm
by Shazzam
This was breaking news in Australia this morning!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=263709

Not again. It isn't just in schools. :twisted:

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:36 pm
by MissLT
.... and many more will come. :roll: