What is the latest book you have read recently?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:I'm not reading any book because I don't have the money to afford one. :cry:
You can't borrow books at the library? :?
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote:
Lalee wrote:I'm not reading any book because I don't have the money to afford one. :cry:
No, I don't even have money to get a library card. :cry:
I have some old books on my shelf and I think I've read them hundred of times.
Guys, if you have an old book around, would you mind lending it to me?
I would really appreciate that! :cry:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Lalee wrote: I don't even have money to get a library card. :cry:
You need to pay for a library card in Peru? :shock:
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Dixie wrote:
Lalee wrote: I don't even have money to get a library card. :cry:
You need to pay for a library card in Peru? :shock:
Yes, my dear Dixie.
For instance, we have the National Library here which is quite big. You need to get a card to enter and everything. Also, you are not allowed to borrow a book. Yeah, it sucks, doesn't it?

There are also small libraries around Lima and I suppose they are free.
There is a library in my school and I need a card as well if I want to borrow a book. This card can be yours for 20 soles. I know it's not much but it's money, y'know?
Anyway, I usually go there in order to read something. Too bad I cannot borrow any books from there. Even though I'm a student.
Come to think of it, I used to borrow books from that library. Yeah, students were allowed to borrow books from a particular section. I don't know what happened since then. It seems that policies changed or something.

Dix, have mercy on this poor girl and and lend her an old book of yours, ok? :cry:
Last edited by Lalee on Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Lalee wrote:For instance, we have the National Library here which is quite big. You need to get a card to enter and everything. Also, you are not allowed to borrow a book. Yeah, it sucks, isn't it?
How come you can't borrow a book from a library? What kind of a library is that? I had never heard something like that before. So weird :? Why is that? Maybe they had bad experiences before, such as stealing or books disappearing and that's why they do not allow books to be borrowed? Anyway it's still weird... :roll:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:
No, I don't even have money to get a library card. :cry:
I have some old books on my shelf and I think I've read them hundred of times.
Guys, if you have an old book around, would you mind lending it to me?
I would really appreciate that! :cry:
Wow, I did not know that. I think my friend in Vietnam said they have to pay for the library cards, too. It's monthly or something, and it's quite expensive. Most of my cousins in Vietnam have never gone to a library, can you believe that?
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Dixie wrote:
Lalee wrote:For instance, we have the National Library here which is quite big. You need to get a card to enter and everything. Also, you are not allowed to borrow a book. Yeah, it sucks, doesn't it?
How come you can't borrow a book from a library? What kind of a library is that? I had never heard something like that before. So weird :? Why is that? Maybe they had bad experiences before, such as stealing or books disappearing and that's why they do not allow books to be borrowed? Anyway it's still weird... :roll:
I think that's the reason, Dix. Maybe they have had bad experiences when they used to lend books to people.

Last year, when I got the National library card, I thought I would be able to borrow some books. But I was so disappointed when I realized that it was not possible to take the books home.
Now people who have the card can just read al the books they want "there". :(
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote: Wow, I did not know that. I think my friend in Vietnam said they have to pay for the library cards, too. It's monthly or something, and it's quite expensive. Most of my cousins in Vietnam have never gone to a library, can you believe that?
Monthly? :o
Here's different. Library cards last for a whole year. And it's not too expensive. In fact, the price is reasonable. I'm just stingy. :wink:
I think I'll get the library card of my school the coming month. I'm tired of reading the same books over and over again.

Lennye, I really feel sorry for your cousins there in Vietnam. I believe that the best gifts for them would be books, don't you think?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: Wow, I did not know that. I think my friend in Vietnam said they have to pay for the library cards, too. It's monthly or something, and it's quite expensive. Most of my cousins in Vietnam have never gone to a library, can you believe that?
Monthly? :o
Here's different. Library cards last for a whole year. And it's not too expensive. In fact, the price is reasonable. I'm just stingy. :wink:
I think I'll get the library card of my school the coming month. I'm tired of reading the same books over and over again.
I'm not quite sure about this, though. My friend said monthly, but some said they can borrow books at school, just not taking home, the same thing like your case. And I can't ask my cousins because I think it kinda runs in the family-- we don't look for books. If someone recommends us to see some books because they're good, we'll give them a try. We don't normally go look for good books to read :oops: . Mostof the books I've read are either for my classes, my boyfriend makes me read, or people's recommendations.
Lalee wrote:Lennye, I really feel sorry for your cousins there in Vietnam. I believe that the best gifts for them would be books, don't you think?
Hehehehehehe... I've tried it once and they called me geeky. Oh no, not that, the other word. The bookish word. :roll: So disappointed! What's happened to it's the thought that counts.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

