The Queen’s Coronavirus broadcast: ‘We will meet again’ - with words

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderator: EC

Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

The Queen’s Coronavirus broadcast: ‘We will meet again’ - with words

Post by Joe »

In a rare speech, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II (93) delivers a special message to the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth during the coronavirus pandemic; and echoes the words of Vera Lynn’s wartime song, ‘We will meet again.’ Although this broadcast was addressed to the Commonwealth and UK, its message of hope may be welcomed by all citizens of Planet Earth.

I’m speaking to you at what I know is an increasingly challenging time, a time of disruption in the life of our country, a disruption that has brought grief to some, financial difficulties to many, and enormous changes to the daily lives of us all. I want to thank everyone on the NHS frontline, as well as care workers and those carrying out essential roles who selflessly continue their day-to-day duties outside the home...

See video, full transcript and word definitions here

“We’ll Meet Again“ was a British song made famous by singer Vera Lynn during the Second World War. (Music and lyrics by English songwriters Ross Parker and Hughie Charles)

We’ll meet again
Don’t know where
Don’t know when
But I know we’ll meet again some sunny day
Keep smiling through
Just like you always do
‘Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away...

See video and transcript here
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
SitangCampus
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: The Queen’s Coronavirus broadcast: ‘We will meet again’ - with words

Post by SitangCampus »

Yes, you are right. As far as I know, many Chinese people including many English learners have sent this news in their social media WeChat or Weibo, so we heard and saw the broadcast almost the same time with the audience in the UK. It is of more importance especially at a time when the British government loses its chief temporarily due to the high fever casued by pandemic after Brexit for the country and Mexit for the royal family.

Seeing an old lady at her 90s is so confident, there is no reason that we cannot be brave and strong to overcome any difficulties lying ahead. As members of human being, we should set aside disagreement and work together.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: The Queen’s Coronavirus broadcast: ‘We will meet again’ - with words

Post by Joe »

SitangCampus wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:00 pm Yes, you are right. As far as I know, many Chinese people including many English learners have sent this news in their social media WeChat or Weibo, so we heard and saw the broadcast almost the same time with the audience in the UK. It is of more importance especially at a time when the British government loses its chief temporarily due to the high fever casued by pandemic after Brexit for the country and Mexit for the royal family.

Seeing an old lady at her 90s is so confident, there is no reason that we cannot be brave and strong to overcome any difficulties lying ahead. As members of human being, we should set aside disagreement and work together.
Well said, Sitang.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven