What is the latest book you have read recently?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Jail4bird

Post by Jail4bird »

I've just read up to the end "The Canterbury Tales" by Chaucer. Unfortunately, not in the original...A starnge one thing, but rather attractive...
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Jail4bird wrote:I've just read up to the end "The Canterbury Tales" by Chaucer. Unfortunately, not in the original...A starnge one thing, but rather attractive...
A classic! I'd like to read it too. It's a must for any Philologist... Yeah, again... shame on me :roll: I know what topics the book deals with, when and by whom it was written, what it means... But haven't read it... :evil:
Jail4bird

Post by Jail4bird »

Dixie wrote: A classic! I'd like to read it too. It's a must for any Philologist... Yeah, again... shame on me :roll: I know what topics the book deals with, when and by whom it was written, what it means... But haven't read it... :evil:
Being a philologist myself i can agree, it's a must)) you should read)) It's worth...especailly in Old English :D
quicksilver
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by quicksilver »

I have just finished " Tradowata" it is from Poland . I dont know how to call it in English .
It is really nice .
danielle626

Post by danielle626 »

Over the summer I read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Its a great book, well at least in my opinion. Its about a woman name Jane Eyre who had a missable childhood, but she strived and became a governess. Eventually she fell in love with Mr. Rochester her boss, who loved her too. There was a problem between them and so Jane left Mr. Rochester. She became poor again, but this book has a good ending so I encourage anyone to read it. It is an English literature, I think it would be great for anyone who likes romantic stories. This is my first time posting anything so Hi Everyone.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

danielle626 wrote:Over the summer I read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Its a great book, well at least in my opinion. Its about a woman name Jane Eyre who had a missable childhood, but she strived and became a governess. Eventually she fell in love with Mr. Rochester her boss, who loved her too. There was a problem between them and so Jane left Mr. Rochester. She became poor again, but this book has a good ending so I encourage anyone to read it. It is an English literature, I think it would be great for anyone who likes romantic stories. This is my first time posting anything so Hi Everyone.
I read it in college, really a classic. We studied its symbolism deeply and every now and then the professors referred to it. A jewel.

By the way, welcome Danielle26 ;)
quicksilver
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by quicksilver »

I also like Jane Eyre.
A romantic story with a happy ending.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:Today I started reading another book written by Charles Dickens. It's going smoothly so far. :)
His Oliver Twist and A Christmas Carol are the best.
Rui
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rui »

the last book that i have read was "Burned Alive", a very nice book about a real story, it's about the life of a women that survive to an attempt of murder by her brother in law, just because she was pregnant before the wedding, she tells wall the story of her life, what it was a shock to me to know that even today there's people living that way... a very nice book in my opinion,

Now i'm trying to start reading the "The Davinci Code" but it has been difficult because i don't have to much time... 8)
TearHere
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by TearHere »

i have finished lion's game by nelson deMille.i just found that book in my sister's room and started reading it..a suspense kinda thing..not really my type but found it to be very interesting and thrilling..
Rui wrote: Now i'm trying to start reading the "The Davinci Code" but it has been difficult because i don't have to much time... 8)
this controversial book eh?... haven't read it yet.. if i have time.i will.my friends told me that once you read it, your faith is really tested.. although it is a fictional book..<i'm basing on word of mouth here.. :roll: > though i should say this one's interesting.... 8)
When all else fails..don't stop.
Rui
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rui »

well, i'm in the beginning of the book but it seems to be very interesting, and i need time because this one and the last that i had talked about were in english versions, so i need more time to read and underline some words that i can't understand.... but the first impression that i have of the book that i really never knew is the wealth of "Opus Day" and how powerful they are, it's something that i never had thought, but this it would be a very long story, so it's better go on with the book's that we have read :lol:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

If you have the chance to read it, do it! I can't wait to read it again.
Pixie

Post by Pixie »

