What is the latest book you have read recently?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Krisi, Vega, EC

Shimami

Post by Shimami » Mon May 14, 2007 9:10 am

Now I'm reading "A Good Yarn" by Debbie Macomber, which is the story about the woman opend a new yarn shop and knitting class then three women joined the knitting class. I have already read the former book "The Shop on Blossom Street" which was written before "A Good Yarn".
At first I wasn't interested in these books but "The New York Times bestselling author" or comments to these books on web made me purchased.
I want to read these novels, especially women.

Shimami

Post by Shimami » Tue May 15, 2007 3:19 am

>I want to read these novels, especially women.

Correction
>I want women to read these novels.

senphoi
Silver Member

books, books, books

Post by senphoi » Tue May 15, 2007 2:09 pm

oh, i just start to read a books, yet i dont know which one to read. how poor i am. on the contrary, im in vietnam, a small country, to find an authentic to read is easy, yet to bear the cost is a matter. i have no idea where to find a good book with cheap price. hehe...
Sen

senphoi
Silver Member

thanks

Post by senphoi » Wed May 16, 2007 3:10 pm

hey Xana,
why do you all give me the articles of loan and equity? do you know any novles or short stories online?
thanks for your articles anyway.
Sen

jmiya

Post by jmiya » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:08 pm

I just finished reading the Harry Potter book ( half bllod prince). It was okey, but not as good as book 2-4. Im looking for more books to read not I dnt know any titles that are nice to read. If you have any suggestion pls feel free to inform me.i like adventures and romance books , but more on adventures like HP :)

senphoi
Silver Member

Post by senphoi » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:07 am

well,i love to have a chance to read the book "the worl is flat". this book is recommended in the Opral show. i heard that it is great. however, i dont know where i can get the free version in the Net. to buy an authentic of this kind is not cheap in my place. hey do you know any site that can read this book?
thank you u guys
Sen

Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Post by Dixie » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:52 am

The last two books I read are L'església del Mar by Ildefonso Falcones and Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. Right now I'm reading Gabriel Garcia Márquez's Cien Años de Soledad. I started reading it because of the good critics I have always heard about it, but the truth is I'm really bored with the book. Has anyone here read it?

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Post by Tora » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:46 pm

Dixie wrote: Has anyone here read it?
I have. I can't remember wether it was boring or not for me... but I definitely remember the book - that means the book really worth reading. It's just classics you can't evade...

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:06 pm

Tora wrote: I have. I can't remember wether it was boring or not for me... but I definitely remember the book - that means the book really worth reading. It's just classics you can't evade...
That's one of the main reasons why I am reading the book, it's a classic. I am aware of my "cultural void" and I want to fix it. I do like the book, but sometimes it's a little... blah! But one thing I am sure of is that I want to finish it.

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Post by Tora » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:06 am

I hope it wouldn't be that hard for you - as I know you READ books :wink: Another reason to be proud of yourself when you finish it finally

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Post by MissLT » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:43 pm

Reading Delirium by Laura Restrepo, Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. So far so good.

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:55 pm

LennyeTran wrote:Reading Delirium by Laura Restrepo, Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. So far so good.
Lennye you're reading three books at a time?

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Post by MissLT » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:59 pm

Actually 5. I've started to like to jump around. :twisted:

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:25 pm

Isn't it a bit messy? :?

imad
Gold Member

Post by imad » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:36 am

The latest book I've read is : The Three Musketeers.
And now I'm reading a french book: quel gachis inspecteur by Exbrayat.

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Post by MissLT » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:37 pm

Dixie wrote:Isn't it a bit messy? :?
At first it was since it's been hard for me to remember and concentrate on anything lately. Can you believe I went around trying to figure out where my pen was when I just put it in my pocket like fiver minutes before? That's why I needed to practice my lazy brain again. And reading several books at a time has helped me. I have to remember where the last part I left off earlier and what it was about.

idalia
Gold Member

Post by idalia » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:22 am

"Flowers in the Atic"

Interesting novel...if you like this sort of literature :wink:

Cypress
Gold Member

Post by Cypress » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:45 am

I had heard a lot about Ernest Hemingway’s works but never read something by this author. So I went to the library and intended to get a book called For Whom the Bell Tolls. It turned out that book is pretty thick, so I grabbed another book by the same author called The Garden of Eden. I guess I shouldn’t have done it. I didn’t like it at all :? . Perhaps one of the reasons is that this novel is incomplete. I probably should’ve read The Old Man and the Sea instead of this one.

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:55 am

Cypress wrote:I had heard a lot about Ernest Hemingway’s works but never read something by this author. So I went to the library and intended to get a book called For Whom the Bell Tolls. It turned out that book is pretty thick, so I grabbed another book by the same author called The Garden of Eden. I guess I shouldn’t have done it. I didn’t like it at all :? . Perhaps one of the reasons is that this novel is incomplete. I probably should’ve read The Old Man and the Sea instead of this one.
I read The Old Man and the Sea two weeks ago. Pretty ... boring? Maybe I'm not good enough for the book :D Anyway I have For Whom the Bell Tolls, too; haven't read it yet.

BTW I saw your wedding pictures. You both look great, congratulations! ;)

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Post by Tora » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:38 pm

talking about Hemingway... I loved "Fiesta, and the Sun also rises"

by the way Dixie, not only LennyeTran is reading several books at a time. 5 volumes are really brain-training :) but I prefer just two - one for each language I know

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:28 pm

I can't... and I wouldn't want to... I prefer to focus on the book I'm reading at the time. Oh and I also read in three different languages so it would be even worse :?

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Post by Tora » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:30 pm

Dixie wrote:I can't... and I wouldn't want to... I prefer to focus on the book I'm reading at the time. Oh and I also read in three different languages so it would be even worse :?
As a matter of fact I'm really worried not to read all the books which are worth reading and watch all the movies which are worth watching during my poor life :D

Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Post by Vega » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:24 am

Marshal G.K.Zhukov " Memoirs and reflections " (Moscow, 1985)

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Post by MissLT » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:18 pm

Tora wrote:talking about Hemingway... I loved "Fiesta, and the Sun also rises"

by the way Dixie, not only LennyeTran is reading several books at a time. 5 volumes are really brain-training :) but I prefer just two - one for each language I know
I haven't found any good Vietnamese books to read lately. If I could, I wouldn't mind to read books in both English and Vietnamese as well. It's a nice challenge and interesting to see how languages can come across. Right now, I can only try to read French books that are suitable for 2-5 years old kids along with my other three English books. My French sucks big time that it's too embarrassing to tell what are the two French books I'm reading. :oops:

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Post by Tora » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:19 am

Sometimes books for kids are enough specific and it's pretty hard to read them, I suppose. I haven't known you're learning French. this is a challenge itself. Right away I can't even think of learning another foreign language. I guess the older I am the more complicated it is to take up new language :cry:

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Post by MissLT » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:23 pm

Before and up til now I could guess the meanings of some French words since some of them are true or semi-true cognates compared to English. For the false cognates, I only need learn about their definitions and not the spelling. I think it's the same thing for other Romance languages as well. I believe you can be able to learn them since you have English as a foundation. The hard part is the speaking and writing. I suck at speaking French the most. Gosh, my accent is a pain from the behind. :cry:

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:56 am

Rasheed wrote:lastnight I read an english play "salome" by oscar wilde

it's good
I love Oscar Wilde!! However I haven't read Salome yet.

Last week I finished Marquez's Cien Años de Soledad (Thank dog!!) and right now I am reading La Clau Gaudí. Really interesting!

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Post by Tora » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:49 pm

I'm reading now Marcel Proust "On Swann's way", this one is one of the most striking authors I have read by now. The language is very close to Russian classics I guess, what I call classics of course :lol: I must confess today I had tears in my eyes while reading - the thing that happens so rare this time :(

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Post by Tora » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:17 pm

I remember a guy who answered the post above, but what on earth - his post has disappeared :lol: doesn't matter... this time I'm sunbathing and reading much, it was Stevenson In the South Seas and James Ellroy L.A. Confidential The last one mentioned consists of 725 pages, read in 3 days. I guess he's on the best detective story writer. The plot is tough, rough, but I've learnt one thing - there is nobody absolutely good or bad, it contradicts with my maximalism anyway :? :lol:

YAYO

Post by YAYO » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:47 pm

Let's see, I can not remember which was the last book that i read, but for me the best book that i' ve read in mi life was: the real true by Al Gore.

illusion
Platinum Member

Post by illusion » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:12 pm

this is so depressing... because of my studies I haven't read anything in months! I can't even remember the last book I read ;> But I'm gonna start off with Nabokov's Lolita. :))

nightwish
Silver Member

Post by nightwish » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:43 pm

Cold Mountain- is the last book I've read recently.

it's a good book.
and it was filmed.

Qoo
Silver Member

Post by Qoo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:04 pm

My lastest book that I read is Bleachers from John Grisham .

Krisi
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Post by Krisi » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Remembering Mother Teresa Queen of the Poor
By: Sr. Leela Moozhayil, fsp :) and
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living
By: Dale Carnegie :)

Dexter
Gold Member

Post by Dexter » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:39 pm

I just finished reading the book The loving spirit by Daphne Du Maurier yesterday. It was a good one!

**Elena**
Gold Member

Post by **Elena** » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:18 am

As for me I just finished to read a book abt slaves (black slaves), abt their life, problems and relations with white ppl. I cant say the name of this book and author bcz a friend of mine gave me a print copy of this book and someone who make this copy forgot to made copy of first list with name of this story hahaha

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Post by Tora » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:22 pm

**Elena** wrote:As for me I just finished to read a book abt slaves (black slaves), abt their life, problems and relations with white ppl. I cant say the name of this book and author bcz a friend of mine gave me a print copy of this book and someone who make this copy forgot to made copy of first list with name of this story hahaha
Самиздат?? :lol: I'm so sorry my english speaking friends :oops:

by the way I have come across several books after outstanding classical writers like Stendhal and Stivenson (told about it before), in those samples their travelling essays, scetches, observations and notes are gathered. Very nice reading indeed!

**Elena**
Gold Member

Post by **Elena** » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:04 am

When you want a novel you simply cannot put down , go to Sheldon!!!

I am reading now "Nothing lasts FOREVER" by Sidney Sheldon.
And also I read "If tomorrow comes" some time ago.

:?: Is here someone who read his novels too?

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Post by MissLT » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:13 pm

I've read almost all of his books. Anyway, you can check here if you'd like to discuss more about his books.

iamvitaly
Silver Member

Post by iamvitaly » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:21 pm

My last book was 'The Abbay's way'. This book talks about famous kazakh lyricist Abai Kunanbaev. Great book! This great novel is translated into 50 languages! I think you can find it...

iamvitaly
Silver Member

Post by iamvitaly » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:55 pm

Really I'm not an expert of Kazakh literature, but something is interesting...

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Post by Tora » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:05 am

iamvitaly wrote:My last book was 'The Abbay's way'. This book talks about famous kazakh lyricist Abai Kunanbaev. Great book! This great novel is translated into 50 languages! I think you can find it...
so here is the poet whose monument was placed in the center of Moscow and I pass him at least 3 times a week :D

iamvitaly
Silver Member

Post by iamvitaly » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:24 pm

Hello, Tora... You're lucky! I didn't know that the Abai's monument was placed in the center of Moscow! It is something new for me... Abai is a legend in our republick, one of the greatest people who ever lived here... It's make me proud of my native land... :P

iamvitaly
Silver Member

Post by iamvitaly » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:24 pm

Hello, Tora... You're lucky! I didn't know that the Abai's monument was placed in the center of Moscow! It is something new for me... Abai is a legend in our republick, one of the greatest people who ever lived here... It's make me proud of my native land... :P

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Post by Tora » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:05 pm

here is the image :wink:

frankly speaking I'd had no idea of him before they placed it :oops:

iamvitaly
Silver Member

Post by iamvitaly » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:14 pm

Tora wrote:here is the image :wink:

Frankly speaking I suspected it :D
What's your favorite author/book? May be I ever heard about him? May be I even read his novels...

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Post by Tora » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:21 pm

iamvitaly wrote:
Tora wrote:here is the image :wink:

Frankly speaking I suspected it :D
What's your favorite author/book? May be I ever heard about him? May be I even read his novels...
:oops:
plenty of them! the one has been already presented in a specific topic here, in Books&Authors forum :oops: :wink:

zaman
Gold Member

Post by zaman » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:11 pm

hello everbody here
i need a books in English espacially political books and romantic stories.
please if anyone have or know about the sites i can do download from it give to me and i will be very thanks to him or her.

shokin
Rough Diamond Member

Post by shokin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:55 pm

The last book I've read is in english (despite I my mother tongue is french) : Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows !

Shokin

kovrov

Post by kovrov » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:07 am

Hi everybody. I'm reading the wonderful book now. It is 'The Prince and The Pauper' by Mark Twain. I think he was ingenious guy(Mark Twain I mean)

illusion
Platinum Member

Post by illusion » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:37 pm

shokin wrote:The last book I've read is in english (despite I my mother tongue is french) : Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows !

Shokin
same here, Shokin :)

illusion
Platinum Member

Post by illusion » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:09 am

I'm reading 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova. I remember Dixie recommended it some time ago and ever since that moment I wanted to read it but never really had time for it, so maybe I will now...;))

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:10 am

illusion wrote:I'm reading 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova. I remember Dixie recommended it some time ago and ever since that moment I wanted to read it but never really had time for it, so maybe I will now...;))
YAY!!! Talk about it on the specific thread when you're done ;)

illusion
Platinum Member

Post by illusion » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:32 pm

Dixie wrote:
illusion wrote:I'm reading 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova. I remember Dixie recommended it some time ago and ever since that moment I wanted to read it but never really had time for it, so maybe I will now...;))
YAY!!! Talk about it on the specific thread when you're done ;)
sure :) but it'll take a while to finish it...

Cypress
Gold Member

Post by Cypress » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:29 pm

I finished reading When I was Puerto Rican by Puerto Rican/American author Esmeralda Santiago. The author came to America when she was 13, and in this book she reveals her memories of living in Puerto Rico and then in New York.
I first learned about Santiago from my Spanish textbook. From the article there, I got an impression that she is a great Latina author, so when I came across this book, I got very excited. However, I was kind of disappointed by the author revealing the “naked moments” of her life. What I liked about the book, nevertheless, was that even though she wrote it in English, she used a lot of Spanish words. I think it made her writing more vivid especially when she described life in Puerto Rico.

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Post by Tora » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:25 pm

The latest book I read was "Sea-wolf" by Jack London and I'm disappointed. I didn't want Jack London to be that romantic when I was picking up a book with such a title... you know I expected rough story about sailing, harsh days on the board of the ship, fur seal hunting, maybe some battles, but then a woman ( :evil: ) climbed the rope and caught the narrator's eye...
I have heard about Patrick O'Brian - an English novelist. I wonder if there any women characters in his novels :lol: I want to read a nice sample about adventures and true men and NO WOMEN CHARACTRERS :lol:

Cypress
Gold Member

Post by Cypress » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:14 pm

Tora wrote:The latest book I read was "Sea-wolf" by Jack London and I'm disappointed. I didn't want Jack London to be that romantic when I was picking up a book with such a title... you know I expected rough story about sailing, harsh days on the board of the ship, fur seal hunting, maybe some battles, but then a woman ( :evil: ) climbed the rope and caught the narrator's eye...
I have heard about Patrick O'Brian - an English novelist. I wonder if there any women characters in his novels :lol: I want to read a nice sample about adventures and true men and NO WOMEN CHARACTRERS :lol:
I really like Jack London’s books; my favorite one is Martin Eden. This fall I plan to visit the place where he lived and the little cottage where he passed away.

