Quran

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

kind_heart

Who have read this book?

Post by kind_heart »

The Challenge Of The Qur'aan

Literature and poetry have been instruments of human expression and creativity, in all cultures. The world also witnessed an age when literature and poetry occupied pride of position, similar to that now enjoyed by science and technology.

Muslims as well as non-Muslims agree that Al-Qur’aan is Arabic literature par excellence - that it is the best Arabic literature on the face of the earth. The Qur’aan, challenges mankind in the following verses:

And if ye are in doubt As to what We have revealed From time to time to Our Servant, then produce a Soorah Like thereunto; And call your witnesses or helpers (If there are any) besides Allah, If your (doubts) are true. But if ye cannot –And of a surety you cannot. hen fear the Fire Whose fuel is Men and Stones – Which is prepared for those Who reject Faith.
[Al-Qur’aan 2:23-24]

(Al-Qur’an 2:23-24 indicates Soorah or Chapter No. 2 and Ayaat or Verses 23 and 24.)

The same notation is followed throughout the book. References and translation of the Qur’aan are from the translation of the Qur’aan by Abdullah Yusuf Ali, new revised edition, 1989, published by Amana Corporation, Maryland, USA.

The challenge of the Qur’aan, is to produce a single Soorah (chapter) like the Soorahs it contains. The same challenge is repeated in the Qur’aan several times. The challenge to produce a Soorah, which, in beauty, eloquence, depth and meaning is at least somewhat similar to a Qur’aanic Soorah remains unmet to this day. A modern rational man, however, would never accept a religious scripture, which says, in the best possible poetic language, that the world is flat. This is because we live in an age, where human reason, logic and science are given primacy. Not many would accept the Qur’aan’s extraordinarily beautiful language, as proof of its Divine origin. Any scripture claiming to be a divine revelation must also be acceptable on the strength of its own reason and logic.

According to the famous physicist and Nobel Prize winner, Albert Einstein, “Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind.” Let us therefore study the Qur’aan, and analyze whether The Qur’aan and Modern Science are compatible or incompatible?
The Qur’aan is not a book of science but a book of ‘signs’, i.e. ayats. There are more than six thousand ‘signs’ in the Qur’aan of which more than a thousand deal with science. We all know that many a times Science takes a ‘U-turn’. In this book I have considered only established scientific facts and not mere hypotheses and theories that are based on assumptions and are not backed by proof.
RedRose

Quran

Post by RedRose »

I bought a book Quran from bookstore today. it is english version. it is a wonderful book!

I have to say, it is a magic book. I am not a Muslim, and at the beginning, I read Quran just because of curiosity. but now I am so infatuated with this book!

I wonder why Arabian acient people could predict so many things!
juhainah

Post by juhainah »

It made me pleased that u became infatuated with Quran. I am an Arab and Muslim girl. Of course, the more you know about Islam, the more infatuated with it you will be. Islam is the religion of justice, happiness, chastity, truth, clarity, sincerity, altruism, and mercy. :)
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

But an Arabian guy told me, Quran of english version isn't as authentic as the Arabic one. maybe that is just a matter of translation. any work will become kinda different after it is translated in the other language.
juhainah

Post by juhainah »

Anyway, I haven't read the translation of the meaning of Quran, but as you said, it is maybe different as they only translate the meaning of the Quran cuz it has to go this way. By the way, u made me curious to read the English version.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

juhainah wrote:Anyway, I haven't read the translation of the meaning of Quran, but as you said, it is maybe different as they only translate the meaning of the Quran cuz it has to go this way. By the way, u made me curious to read the English version.
after you read Quran's english version, you will think the Arabic version better :D I guess
juhainah

Post by juhainah »

I'll try to find the English version in order to know how it is like. You know what, this subject is driving me to think of the translation of Arabic Texts into English which is more difficult than the reverse.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

you mean, to translate, Arabic---English is more difficult than English ----Arabic?

anyway, this english version is very wonderful. the translator must be an english professor!

In Quran, there are many verses, each of which describes a story. some stories are so mysterious and profound.
juhainah

Post by juhainah »

you mean, to translate, Arabic---English is more difficult than English ----Arabic?

EXACTLY!

anyway, this english version is very wonderful. the translator must be an english professor!

WOULD U MIND TELLING ME HIS NAME. PLZ?

In Quran, there are many verses, each of which describes a story. some stories are so mysterious and profound.

ACTUALLY, QURAN HAS MANY STORIES. EACH OF WHICH HAS A MESSAGE.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

juhainah wrote:[

WOULD U MIND TELLING ME HIS NAME. PLZ?

the translator's name is D.S. Sucec, whose english is nearly as good as yours! juhainah!