Just ended off with reading " Nous les Dieux " by Bernard Werber. It mostly talks about stuff that gods carry out. According to this book, Gods look after us and help us to reach the highest technology. They are about 144 gods and they have to prove how tactful they are (They put exercices into practice) until there's only one God alife, it's fairly interresting.
TearHere
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by TearHere »

i've just read two suspence thrillers.. one is Moment of truth by lisa scottoline, a thrilling story.. it actually has law facts and stuff..about a lawyer who frames hinself for a murder that he didn't do..hires a not-so-good lawyer to defend him.. it has a lot of twists..like it.. and the other one is harvest by tess gerritsen.. i also like this one, it's a medical thriller.. has medical facts and stuff.. but i kind of hated the ending.. but enjoyed the read.. :wink:
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

hi! i've just finished "i'm charlotte simmons" by tom wolfe and i really enjoyed it. it really reflects the lifestyle in some university campus, a topic that, as a student, i'm interested in. i also admire the variety of vocabulary that tom wolfe is allowed to use (from the students slang to academic language) and he makes you develop a strong sympathy towards the main character. well, in some moments he extends too much some stories but anyway i loved the book :)
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

i'm about to start ''Master and Margarita'' (correct me if I misspelled the title);p
TearHere
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by TearHere »

i've just finished da vinci code.. nice one.. my faith wasn't shaken, though .. i like how brown plotted the events and the twists and some real facts.. like the opus dei.. but I absolutely take the whole book as a work fiction.. i'm starting on a work of his too.. angels and demons..can't wait to finish it.. 8)
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

TearHere wrote:i've just finished da vinci code.. nice one.. my faith wasn't shaken, though .. i like how brown plotted the events and the twists and some real facts.. like the opus dei.. but I absolutely take the whole book as a work fiction.. i'm starting on a work of his too.. angels and demons..can't wait to finish it.. 8)
I read Angels and Demons right after The Da Vinci Code, even though the story in the former happens before the latter. I liked Angels and Demons, but not as much as the other one. The first thing I noticed when I went throught the first lines of Angels and Demons was that it began the same way as The Da Vinci Code did. Didn't you think the same, TearHere?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

trinity19 wrote:hi! i've just finished "i'm charlotte simmons" by tom wolfe and i really enjoyed it. it really reflects the lifestyle in some university campus, a topic that, as a student, i'm interested in. i also admire the variety of vocabulary that tom wolfe is allowed to use (from the students slang to academic language) and he makes you develop a strong sympathy towards the main character. well, in some moments he extends too much some stories but anyway i loved the book :)
You should check out his other book, the bonfire of the vanities. It's pretty good, too. You can also either download or rent the movie; it's not as good as the book though since the perspective lens of the director is a bit different than I expected it should have turned out.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Shazzam wrote:I have just finished "Let's Roll". This was a book written by the widow of one of the men involved in foiling the 9/11 flight that crashed in Pennslyvania. It was a very sad story. Her husband and other members of the flight were very brave people.
I remember I had to write an essay about that phrase, "let's keep America rolling!" that was used in ads. Around that period of time wherever you went or whatever you saw, most of them would be, "let's keep America rolling!" I think Chevy was the first one who started to use this phrase in their ad commercial (I'm not sure).
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

LennyeTran wrote:You should check out his other book, the bonfire of the vanities. It's pretty good, too. You can also either download or rent the movie; it's not as good as the book though since the perspective lens of the director is a bit different than I expected it should have turned out.
thank you for the advice, it was his most famous book, i'm sure it must be good. i really admire wolfe's capacity to write about different "worlds"
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

trinity19 wrote: thank you for the advice, it was his most famous book, i'm sure it must be good. i really admire wolfe's capacity to write about different "worlds"
His writing is great; however, it's kinda unattractive to me. I couldn't finish the book I recommended you the first time. I had to try again to finish it all. Some people can use big words, correct grammar and stuff, but their work is just bo-ring. I mean, I don't deny his work is great. Everything is perfect. The way he opens and ends it, but I don't think I would ever sit back to read his books for another time.
TearHere
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by TearHere »