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Post by Tora » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:45 am

Agree! I adore the way he writes - easy-going and fascinating, I love his short stories and "Smoke Bellew" novel, but this very moment I wanted to read something romance-excluding and made a mistake :(

I haven't read Martin Eden yet but watched a theatre play on TV and liked it a lot :wink:

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Post by Tora » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:22 am

Philip Roth American Pastoral

And I may say it's one of the best modern novels I have read recently

Aye, Aye! Finally I have finished reading Moby-Dick novel!!! It's lasted for 6 months! Now I'm starting Charles Dickens "David Copperfield" - a book I was beginning to read for several times and found boring. After Melville Dickens seems to be so easy-to-read and fascinating :lol:

CityYoung
Gold Member

Post by CityYoung » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:58 am

by the river Piedra i sat down and wept . by Paulo coelho .
this book reflects all the mysteries of love and life .
so interesting book . :wink:

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Post by Tora » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:55 pm

I successfully finished Dickens and also Robert Penn Warren, I was wondering is someone have read "Vanity Fair"? I'm curious if the language is possible for such a reader as me? probably in comparison to Dickens, as I'm thinking of picking up Tekkerey next :roll: thanks in advance

Krisi
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Post by Krisi » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:58 pm

OPUS DEI
By: John L. Allen, Jr.

An educational book. I learned a lot from this.
Last edited by Krisi on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:44 am

Tora wrote:I successfully finished Dickens and also Robert Penn Warren, I was wondering is someone have read "Vanity Fair"? I'm curious if the language is possible for such a reader as me? probably in comparison to Dickens, as I'm thinking of picking up Tekkerey next :roll: thanks in advance
I have it, but I haven't read it yet :roll:

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Post by Tora » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:22 am

Dixie wrote:
Tora wrote:I successfully finished Dickens and also Robert Penn Warren, I was wondering is someone have read "Vanity Fair"? I'm curious if the language is possible for such a reader as me? probably in comparison to Dickens, as I'm thinking of picking up Tekkerey next :roll: thanks in advance
I have it, but I haven't read it yet :roll:
So I'll tell you when I finish :wink:

**Elena**
Gold Member

Post by **Elena** » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:36 pm

Hello!
Now I am reading Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Memoirs of a Geisha tells the fictional story of Chiyo, a young Japanese girl, whose family, unable to support her, sell her to a geisha house in the city of Kyoto during the 1930s. A geisha is a professional female companion for men in Japan, trained in music, dancing, and the art of conversation. The geisha training is a life of virtual slavery, and Chiyo finds herself working as maid to a malevolent geisha called Hatsumomo who, jealous of Chiyo' beauty, makes her life utterly miserable. One day, as Chiyo weeps by a stream in the city, a wealthy man stops and comforts her. Chiyo, deeply moved by the man' kindness, knows that she will never forget him. Two years later, a geisha called Mameha, as kind as Hatsumomo is cruel, takes Chiyo under her wing. Chiyo, now renamed Sayuri, becomes a successful geisha, renowned for her beauty. Then one day she meets the man who had comforted her by the stream. But life does not run smoothly for Sayuri and there are powerful obstacles that prevent the two from coming together ...

And here the first chapter of this novel :D
Maybe it will be interesting for someone :D
http://michelleyeoh.info/Movie/Mg/Book/geisha_ch1.html

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:06 pm

**Elena** wrote:Hello!

Memoirs of a Geisha tells the fictional story of Chiyo, a young Japanese girl, whose family, unable to support her, sell her to a geisha house in the city of Kyoto during the 1930s. A geisha is a professional female companion for men in Japan, trained in music, dancing, and the art of conversation. The geisha training is a life of virtual slavery, and Chiyo finds herself working as maid to a malevolent geisha called Hatsumomo who, jealous of Chiyo' beauty, makes her life utterly miserable. One day, as Chiyo weeps by a stream in the city, a wealthy man stops and comforts her. Chiyo, deeply moved by the man' kindness, knows that she will never forget him. Two years later, a geisha called Mameha, as kind as Hatsumomo is cruel, takes Chiyo under her wing. Chiyo, now renamed Sayuri, becomes a successful geisha, renowned for her beauty. Then one day she meets the man who had comforted her by the stream. But life does not run smoothly for Sayuri and there are powerful obstacles that prevent the two from coming together ...