Maybe I should learn some Arabic, u know what? my Arabic is very poor, I just know 123456789 in Arabic :cry: :cry:
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Redy,

I´m proud of you. Even you don´t belive in any religion you have the disposition to not close your mind and acept to know one of the most interesting books arround the world, and a 100 per cent holly book.
You must to read the chapter of Maria.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

oh, unbelievable! Quran mentioned Maria!

Elba, when I read your post, I jumped to the chapter about Maria. but it seems that Maria of Quan is so different than Maria of Bible. each religion has its own explanation about the same stuff.

Yeah, I am an Atheist. so from my viewpoint, each explanation is for its own religion.

and in Quran, Juses was a messenger of Allah just like Muhammad!
juhainah

Post by juhainah »

Thanks RedRose for giving me the translator's name. I'll try to find that book.

It's good to hear that you wanna learn Arabic. At least u can count from 1 until 9 in Arabic. Don't give up, the task that takes a long time begins with one step (this is a proverb in Arabic). I can teach u Aranic if u want :) .

I totally agree with what u have said Elba. I also like this sense of quest in RedRose. Talking of the chapter of Maria, Maria of Bible is different than Maria of Quran. Moreover, Jesus is a messenger of Allah like Mohammed. We can talk in details about this issue. I'll be back to do so. If u have anything to discuss concerning this subject, RedRose, don't hesitate. I can inform u with anything dealt with each chapter.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Elba wrote:Redy,

I´m proud of you. Even you don´t belive in any religion you have the disposition to not close your mind and acept to know one of the most interesting books arround the world
I was going to say the same!! Everybody should be as open-minded as RedRose. She doesn't believe in religion, and yet she is interested in reading that book and seeing what it is like. I don't know many people who would do something like that. Great job, Zhu!!! ;) I am your greatest fan :D
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

Dixie wrote:
Elba wrote:´Great job, Zhu!!! ;) I am your greatest fan :D
OMG! last week my bf just said he was my fan(he meant, perverted fan), and now Dixie is my fan too. so Dixie is my second fan! :lol:

and juhainah, thank you for your help! if I have any problem when I start learning Arabic, I will let you know! :)
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Redy,

I´m your fan too, and Frengo, and Unknownsu and all EC members.
I know Quran has a different concept of Maria, but it is important you know this point of view and what she mean to muslims. I´m not defend the chatolic concept of the mother of Jesus, but I´m not atack it too.
What I mean is that people should know what the religious symbols mean for anothers in order to not ofend the feelings of nobody. After Quran you should read something about the Bible, and of course I recomend you the Apocrif chapters of the Bible. They would be difficult to find, but you can do it at Internet.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

thanks, fans! I will read Bible (although I already read some chapters of Bible online). and Now I have to read Quran. :lol:

Sometimes, religion books can widen our sights, and help us learn other cutures. that is pretty cool.
Usama

Post by Usama »

Hi...Can i join the disscusion?
or i will interrupt you.. :oops:

I am very glad to hear that you (redrose) enjoyed reading in Quran..
I am an arab also..and i can tell you whatever you want about Quran , Islam and Arabic language..(Such as juhainah :D )

Quran is really a superb book...it filled with a great number of miracles we can watch it nowadays...

and If you are intersted in reading more about maria in Quran, you can read the last sections of the third chapter in Quraan (Al-Emran)...Sory i am not quite sure of the spelling).

but i am really happy of being open-minded...
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

thanks usama for your enthusiastic help. Muslim are so kind.

yeah, I are reading Quran in detail. In this magic book, some explanations for natural phenomena are very amazing. some phonemena have been proved by modern advanced instruments just in pass 1000 years, but Quran described and explained these phonemena more than 1000 years ago! that is a real mystery!
Usama

Post by Usama »

RedRose wrote: but Quran described and explained these phonemena more than 1000 years ago! that is a real mystery!
You are absolutely right.. :)
and that is the miracle..
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

RedRose wrote: so Dixie is my second fan! :lol:
Come on you knew from the very beginning!! :D I am your #1 fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VOTE REDROSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mrgreen:
leen@rasel
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by leen@rasel »

of coursa my dear many people have raed this book because it is realy a book of truth and mericales it is the book of lessons and advices it is a sourse of strength power and hope no one realizes its worth until he reads it is realy a treasure and i thank you for your topic and iblieve that you are muslim, just like me ,who hopes that everyone one day will realize this fact :P and i would like to ask you for your e-mail and your country ....thanks :wink:
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

wow! the Arabic 12345 is so different than what I have known before! thank you for your kind help.

Thalia, this homework is so hard for me :cry: by comparison, I rather read Quran's stories of english version. :lol:

in this book, at beginning, the author mentioned a scary story, which was about Adam!!! Adam had two sons, one was Abel, the other was Cain...Cain killed Abel for a woman!

and in Quan, Adam(Peace be upon him :) ) was just a messenger of Allah. I had never known that Adam was in Islam this way before. each religion is so different than the others.
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

RedRose wrote:wow! the Arabic 12345 is so different than what I have known before! thank you for your kind help..
any time! :wink:
RedRose wrote:Thalia, this homework is so hard for me :cry: by comparison, I rather read Quran's stories of english version. :lol: .
Then check Chapter XXVIII It's full of stories about most of the prophets(peace be upon them)
RedRose wrote:in this book, at beginning, the author mentioned a scary story, which was about Adam!!! Adam had two sons, one was Abel, the other was Cain...Cain killed Abel for a woman!

and in Quan, Adam(Peace be upon him :) ) was just a messenger of Allah. I had never known that Adam was in Islam this way before. each religion is so different than the others.
You are right! A lot of Non-Muslims think that we only believe in Mohamad(peace be upon him) as a messenger from Allah... and that is wrong....
We believe in Moses, Aron, Adam and Eve, Jesus, Job, Joseph, Jacob , etc..............
Usama

Post by Usama »

You are right! A lot of Non-Muslims think that we only believe in Mohamad(peace be upon him) as a messenger from Allah... and that is wrong....
We believe in Moses, Aron, Adam and Eve, Jesus, Job, Joseph, Jacob , etc..............
You are definitely right...
and i think it's a big deal to have this wrong ideas.. :(
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Miss Ladybird,

Do you acepted me in your class.I have short time, too much activities but I´m going to try to be a good student :wink:
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

Elba wrote:Miss Ladybird,

Do you acepted me in your class.I have short time, too much activities but I´m going to try to be a good student :wink:
Of course I do........ :D
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....... Teacher Thalia........ I kinda like it............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marzieh

Post by Marzieh »

Great topic,Red rose!
You know, I was born a Muslim because my parents are Muslims.But I thought I should not take it for granted,like what most people do.I read many books about Islam and other religions ... and finally accepted Islam MYSELF although I was already a Muslim!! But now that I have done it I will never doubt or hesitate about this Holy religion!(I have started to learn Arabic in school in order to understand Quran better!!)You will enjoy reading Quran for sure! :D
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

Thanks guys! you guys are so kind.

and yes, Quran is an amazing book! and this translator is really brilliant!
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

RedRose wrote:Thanks guys! you guys are so kind.

and yes, Quran is an amazing book! and this translator is really brilliant!
I have briefly read through this forum and I must admit I am so impressed. No one is trying to force their opinions on anyone I put this down to REDROSE she is an amazing ambassador for this site. It is so nice that no one is judging or telling anyone what to believe; or forcing their opinions.

These are the only gifts that we really have in life (the right to form our own opinions). We all probably believe differently, and that is ok. We just have to accept that and gain the knowledge that we need to accept it.

Congradulations Redrose you are an inspiration.

I have looked at so many topics that end up in hateful words and you have just created a topic that everyone can feel free to open up in without being cut down. 8) 8)
Last edited by Shazzam on Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
frengo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by frengo »

I am very interested in Quran, too, so i have started to read it briefly, just to have a first idea of it (later I will do so more deeply). Sometimes I find some part needing an explaination. For example, have you already read the verse N. 34 inside the "An-Nisâ'" (sure number 4)? I have read that in Italian, so I'm sorry but I cannot post it here. I would like to have a comment not only from you, but also from some Muslim woman. Thank you!

Furthermore, can you please give me an example of the scientific demonstrations you have found inside the Quran? I would like to read some of them (give me the Sure number and verse). Thanks...
waiting4sunny

??

Post by waiting4sunny »

How do you think of it?
I think it is a greatful book!
I'm looking forward to hear from you !
BOUKHATEM

Post by BOUKHATEM »

really when i entered that forum and saw the amazing quotes i wept and i was extremely happy.I'm a muslim and i red also about the other religions especially boudhism and christianity and the more i read the more i get persuaded that islam is the truth. thank you for every one for being open-minded and a special thanks for every non-muslim whose working his mind and seeking for truth.
GoldenPearl

Post by GoldenPearl »

Thank you Rid rose and to all who search for the truth and we should not forget to thank God ( Allah ) for Giden us to the truth and justice and for showin us the way of happiness through his verses may allah bless you all :)
CityYoung
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by CityYoung »

Hi guys . it's a nice topic to discuss . first of all , I want to say hunam must think about everything around him/her .for examble ( tree). what is it ? who made it ? why it made ? who could make it ?
and most of thing around you made to help and to keep human alive . Am I right ?

and we must think who want to keep us alive ?
and why he want us alive ?

you can find all answer these questions in Quran

I'm happy to ask me whatever you want ?

thank you . Good luck guys :wink:
fortminor
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by fortminor »