Dixie wrote:
TearHere wrote:i've just finished da vinci code.. nice one.. my faith wasn't shaken, though .. i like how brown plotted the events and the twists and some real facts.. like the opus dei.. but I absolutely take the whole book as a work fiction.. i'm starting on a work of his too.. angels and demons..can't wait to finish it.. 8)
I read Angels and Demons right after The Da Vinci Code, even though the story in the former happens before the latter. I liked Angels and Demons, but not as much as the other one. The first thing I noticed when I went throught the first lines of Angels and Demons was that it began the same way as The Da Vinci Code did. Didn't you think the same, TearHere?
i agree dixie.. i unfortunately had to cut my reading due to alot of projects to be submitted this 2nd semester.. i know it's an irresistable book, but i'd best enjoy the read without any worries in mind..going back, i think it's brown's style, but i don't want to think that it'd(angels and demons) be predictable cause i really like his plotting of twists and events.. so i think i should be giving real time to finish the book, probably the month after next(geezz :oops:, i never did realise that i was this busy) 8) if i were to compare the introduction/ beginning of both stories, IMHO Da Vinci was better, but i bet, A&D has something to offer me too.. :wink:
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

LennyeTran wrote:His writing is great; however, it's kinda unattractive to me. I couldn't finish the book I recommended you the first time. I had to try again to finish it all. Some people can use big words, correct grammar and stuff, but their work is just bo-ring. I mean, I don't deny his work is great. Everything is perfect. The way he opens and ends it, but I don't think I would ever sit back to read his books for another time.
well, i can't judge him cuz i've only read one book by him but, in the case of "i'm charlotte simmons", i was really interested in the world that the book reflects and in the story itself so i never got bored in any of the 900 pages that it has. besides, the student's language and the use of dialogues help a lot.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

trinity19 wrote: well, i can't judge him cuz i've only read one book by him but, in the case of "i'm charlotte simmons", i was really interested in the world that the book reflects and in the story itself so i never got bored in any of the 900 pages that it has. besides, the student's language and the use of dialogues help a lot.
Hmmmmmm... I have to reread that book then. I must say his books are really thick, and he doesn't have many books.
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

the book I've recently read is The master and margarita by a Russian novelist Michal Bulhakow. I thing the book is wonderul and definitely worth reading...
hitchhiker

Post by hitchhiker »

Hello, everyone. I'm new here.
I finished reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy , by Douglas Adams, about two months ago. It was such a humorous, imaginative and interesting science fiction that I could not but laugh every time I thought of the depressed robot Marvin and the Vogon poetry (you'll know what I mean after you read the book).
Actually, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxyis the first book of a five-volume series, followed by The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, So long, and thanks for all the fish, Mostly Harmless and Life, the Universe, and Everything (I'm not sure of the order).
The book has been adapted into a movie this year, and it was after I watched the movie that I read the book. I was amazed at the imagination and logic in the book and that's why I registered here with this name. I wanna be a hitchhiker myself.
hitchhiker

Post by hitchhiker »

By the way, does anyone here know where I can find the original of the Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice?
Thanks.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

When I can't find books in bookstores, I try http://www.amazon.com ;)
Last edited by Dixie on Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
hitchhiker

Post by hitchhiker »

Dixie wrote:When I can't find books in booksstores, I try http://www.amazon.com ;)
Thank you, Dixie. Amazon is great.
Actually, what I really want is a downloading free website, although that may not be fair to the authors and publishers. I always question why books are becoming more expensive everyday when there are so many poor people around the world. Anyhow, I don't think rich people are more willing to spend money on books than on other things.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

hitchhiker wrote: Thank you, Dixie. Amazon is great.
Actually, what I really want is a downloading free website, although that may not be fair to the authors and publishers. I always question why books are becoming more expensive everyday when there are so many poor people around the world. Anyhow, I don't think rich people are more willing to spend money on books than on other things.
This is actually a great opinion. Why don't you put it in a new thread so we could discuss about it? :wink:
hitchhiker

Post by hitchhiker »