I read it last year and absolutely loved it. The movie is nothing compared to the novel, as always. I think we had a thread about the book, Elena.

**Elena**
Gold Member

Post by **Elena** » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:25 am

Dixie wrote:
**Elena** wrote:Hello!

I read it last year and absolutely loved it. The movie is nothing compared to the novel, as always. I think we had a thread about the book, Elena.
Hello Dixie, yes. I do agree with you no comparison with a movie. I just finished to read a first chapter and have already understood it!

Melek
Gold Member

Post by Melek » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:51 am

PAULO KOELO 'ALCHEMIST"

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:58 am

melek wrote:PAULO KOELO 'ALCHEMIST"
A true jewel. Love it.

Melek
Gold Member

Post by Melek » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:24 am

Dixie wrote:
melek wrote:PAULO KOELO 'ALCHEMIST"
A true jewel. Love it.

yes,I have read plenty of books,but not like that..it's something.both love,both life,both treasure.the main finding the GENERAL LANGUAGE & real treasure LOVE.I liked it very much

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:40 am

Melek, after The Alchemist, I am trying to get all of Coelho's books. I've got a few now, and they are all amazing. So, if you get the chance, try to read any other of his books. I'm sure they won't disappoint you.

Melek
Gold Member

Post by Melek » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:39 pm

Dixie wrote:Melek, after The Alchemist, I am trying to get all of Coelho's books. I've got a few now, and they are all amazing. So, if you get the chance, try to read any other of his books. I'm sure they won't disappoint you.

thx,a lot ,Dixie! I'll try

ashgore

Post by ashgore » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:30 pm

I recently read Shataram (non-fiction), which means man of peace in Hindi. It was written by Gregory David Roberts. A personal story about his own life encounters. He fled to India, after being sentenced to 13 years in prison in Australia for committing a series of armed robberies. The story predominantly revolves around his life in Bombay. There he lived in the slums, worked as a doctor for slum-dwellers, became a counterfeiter, smuggler, fell in love, addiction, and much more.

Every time I read this book, it kept me thirsty for more. Lately, I learned that it's being made into a movie with actor Johnny Depp.

Melek
Gold Member

Post by Melek » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:21 pm

SIDNEY SHELDON 'RAGE OF ANGELS'

xqama

Post by xqama » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:10 pm

The lastest book i read is "Harry Potter". Now, I am 19 years old. And I began to read "Harry Potter" in 7 years ago. It attracts me. I love the characters in the story: Harry, Hermione, Ron, Neville, Fred, Goegre.... They are so fun, brave... And I realize that:"Love is the power". Now, the story ends but I think it became part of my life... :D

Melek
Gold Member

Post by Melek » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:51 am

Ive recently finished 'briefly about Britain"

vinhtruong

Post by vinhtruong » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:33 am

I have finished "if you weren't a dream" a Mc LEvil's Book. Any body read it? I have plan to read the part II of this book, "Meeting again".

Saku
Silver Member

Post by Saku » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:44 am

vinhtruong wrote:I have finished "if you weren't a dream" a Mc LEvil's Book. Any body read it? I have plan to read the part II of this book, "Meeting again".
Hello Vinh Truong, I read this novel already. You should read the second part. It's really romantic. It's one of my favorite books. Always believe in love, even it might just like a dream. That's what I've learnt from Levil's story.

Saku
Silver Member

Post by Saku » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:51 am

By the way, I've just finished the book 'Digital Fort' by Dan Brown. It's good but I prefer his 'Da Vinci Code' more. 'Digital Fort' didn't give me any impression left when I finished it.

vinhtruong

Post by vinhtruong » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:56 pm

Saku wrote:By the way, I've just finished the book 'Digital Fort' by Dan Brown. It's good but I prefer his 'Da Vinci Code' more. 'Digital Fort' didn't give me any impression left when I finished it.
Danbrow is a great writter. I want to read all his novels. 'Da Vinci Code' is the best book I've ever read.

