What is the latest book you have read recently?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

Dixie wrote:
illusion wrote:I am reading now "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte. It's a gripping story with lots of passion in it...
I read it last year :) Have you read Jane Eyre?
Not yet. Have you? If so, would you recommend it?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Yes Tora, Jane Eyre's author is Charlotte Brontë. It was a compulsory reading in college :lol: We made a very deep analysis of the novel and all the symbolism in it. I wonder, though, why Wuthering Heights wasn't compulsory since it's another great classic of English Literature.

Yes Illusion I would recommend it, although I read it so many years ago I think I should try to read it again and draw my own conclusions - you know, when you read something for obligation, you don't read it as passionately as if you read it for your own pleasure.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Yes Dixie - compulsory reading kills passion and damages pleasure - at school compulsary reading is a part of education, the only book I did this way was War and Piece after Leo Tolstoy :oops:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

It's my aunt's favorite book. She's read it five times in Vietnamese, and I've read it twice (in Vietnamese and English just to see the differences). It's in the same group of the best classic books such as Frankenstein, Around the World in Eighty Days, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, the Grimm Brothers' tales, Ugly Duckling, and Scarlet Letter for me.
Masayuki

Post by Masayuki »

[i]Da Vinci Code[/i]

I read this 2 weeks ago. It is interesting for me. And now, I am trying to read [i]Historian.[/i]
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Oh God, I've heard it's one of the best books ever. I haven't tried to read it yet since the title sounds a bit boring to me. Tell me what you think of it when you're done, will you? :wink:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I'm reading The Historian, too. It's really amazing. I'm in the middle of the story now.

Masayuki, there's a thread on this forum about this book, in case you'd like to discuss a little about it :D
Snapdragon

Post by Snapdragon »

Hey,
I've just finished Deception Point by Dan Brown, which - I have to say - was really great.
Now I'm reading The Ultimative Hitchhikers Guide by Douglas Adams.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Snapdragon wrote:Hey,
I've just finished Deception Point by Dan Brown, which - I have to say - was really great.
I didn't like it as much as the other three.
Snapdragon

Post by Snapdragon »

I've read the other 3 books to and I've to say that they are all different, but all quite good.
I didn't like Angels and Demons that much, but I think thats because I read it after the da vinci code - where the Illuminati are shown from quite a different point of view.[/quote]
echip

Post by echip »

I've read "The call of the wild" by Jack London and "David Copperfield" by Ch.Dickens.Very good!
To Lennye Tran: I'm Vietnamese too! Nice to meet you!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

echip wrote:I've read "The call of the wild" by Jack London and "David Copperfield" by Ch.Dickens.Very good!
To Lennye Tran: I'm Vietnamese too! Nice to meet you!
Nice to meet you. Did you read those books in Vietnamese?
Seafarer
Rising Star
Rising Star

oooh!

Post by Seafarer »

Oh..i am ashamed myself! The last book i read was Mansfield Park by Jane Austen..and my bookcase is full with books! but it has been nearly 2 months since i read my last book!
By the way..those mythology books are too interesting,aren't they? :wink:
nien

Post by nien »

Mine are:
Jackdaws by Ken Folet,
The Other Side of The Story by Marian Keyes,
The Real Desperate Housewifes by Asma Nadia and friends,
Badman Bidin by Asma Nadia and friends too.
fortminor
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by fortminor »

swallow the frog
:D
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

The Secret Supper, by Javier Sierra. Really worth it!
Inkbell

The book I'vr read recently

Post by Inkbell »

The Chronicles of Narnia!!! I'm completely enchanted by Lewis' style and imagery. I've not yet finished all seven books, but by now I've really seen Narnia, felt Aslan's golden mane and his warm breath in my face. In all the adventures I've participated! I fought together with the Ancient Kings and Queens, I rode together with Shasta and Aravis "to Narnia and the North" and sailed to the World's End on board of the Dawn Treader. Thank God, there are such books to allow as all to travel to the Neverlands of our imagination.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Patente de Corso after Arturo Perez-Reverte! it's a collection of his most striking articles in spanish El Semanal news-paper. they all are short but so nice
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Tora wrote:Patente de Corso after Arturo Perez-Reverte! it's a collection of his most striking articles in spanish El Semanal news-paper. they all are short but so nice
I didn't know Perez-Reverte was so well-known outside Spain! In any case I thought his fame would come the moment the movie Alatriste was released...
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Dixie wrote:
Tora wrote:Patente de Corso after Arturo Perez-Reverte! it's a collection of his most striking articles in spanish El Semanal news-paper. they all are short but so nice
I didn't know Perez-Reverte was so well-known outside Spain! In any case I thought his fame would come the moment the movie Alatriste was released...
he has his own book-shelf in my favourite bookshop and his own place in my heart :wink:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Tora wrote: he has his own book-shelf in my favourite bookshop and his own place in my heart :wink:
Really? :shock: I remember I had a Spanish teacher in high school who was his biggest fan... I discovered him thanks to that teacher... but still... I like his articles for their content, not the language used... It's quite vulgar to me...
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Dixie wrote:
Tora wrote: he has his own book-shelf in my favourite bookshop and his own place in my heart :wink:
Really? :shock: I remember I had a Spanish teacher in high school who was his biggest fan... I discovered him thanks to that teacher... but still... I like his articles for their content, not the language used... It's quite vulgar to me...
thank god the translator was enough kind to avoid some rudeness if it was possible. the articles are great. It turned out that our countries has so much common. also his novelas are really witty. I fell in love with them. I do much apperciate the translator as there were hundreds of foot-notes in the book as the articles are specific and I need an explanation so many times...

by the way in Catalon is "j" pronounced in some other way than anywhere in Spain?? like "g" (an english one I mean) :?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Tora wrote: by the way in Catalon is "j" pronounced in some other way than anywhere in Spain?? like "g" :?
The Spanish sound "j" does not exist in Catalan. As well as the Catalan "g" sound, which is similar to the English one (i.e. Joseph) does not exist in Spanish.
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

'If only it were true' by Marc Levy. It's really great! A fiction romance between a man and a woman's soul or ghost, I may say.