LennyeTran wrote:
hitchhiker wrote: Thank you, Dixie. Amazon is great.
This is actually a great opinion. Why don't you put it in a new thread so we could discuss about it? :wink:
Thank you for supporting my point of view, LennyeTran. I am glad that I finally get access to the internet after so long a time. Merry Christmas to you and everybody in this forum (although it is late) and happy New Year.
OK, I will put it in a new thread, but I think it is just my personal opinion and other people may not agree with me.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

hitchhiker wrote:
Thank you for supporting my point of view, LennyeTran. I am glad that I finally get access to the internet after so long a time. Merry Christmas to you and everybody in this forum (although it is late) and happy New Year.
OK, I will put it in a new thread, but I think it is just my personal opinion and other people may not agree with me.
Merry belated Christmas and a Happy New Year to you, too. I know it's your personal opinion, that's why you should put it some where in general discussion or ideas and opinions forum. Most of the posts in these forums are self-opinions :wink: . Thus, it's okay if people have different opinions than yours. We might argue, but after an argument everything should be fine as long as people haven't crossed over the privacy line or take things personal just because of others' different opinions.
vimbo

Post by vimbo »

Hi everyone! talking about authors and novels is always an exciting matter. When I was a teen I was not keen on reading books. The older I became the more I became bookish. My favourite author is Ken Follet! He's a master of suspense. I've read several novels by him and the style of writing is simply brilliant. My recent book called "The third twin" which was not bad but my favourite novels are "The pillars of the earth" (#1); "Eye of the needle" (#2) and "The key of Rebecca" (#3).
Ken Follet is really worth a try.

Ciao
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

I am just reading Girl with a Pearl Earring...

Post by tikay »

The Girl With A Pearl Earring...It is good so far...just about on page 55...I liked the movie...and decided to for the first time read the book after the movie insted of before a movie was made about a book!
Last edited by tikay on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

the last book i read was "the catcher in the rye". it's just fantastic, one of my favourites.
talking about books that became movies, i love "the notebook" film so now i'm reading the book. i will tell you if it's good! :wink:
i know "the pillars of the earth" is good but i'm too lazy to try! maybe in summer :lol:
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

finished that book...it was nice

Post by tikay »

Just finished the book about GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING, it is a really easy to read book, quickly too, and a good story, it is better than the movie and definately a good story of the servent of the Vermeers in 1660's Dutch town. it has a sort of flavor that is hard to describe...but I liked it. A bit sad I guess and interesting history of that painters life/ways too. the painter VERMEER.
I am looking to find GLASS CASTLE which got lost in the messy room last week, it is very good!
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

wow...that was along time ago.Since I wrote that post I read: Growing Up In Orange: My Life with the Guru, about the cult of Bagavan Shree Rashneesh...& I have since read The Glass Castle about a poor family...especially one middle childs life a young girl who is growing up with crazy type of parents, it is completely well written to the point you can relate to the person entirely and sympathize with the family. I read my amazon friend Keith Cymry's book...Hope In a Nutshell....he needed an editor to go over it but it is a fun romp through a quasi-imaginary, landscape... sort of like Tom Robbins. Sean Wisleys Oh The Glory Of It Alland have read a couple more since...the last one was The Immortal which is really good...and now I am reading Televisionary Oracle...pretty bizarre with a very feminist slant and intellectual wording I can hardly swallow. It makes me think of those folks whose vocabulary alone makes me feel like a fool...and (I THINK) I am actually fairly smart. So I dont know If I will be able to get into to it very much if I cant get the gist of it, pretty soon.
I will just point you to my book reviews on these books now...although I did not do one on a couple of them there are more reviews to look at....go to amazon.com and in-put
T.K. Faleofa and click on the name to search for the reviews.
Love to all of you! Happy reading. Oh the (wish) lists in amazon are my way of making guides for my friends (you all)....I could never shelve all those books!
quicksilver
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by quicksilver »

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Poor me , recently , i have read Shakespear's works: comedies, tragedies for my next essay :cry:
Im going to burn out with those works. :?
Last edited by quicksilver on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I've been reading these two books,

Freedom From the Known--by Jiddu Krishnamurti

Five Stages of the Soul--by Harry R. Moody, David Carroll

I don't think I need to write more about these books here since the comments and the ratings from the sites do their justice.
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

hitchhiker wrote: I finished reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy , by Douglas Adams, about two months ago. It was such a humorous, imaginative and interesting science fiction that I could not but laugh every time I thought of the depressed robot Marvin and the Vogon poetry (you'll know what I mean after you read the book).
Actually, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxyis the first book of a five-volume series, followed by The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, So long, and thanks for all the fish, Mostly Harmless and Life, the Universe, and Everything (I'm not sure of the order).
I’ve read Life, the Universe, and Everything about a month ago. I am not a big fan of science fiction, but I liked this book. It was so different from what I usually read. It was hilarious :lol: and easy to read. That’s a cool book :!:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

vimbo wrote:Hi everyone! talking about authors and novels is always an exciting matter. When I was a teen I was not keen on reading books. The older I became the more I became bookish. My favourite author is Ken Follet! He's a master of suspense. I've read several novels by him and the style of writing is simply brilliant. My recent book called "The third twin" which was not bad but my favourite novels are "The pillars of the earth" (#1); "Eye of the needle" (#2) and "The key of Rebecca" (#3).

Ciao
I've got The Pillars of the Earth in my book queue :lol: I bought it a year ago and still haven't had time to read it.
JainaSolo

Post by JainaSolo »

The last books I've read were "Emma" by Jane Austen and "Vanity Fair" by Thackeray.They are both so great that I'd like to read them again if I didn't have lots of other books waiting for me on my bedside table! Now I've started reading "Quo vadis?", H.Sienkiewicz's masterpiece, it's really involving!
Ksju

Post by Ksju »

Goronman wrote:
trinity19 wrote:the last book i've read is 1984 by george orwell

I advise you, by George Orwell, Animal Farm (If you have not read it yet :wink: ). It's a deep critic or the USSR regim and Stalin's dictatory...

Yes, advise Anmal Farm. Really nice book and differs from all other books of the kind. :!:
But I'm afraid it's not just a deep critic of the USSR and Stalin... :x Smth very close and near. But not exactly this.

And 1984, I've read it just now. (Animal farm i like more of course :) ) And I'd like to read 1985 by A Burgess. It's announce as Orwell's book. But I can't find this book yet!
Smb read it? Is it worth to read?
JainaSolo

Post by JainaSolo »

illusion wrote:the book I've recently read is The master and margarita by a Russian novelist Michal Bulhakow. I thing the book is wonderul and definitely worth reading...
I had to read it for school two years ago and I didn't like it much except for some parts, maybe I was still too young to understand it.I think someday I'll read it a second time, I'm too curious to see if I'll like it more! :wink:
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Dixie wrote:
vimbo wrote:Hi everyone! talking about authors and novels is always an exciting matter. When I was a teen I was not keen on reading books. The older I became the more I became bookish. My favourite author is Ken Follet! He's a master of suspense. I've read several novels by him and the style of writing is simply brilliant. My recent book called "The third twin" which was not bad but my favourite novels are "The pillars of the earth" (#1); "Eye of the needle" (#2) and "The key of Rebecca" (#3).

Ciao
I've got The Pillars of the Earth in my book queue :lol: I bought it a year ago and still haven't had time to read it.
You're not alone in your intention! :oops: Actually the book remindes me of itself every time i wake up, the book-shelf is just opposote my bed... I will I'm sure, Ken Follett is not my Jane Austen... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

illusion wrote:the book I've recently read is The master and margarita by a Russian novelist Michal Bulhakow. I thing the book is wonderul and definitely worth reading...
I sign your words.. it is... :wink: :wink:
Cucumber
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cucumber »

So "Dog's heart" is great too!
Ksju

Post by Ksju »

JainaSolo wrote:
I had to read it for school two years ago and I didn't like it much except for some parts, maybe I was still too young to understand it.I think someday I'll read it a second time, I'm too curious to see if I'll like it more! :wink:
Yes, great book. One of my favourites!
And I really advise you to reread it oneday. 'Cos this book is one of that books that should be read several times to understand it and find all layer in it. And then maybe really enjoy it.
It's quite normal you find interesting only some parts of it. After second reading (after some time) you'll find the other parts is more interesting...
Always you open this book you find smth new... :)

Dog's heart...
Tearful book for me! :cry:
But really good of course!
Ksju

Post by Ksju »

If Bulgakov...

you should read White Guards too.