Melek
Gold Member

Post by Melek » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:49 am

I've recently finished George Eliot-the mill on the Floss

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Post by Tora » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:13 am

Some time ago I read "Dubliners" after James Joyce. It impressed me loads. I remember some of you guys talking about his book and author but can't remember who in particular... :wink:

It is a marvellous edition telling about his life and the book's fate in our country, imagine a translator was sent to concentration camp for doing his job...
The book has left such a deep feeling of desolation and endless melancholy in me.

funnyclick

Post by funnyclick » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:38 pm

The last book I've read is " The little Prince". Like its introductrory, it's a book about children but it was written for adults because they will find themselves in every stories told by that little prince. The author Saint - Exupéry, a writer and a pilot, gave me a meaningful story, which made me burst into tears when reading the ending.

**Elena**
Gold Member

Post by **Elena** » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:24 pm

I am reading now "Of mice and men" by Steinbeck

It the compelling story of two outsiders striving to find their place in an unforgiving world.
Drifters in search of work, George and his simple-minded friend Lennie. have nothing in the world except each other and a dream - a dream that one day they will have some land of their own. Eventually they find work on a ranch in California's Salinas Valley, but their hopes are doomed as Lennie, struggling against extreme cruelty, misunderstanding and feelings of jealousy, becomes a victim of his own strength. Tackling universal themes; friendship and a shared vision, and giving voice to America's lonely and dispossessed, of Mice and men has proved one of Steinbeck's most popular works, achieving success as a novel, a Broadway play and three acclaimed films.

Oriani
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007

Post by Oriani » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:40 pm

"The Little Prince"... I have to write an essay about it. I don't like reading personally but sometimes I feel attracted to the art of reading and well, the miracle appears, lol. I am not bad at all, lol 8)

lacivert

Post by lacivert » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:17 pm

I've recently finished "the Infınıte light" by M.Fethullah Gülen.It's about prophet mohammed(s.a.s).

lacivert

Post by lacivert » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:38 pm

to tell the aouthor I found ana article about him.

Muslim world in transition: Contributions of the Gülen Movement

A conference was held in London on Oct. 25-27 to discuss contributions of the Gülen movement, led by Fethullah Gülen. This conference was launched at the House of Lords and was attended by several members of parliament, lords, baronesses, newspaper editors, academics, dignitaries and high-ranking civil servants.
The conference's main theme centered on the Gülen movement's actual and potential positive contribution to transition in the Muslim world vis-à-vis education and dialogue for a lasting peace, democracy, peaceful coexistence and human rights.
The conference proceedings book has already been published by the Leeds Metropolitan University Press and describes the movement as a leading movement in contemporary Turkey with a universal educational and interfaith agenda that aims to promote creative and constructive positions on issues such as democracy, multiculturalism, globalization and interfaith dialogue in the context of secular modernity.

As promised in the preface of the book, Gülen's re-reading of religious texts in the context of a renewal and re-interpretation of Islam that can take part in the building of a fully humane society in Europe also featured in the deliberations of the conference.

Many presenters underlined that the Gülen movement is renewing Islamic discourse and practices in tune with contemporary times without boasting that it is doing so. Many of the movement's activities in the Muslim world were elaborated on in detail from an academic perspective for the first time. Some papers argued that Gülen's understanding of Anatolian Muslimness and his tajdid (renewal) can be transferred with some contextual modifications to other parts of the Muslim world as well as to Muslims living in the West.

The conference was not without criticism. E-mails were sent to members of the editorial board asking them to call off the conference, labeling the Gülen movement an extension of the imperialist West and a project of moderate Islam fashioned by the US that seeks to destroy democracy in Turkey, etc.

Many scholars who participated in the conference commented about how they were surprised to see that the author(s) of these e-mails naively expected serious scholars to believe these groundless and unsubstantiated accusations, adding that these e-mails helped them understand Turkey more in terms of the old elite's adamant, but desperate, fight against the prospects of open society.