Im your Next fan ! ( I donnu the number :wink: )
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Quran

Post by Annaa »

I`m a muslim girl I like to read islam books,but I still don`t read the Quran.When I`m going to be 18 or 19 I will read it cuz it`s God book.
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..
sweetmaria
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by sweetmaria »

i feel sometimes, when i need a answer i can find this questions in Islam..
I am trying to read Quran, I am not finish to read it.. :~: :oops:
But i wish to finish it soon..!!
Live your life so that when you die,you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying
sweets
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweets »

red rose
wonder why Arabian acient people could predict so many things!
red rose
arabian acient people did not predict this things but Allah inspire our Prophet Mohammed "Peace be upon him' and told him in many ways

sweetmaria
if u have any question about islam iam moslem so ;-) and ask me if u have any question and their are many moslms here so do not hesitate

ANNA
so u tried to read form Quraan that's good do u know that read it in Rammdan gives u Handouts more than atherdays so try to finsh it in this rammdan inshalla

city young u back nice to see u againe how are u

and thanx for everyone Participated in this topic

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers to all ;-)
دخلت حياتي كنسمة وخرجت منها كإعصار
sweetmaria
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by sweetmaria »

sweets wrote: sweetmaria
if u have any question about islam iam moslem so ;-) and ask me if u have any question and their are many moslms here so do not hesitate

{-: Thanks...
Live your life so that when you die,you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying
sweets
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweets »

ur welocme sweetmaria :mrgreen:
prosperity

Post by prosperity »

Hi
you made me happy my friends :-P ,i didn't expect a discussion about Qoran in English club :!!:
I'm a Muslim too, i have just finished reading Qoran
it's very interesting .you can learn a lot of things about your life and it reminds you that you are a passenger here so try to have a good trip {-; .
thanks
sweets
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweets »

prosperity
ur totally right it's so intersting and full of everthing

cheeeeeeeers
Malvina

Post by Malvina »

Alhamdullilah, I'm muslima and Quran is our best book. I've read half of it in my own language. It's the translation of meanings, I think it was the same which you read. (who mentioned about in english or other versions) Because there is written very valuable and difficult words to translate. We may understand it by our heart. Pitilliy, I don't know Arabic and I'm going to learn in future.
fatema

Post by fatema »

(red ros) ,, am sooo happy because u reading a quran ,, (quran) really a wonderful book ,, i dont say this because am amuslim but becase this book is realy amazing ,, am from arabic world , and if u need any thing to know about my culture i can help you :-) ,,, sorry because my english languge bad , but i try to learn.
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

sweets wrote:red rose
wonder why Arabian acient people could predict so many things!
red rose
arabian acient people did not predict this things but Allah inspire our Prophet Mohammed "Peace be upon him' and told him in many ways

sweetmaria

ANNA
so u tried to read form Quraan that's good do u know that read it in Rammdan gives u Handouts more than atherdays so try to finsh it in this rammdan inshalla

city young u back nice to see u againe how are u

and thanx for everyone Participated in this topic

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers to all ;-)

Good explanation sweets, I really admire your friendly relationship with all the EC family members. And offcourse QURAN is the holy book and reading it has good recompense/ rewards/Sawab.

Dear Maria,
Getting 18 or 19 to read Quran is not important, you can recite the holy Quran any time and try to recite it with sweet voice so you yourself would love your voice reciting it.

Thanks to the one who started this post. Be Happy :-)
MSIQ

Post by MSIQ »

QURAN is not a literature, it is holly words from God,,,Nobody is writes this sentences (ayats),this ayats was sent from Allah(God) to established peace and tranquility on the world,,,
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

Good Post MSIQ.
Quran is undoubtedly the holy book of Allah (SWT) and is really a good guidance for the people.
Coming to your point Shayni, It is better to understand the meaning of Quran, however you need to recite the actual words of Quran and then read the translation. If you are just reading the translation not the Quranic Words (Ayats, Surah etc) then that is not called RECITATION (TILAWAT). you will only get reward for the translation not the actual reward for Recitation. Because Quran is to be only recited in ARABIC language.
shakespear
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shakespear »

hi my friends..
one of my friends from Philippine wants to read quran but she can't read it in arabic and i hope to find quran in English to send it to her...i'm muslim and she is not muslim...i think she is christian but she likes to read about Islam specially she likes to read quran...i hope u can help me to find copy in English or a copy in the language of Philippine...
have nice moments
ElokFaiq

Post by ElokFaiq »

RedRose wrote:I wonder why Arabian acient people could predict so many things!
For me it's not those arabic ancients prediction, but more to God's power to control the space and time. That's why, many scientific discoveries nowadays are compatible with ayaah in quran that was written long time ago (dont know exactly, hehe). Because God know what will happen in the future as His existence is in the whole space and time. :)