The Bonfire of the vanities by Tom Wolfe. I haven't seen the movie, but the book is worth reading. Twisted plot; interesting ways of discribing characters (he discribes characters' s fashion sense a lot) through clothings, behaving, thinking to emphasize their characteristics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bonfir ... e_Vanities
skony

Post by skony »

I've just read " Don't try this at home" by Katie Pearson.Very interesting book especially for married people. The book has got a great humour and also its own philosophy.
Mina

Post by Mina »

violet wrote:I just finished The Little Prince. I had heard of it thousands of times, but this was the first time I read it. It is really a moving fairy tale! What a lovely boy the little prince is! What a sad story that he is bited by the snake and left earth! I think every girl likes to be the rose in little prince's planet...

I suggest you read it, if you haven't read it before.
:) thanks for your suggestion! I have heard of this book but I haven´t bought it yet.I guess I wasn´t so excited.Thanks a lot!
I am finishing reading " After the funeral" by Agatha Christie.The story is really good!
bye.
serenella
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by serenella »

Violet, I liked The Little Prince a lot and I often read it again.
I think that we should never forget its deepest message: appearance is not important, we should follow what we feel, what our heart suggests us...
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Today I started reading another book written by Charles Dickens. It's going smoothly so far. :)
I'm planning to read a different book every week. Let's see how it goes.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:Today I started reading another book written by Charles Dickens. It's going smoothly so far. :)
I'm planning to read a different book every week. Let's see how it goes.
That's what I usually do in the summer. I write down all the books people have recommended me to read during the year or books on the best-sellers list. Then I borrow them at the library. At my area, we can keep a book for three weeks and we can borrow up till 40 books per week. Thus, in one summer I can read over 20 books.
If you read them in English, you will be amazed of how your English will be improved. Their style of writing will also influent yours. I think you're on a right track of becoming a good writer. Keep it up :wink: .
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Lalee wrote:Today I started reading another book written by Charles Dickens.
You're reading Dickens? What book? Let me know what you think about it when you finish! ;)
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Wow. 40 books is a lot. You are so lucky, Lennye. Wait, is it four or forty? :roll:
At the library where I usually borrow books, you have only two weeks to read them and just can borrow two books per week, that is. Of course you can always renew the book.

Thanks for the encouragement, by the way. I always try to read in English as much as possible. :D
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:Wow. 40 books is a lot. You are so lucky, Lennye. Wait, is it four or forty? :roll:
40, four zero, cutie :wink: .
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Dixie wrote:
Lalee wrote:Today I started reading another book written by Charles Dickens.
You're reading Dickens? What book? Let me know what you think about it when you finish! ;)
The title of the book is "Great Expectations."
Earlier I was catching up with my reading and I stopped when I was on page 40 or something.
The book is not big at all. As a matter of fact, it's pretty small. I think it's about 100 pages long.
Dix, I'll let you know about it as soon as I'm done with it. :wink:
Last edited by Lalee on Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote: 40, four zero, cutie :wink: .
:o 40 is a lot, Lennye. I wish there were a library like that here. Libraries here suck ass! :cry:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote: :o 40 is a lot, Lennye. I wish there were a library like that here. Libraries here suck ass! :cry:
Yeah but amazingly enough, some people still complain about it. Last time I had to do a project about a culture, so I needed to find books of it. I came to the library at 9 something (it's open at 10), I was waiting outside and there were already bunch of people waiting at the door. They were talking so loud. I made a conversation with a group of college students (it was fun). We came to a point about how many books we could borrow at the library, and they were bitter because they could only borrow 40 books :roll: . So weird....
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Lalee wrote: The title of the book is "Great Expectations."
I have that book. I started reading it but didn't finish. It bored me to death!! I'm sorry to say that, master Dickens! Maybe I should try starting it again. Focus!!
serenella
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by serenella »