Many papers agreed that Gülen is a contemporary Mevlana Celaladdin Rumi. It is no coincidence that Rumi -- like Gülen -- was also misunderstood by some in his lifetime. Some reactionary conservatives in Rumi's time criticized him harshly because he was open to "the other" and accepted everyone as they were. Some even claimed that Rumi was not a Muslim at all while others claimed that he was a spy of the occupying Mongols. Some even suggested that Rumi was after political power. Looking in retrospect, it is crystal clear how odd these accusations really are.

Coming from and continuing in the same tradition, it is not surprising then that Gülen faces similar odd accusations directed at him by those who see the world from a narrow perspective. Likewise, sharing the same fate with Rumi makes Gülen a Rumi of this age.

Turkish people love fethullah gülen beause of his teachings.he is both seyyid and serif.also he is the founder of Turk collges in the world.And in his book " Infinite Light" he tells the perfect life of our prophet muhammed and his sahabes very beautifully.

faithfulman

Post by faithfulman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:22 am

I've recently finished "planet des singes" by pierre boulle

lacivert

Post by lacivert » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:03 pm

Dear Rasheed

Thank you for your concern,

I also have a Norsie collection and finished some of them for ex. "the words" is very good at explaining matters about faith in islam

BYthe way,I want to visit Omayyad Mosque one day..

BenM
Silver Member

Post by BenM » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:37 pm

The Alchamist I loved it. It was so great with it's lessons involved within the story

Wong

Post by Wong » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:16 am

I am now reading"THE ALCHEMIST"

gvantsa

Post by gvantsa » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:38 pm

the latest book i've read is "Impatience Of Heart" by Zveig

sorry,i'm not sure if i have written the author and the name of book correctly :?

correct it,please,if you can :)
togather we stand,divided we fall.........

laa laaa laaaaaa........

: )))))

Melek
Gold Member

Post by Melek » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:40 pm

ALCHEMY-a form of chemistry studied in the Middle Ages which involved trying to discover how to change ordinary meatls into gold
CHEMISTRY-the scientific study of the structure of substances,how they react when combined etc.

p.s.ALCHEMIST is really very interesting book.

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:17 pm

I'm about to finish John Grisham's Playing for Pizza. Gosh, what a bore! One of the two books I bought last month in England turned out to be not worth it! :( My first book of this year... Ouch!

Can't wait to finish and start World Without End.

aPeace

Re: pg

Post by aPeace » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:50 pm

the latest book I have read is Le père Goriot , by HONORE de BALZAC . ( French)

It's a fantastic story about a father and his two daughters .

nancywu
Silver Member

Post by nancywu » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:57 am

oh my god, after graduation in july, 2007, i haven't read any book. maybe it is time for me to read someone now.

Melek
Gold Member

Post by Melek » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:56 am

Rasheed wrote:
melek wrote:ALCHEMY-a form of chemistry studied in the Middle Ages which involved trying to discover how to change ordinary meatls into gold
CHEMISTRY-the scientific study of the structure of substances,how they react when combined etc.

p.s.ALCHEMIST is really very interesting book.
thanks melek

welcome,always ready to help

Melek
Gold Member

Post by Melek » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:45 am

I am about to finish 'Ali & Nino" by Kurban Said.very interesting love novel :)

thuyhanoi

Post by thuyhanoi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:27 pm

"chicken soup for the soul" is the nearest book that i have read recently . so i think this book is very fine . it share more experience of life, save a life ...
it can a gift for you on the holiday . :wink:
everyone should read the book ^^
the authors are Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen.
Let's read :P

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:37 pm

thuyhanoi wrote:"chicken soup for the soul" is the nearest book that i have read recently . so i think this book is very fine . it share more experience of life, save a life ...
it can a gift for you on the holiday . :wink:
everyone should read the book ^^
the authors are Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen.
Let's read :P
I have heard a lot about this book. I am sure it will end up in my personal collection :mrgreen: