What is the latest book you have read recently?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Krisi, Vega, EC

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Post by MissLT » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:56 pm

Rach wrote:Yes, "Never let me go" is not mainstream, certainly not a book to read just for relaxing*lol*. But I found his writting style very, very interesting, the way he describes characters in this book is amazing. Perhaps I will try "The remains of the day" too, after a while.
Oh it's definitely not. I read his the remains of the day first during my trip to L.A. I'd finished five pages in total when I got back to my city. It was so hard to concentrate on his work. The way he describes his characters is lifelike and characterful, but somehow they're so boring to me. I guess I don't belong to this reading level group.

Rach
Silver Member

Post by Rach » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:44 pm

LennyeTran wrote:I read his the remains of the day first during my trip to L.A. I'd finished five pages in total when I got back to my city. It was so hard to concentrate on his work.
Was it harder to read remains of the day than never let me go? In never let me go he uses a quite simple language, but I guess that's normal since it's written in "I"-perspective, it's almost like spoken language. If remains of the day is more sophisticated I won't read it :shock:

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Post by MissLT » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:03 am

Rach wrote: Was it harder to read remains of the day than never let me go? In never let me go he uses a quite simple language, but I guess that's normal since it's written in "I"-perspective, it's almost like spoken language. If remains of the day is more sophisticated I won't read it :shock:
Sadly to admit, I don't know which one was harder since it was hard for me to read his books even though they're not thick. That's why my books were overdue (forgot to renew them). Now I owe the library about 12 bucks for late fee. Gosh, I have to make a call to beg them to lower the fee. :cry:

Anyway, the remains of the day is not all bad. The language is the same, I guess. However, in this novel he's talking about an English butler who has an American owner. The way he describes the owner is quite funny. I think it's how people think of Americans, either easy-going or busy as a bee, chop, chop, chop type. And then his love. Just give it a try. You might end up liking it. :wink:

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Post by MissLT » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:07 am

There's a movie about it Film You can give it a try. I haven't seen it yet, so I can't give my opinion about this movie.

pencil
Silver Member

Post by pencil » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:25 pm

hi all
i have just read the book " seven habits of highly effective people, a book of Stephen R. Covey. i have tried to read it in english,inspite of having a version in my mother languege. my father has also spent some days on reading it with me, he has helped me much. but i have told him, right now i dont rely on his assistance any more. a great effort for me to understand fully what author wants to express, but i could catch some main meanings. what a difficult book it is! but what a useful book it is too.
anyway if you have time, take some days and have a look at it. i beg you will find something good from this material.
nice day!

Rach
Silver Member

Post by Rach » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:59 pm

LennyeTran wrote: Now I owe the library about 12 bucks for late fee. Gosh, I have to make a call to beg them to lower the fee.

I know that problem, I regularly support the local library with such fees, too :cry:
LennyeTran wrote:There's a movie about it Film You can give it a try. I haven't seen it yet, so I can't give my opinion about this movie.
Of course, the made a movie about it! I knew I had heard the book title before, but I couldn't remember where... I haven't watched it yet, either, which is good, because I like to read the books first before watching the movie :). I think I will give it a try, what you're writting about the story sounds interesting, thanks for the introduction :)

Rach
Silver Member

Post by Rach » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:08 pm

pencil wrote:i have just read the book " seven habits of highly effective people, a book of Stephen R. Covey.
What's it about? :) The book title sounds a bit like a guidebook, or is it a novel anyway?

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Post by MissLT » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:41 pm

:cry: Yeah, last time I had to call them and beg because I was supposed to pay 80 something bucks for late fee. I forgot the books and DVDs I borrowed; they were in my drawers for months. :oops: Gosh, luckily I had built a really good record of returning books early in the past, so they let me off that time.

zaman
Gold Member

Post by zaman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:35 pm

i want to read "my life "but i could not find a site to download from it this book

zaman
Gold Member

Post by zaman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:36 pm

any one have this book please send it for me