I don't like Dickens, too. He was surely a great writer, but I don't like reading his books: besides being boring, I think they are too realistic, pessimistic, sad.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote: Yeah but amazingly enough, some people still complain about it. Last time I had to do a project about a culture, so I needed to find books of it. I came to the library at 9 something (it's open at 10), I was waiting outside and there were already bunch of people waiting at the door. They were talking so loud. I made a conversation with a group of college students (it was fun). We came to a point about how many books we could borrow at the library, and they were bitter because they could only borrow 40 books :roll: . So weird....
Ok Lennye, let me get this straight... the students were upset because they could "only" borrow 40 books?? *Gasp*
If they were bitter just for that, I wonder what they would do if they lived here...Hmm...I think they would destroy the libraries here showing their anger and disagreement.
Watch out Lima libraries! :wink:
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Dixie wrote: I have that book. I started reading it but didn't finish. It bored me to death!! I'm sorry to say that, master Dickens! Maybe I should try starting it again. Focus!!
Well, what can I say...the book is not amusing but is not that bad. I'm about to finish it.
This is my first time that I read a Dickens' book so I can't say whether or not his books are all the same.

Come to think of it, I saw a movie similar to that book. Do you remember? Starring Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow. Yeah, it's the same story! :o
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Lalee wrote: Come to think of it, I saw a movie similar to that book. Do you remember? Starring Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow. Yeah, it's the same story! :o
Did you notice everything was green in that movie?
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Dixie wrote:
Did you notice everything was green in that movie?
Hmm...what do you mean with "green"? :roll:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Lalee wrote:
Hmm...what do you mean with "green"? :roll:
By "green" I mean green :D if you notice, everything in the movie is green: the house, the characters' outfits, the walls... Just watch it again! :D
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Dixie wrote: By "green" I mean green :D if you notice, everything in the movie is green: the house, the characters' outfits, the walls... Just watch it again! :D
Hmm...I guess I'll have to see it again. It's been a long time since I watched that movie that's why I can't remember it.

When was the last time you saw it?
Goronman

Post by Goronman »

Hi everybody :!:
The latest book I've read is called "De vita beata" (<=> "Happy life" :? ) by Sénèque, who was a roman philosopher. It is quite astounding to read a book who was written almost 2000 years old ago ! (and it is not so old-fashioned :) ) In this work, he tries to tell us how to lead an happy and quiet life.
Has anybody read a book written by Sénèque ? I advise you this author, who's quite understandable...

Bye
Goronman
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Lalee wrote: When was the last time you saw it?
I don't know, it was the last time that was showed on Spanish TV... months ago.
Tankette

Post by Tankette »

in process of "Strata" by Terry Pratchett.
the last finished was "The name of the Rose" (U.Eco).
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

the last book i've read is 1984 by george orwell and i have to say that, although the story didn't engage me a lot in some moments, it's very interesting because of the world that presents. it's curious how different we are in some things and how similar in others, like the influence of the media. the topics of mind manipulation, manipulation through language, etc. were very interesting too.
have someone read this kind of books? do you prefer others like farenheit or brave new world?

goronman, i think i'm gonna study sénèque next year so i hope i will be able to read something written by him :)
Goronman

Post by Goronman »

trinity19 wrote:the last book i've read is 1984 by george orwell

I've read it too, not a long time ago ! :P Although it's science-fiction, it's quite funny to see how our modern world looks like, or rather begins to look like to Orwell's vision : the importance of media, disinformation, egoism, bachelorhood ( :cry: ) and also mass globalisation. Quite frightening...
I advise you, by George Orwell, Animal Farm (If you have not read it yet :wink: ). It's a deep critic or the USSR regim and Stalin's dictatory...

Good luck with stoics :wink:
BYE
Goronman

P:S Where do you come from Trinity19 ? ( :arrow: I'm just curious :mrgreen: )
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

yeah, you're not the first one that advises me "animal farm" so i think i'm going to pick it up at the library :D i saw things that reminded me to the USSR regim in "1984" too.
i'm from barcelona. i haven't updated my profile yet, i'll do it now :wink:
quicksilver
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by quicksilver »

My hobby is also books, but now i dont have much time to read it , cos the kind i like is fiction books,they are almost very long .
Now im reading Gone with the wind , an old fiction .
but i think it is very famous, so we should read it.
anyone read Anna Karenina by Lev Tonstoil?
martazzz

Post by martazzz »

The lastest book i've read is The Da vinci Code and Angels and Demons... Is there anyone has read them? I think they're so beautiful!! :lol:
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

right now I am reading ''Crime and Punishment'' by a Russian writer called Dostoyevski..
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

illusion wrote:right now I am reading ''Crime and Punishment'' by a Russian writer called Dostoyevski..
That book is very popular here. But I must say I haven't read it.
Francuzzo

Post by Francuzzo »

I have read a Micheal Crichton book the book's name was Congo
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

Dixie wrote:
illusion wrote:right now I am reading ''Crime and Punishment'' by a Russian writer called Dostoyevski..
That book is very popular here. But I must say I haven't read it.
I think you should give it a try, Dixie. It's a reflective story about a guy that murders two innocent women... I find it quite strange as I don't read many of books concering those issues but this one seems really good.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

illusion wrote:I think you should give it a try, Dixie. It's a reflective story about a guy that murders two innocent women... I find it quite strange as I don't read many of books concering those issues but this one seems really good.
Thank you! I will try to look it up.
Marzieh

Post by Marzieh »

The latest book I read was Al-quimista by Pauolo Coelho. It was great and I strongly recommend it to every one.I also hope to read Harry Potter and Half-blooded Prince soon! :!:
serenella
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by serenella »

Marzieh wrote:The latest book I read was Al-quimista by Pauolo Coelho.
Have you read the last book by Paulo Coelho 'The Zahir'?
It's one of the latest books I read and I think it's the best one among all those written by him.
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

serenella wrote:
Marzieh wrote:The latest book I read was Al-quimista by Pauolo Coelho.
Have you read the last book by Paulo Coelho 'The Zahir'?
It's one of the latest books I read and I think it's the best one among all those written by him.
Oh I read the Zahir!!! I even made a post about it earlier but no one never replied so I guess not many people apart from us read it. But to be honest it's not my favourite Coehlo's book. I love the one ''Demon and Miss Prym'' or something like that...
pob
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pob »

illusion wrote: I love the one ''Demon and Miss Prym'' or something like that...
What makes you love that book? It was so boring for me... I can't understand your love :)

I have read several books by Paulo Cohelo and I don't find them very interesting. I don't think he deserves the success he has achieved in selling his books.
On the other hand, I find his work in non-literature based works very interesting. :wink:
pob
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pob »

I bought "Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy" in Moscow... I can't read Russian books yet, but I bought some children books in Russian :D

So that's the book I'm reading now. A dictionary... but it's quite interesting, and I learn an average of 10 words a page.
Pinay

Post by Pinay »

I've just read "Thick Face, Black Heart". It explains a bit about how to apply Chinese Philisophy to our daily struggles with Life.
I appreciate the explanation about 'allowing your dharma to unfold...' Before reading this book, I was such a driven personality. I had to set out the plans, map out the strategy, and prepare for the next battle. That is how I viewed life... and my career. Now, I simply plant the seeds and watch them unfurl their leaves. I allow my dharma to reveal itself to me. But I'm still new to this way of thinking so I have to consciously tell myself to pause, walk or meander for a while. Meandering can be pleasant (I'm learning), especially when I'm having a cup of good coffee and puffing on my slim capri cigarette from the small balcony of my little house.
The eternal student. There is much to learn, discover and talk about.
Pinay

Post by Pinay »

pob wrote:
illusion wrote: I love the one ''Demon and Miss Prym'' or something like that...
What makes you love that book? It was so boring for me... I can't understand your love :)

I have read several books by Paulo Cohelo and I don't find them very interesting. I don't think he deserves the success he has achieved in selling his books.
On the other hand, I find his work in non-literature based works very interesting. :wink:
I love the way he uses simplicity with words to illustrate the most profound truths in life. Take for example the "crystal shop owner' who dreams of going on a pilgrimage to Mecca but remains in his store from year to year. This from his cult classic "The Alchemist". Maybe you have to read Coelho again and deeply...this time.
The eternal student. There is much to learn, discover and talk about.