_Arale_
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Arale wrote:'If only it were true' by Marc Levy. It's really great! A fiction romance between a man and a woman's soul or ghost, I may say.

_Arale_
Oh, that might be the novel in which the movie Just Like Heaven was inspired, right?
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Dixie wrote:
Arale wrote:'If only it were true' by Marc Levy. It's really great! A fiction romance between a man and a woman's soul or ghost, I may say.

_Arale_
Oh, that might be the novel in which the movie Just Like Heaven was inspired, right?
Exactly! I haven't seen the movie yet. Did you read or watch it?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Arale wrote: Exactly! I haven't seen the movie yet. Did you read or watch it?
I have seen it twice... Really, really sweet story.
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

I read this book called "Eureka Street" by an Irish writer Robert McLiam Wilson. It's a story about a couple of friends and their lives that takes place in Belfast. I must say I did enjoy it a lot :)
iwantmore

Post by iwantmore »

I read " SITUBIALAMOCBA KA GANHAN FUDILMIONALED "
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Everything is illuminated after Jonathan Safran Foer - I liked it a lot - have anybody heard about it?
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

My Ismael by Daniel Quinn
Easy to read, difficult to understand
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I just started reading Patrick Süskind's Perfume: The Story of a Murderer .
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

Dixie wrote:
I have recently seen that movie too :) It was really cute :)
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

illusion wrote:
Dixie wrote:
Are there any differences between the novel and the movie?
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

illusion wrote:
Dixie wrote:
Lucky you! I have read it either and want to watch the movie - but it starts only on 14th of sept!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Tora wrote: Lucky you! I have read it either and want to watch the movie - but it starts only on 14th of sept!
But... that movie was released like months ago! I downloaded it the day after watching it and now I've got it on dvd...
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Dixie wrote:
Tora wrote: Lucky you! I have read it either and want to watch the movie - but it starts only on 14th of sept!
But... that movie was released like months ago! I downloaded it the day after watching it and now I've got it on dvd...
it is not rare here that movies are realeased times after it was done in europe and US :? such as life...
Rach
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rach »

I've read "Never let me go" by Kazuo Ishiguro, it's easy to read and seams to be a very nice story at the beginning, but it turns out to be kind of very "disturbing" and psycho...

Now I'm reading "Little women" by Louisa May Alcott, I needed something comforting after this last book I've read*lol*. It's really a nice book, even for grown-up girls like me:) I enjoy it very much.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Rach wrote:I've read "Never let me go" by Kazuo Ishiguro, it's easy to read and seams to be a very nice story at the beginning, but it turns out to be kind of very "disturbing" and psycho...
:shock: I've read that book also. I thought I wouldn't find anyone at EC reading this book.
Rach
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rach »

LennyeTran wrote: :shock: I've read that book also. I thought I wouldn't find anyone at EC reading this book.
Why not? :) How did you find it?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Rach wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: :shock: I've read that book also. I thought I wouldn't find anyone at EC reading this book.
Why not? :) How did you find it?
The book was in its best time, but it's pretty old. That's why I didn't think I would find a member who has read this book here.

I find his writing pretty dry and unattractive. Although it was good, but I didn't feel like checking out all his books afterwards, which I usually do to any writer's work I like.
Rach
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rach »

Pretty old? Are you sure we are talking about the same book? It was first published in 2005, that's not what I would consider as a pretty old book :shock:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Rach wrote:Pretty old? Are you sure we are talking about the same book? It was first published in 2005, that's not what I would consider as a pretty old book :shock:
Well, what I mean is that most of his international bestseller books are old, and it doesn't seem like many people I know know him.
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

Tora wrote:
Dixie wrote:
it is not rare here that movies are realeased times after it was done in europe and US :? such as life...
yeah exactly, that's why me and my friends downlaod movies so we can watch them before they're realesed in my country...
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Rach wrote: Now I'm reading "Little women" by Louisa May Alcott, I needed something comforting after this last book I've read*lol*. It's really a nice book, even for grown-up girls like me:) I enjoy it very much.
I love it. I've read it more than ten times and I would never get tired of that story, those characters... I grew up with Little Women and I still love them :P
Rach
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rach »

Yeah, it's such a lovely book :) I can't wait to read "Little boys" and "Jo's boys" too :)
Rach
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rach »

LennyeTran wrote:Well, what I mean is that most of his international bestseller books are old, and it doesn't seem like many people I know know him.
Yes, "Never let me go" is not mainstream, certainly not a book to read just for relaxing*lol*. But I found his writting style very, very interesting, the way he describes characters in this book is amazing. Perhaps I will try "The remains of the day" too, after a while.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Rach wrote:Yeah, it's such a lovely book :) I can't wait to read "Little boys" and "Jo's boys" too :)
I've got those, too :D
Rach
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rach »

Dixie wrote:I've got those, too :D
Are they as lovely as the first one? :D
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Rach wrote: