Dead Man's Mirror by Agatha Christie

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Shally

Dead Man's Mirror by Agatha Christie

Post by Shally »

Hello :)

I am a student learning English. I am currently reading a book call Dead Man’s Mirrors by Agatha Christie.

I got stuck on two phrases and couldn't figure out the meaning. I will put down those two sentences and then ask questions in regards.

Two phrases: "equally famous actress" and "A well-known sprting peer”.

Content those two phrases being used:

He (M. Hercule Poirot, the detector) escaped from several important and splendid beings - a famous diplomat, an equally famous actress and a well-known sporting peer-and found at last the person he had come to see, that invariably "also present" guest, Mr. Satterthwaite.

"equally famous actress." Why he use equally here? What is Agatha trying to emphasis?

"A well-known sporting peer." How do you explain the meaning of “sporting” here?

I read this book already, without checking up vocabularies that I don’t know. I understand 30% of it :P. I am rereading the book and want to try to understand most of it. :) Will you be able to give me some guidance! Thank u!

Shally
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Dead Man's Mirror by Agatha Christie

Post by Arale »

Shally wrote: Two phrases: "equally famous actress" and "A well-known sprting peer”.

Content those two phrases being used:

He (M. Hercule Poirot, the detector) escaped from several important and splendid beings - a famous diplomat, an equally famous actress and a well-known sporting peer-and found at last the person he had come to see, that invariably "also present" guest, Mr. Satterthwaite.

"equally famous actress." Why he use equally here? What is Agatha trying to emphasis?
Agatha wanted to emphasize that M.Hercule was famous as being an actress as much as being a sporting peer.
Shally wrote: "A well-known sporting peer." How do you explain the meaning of “sporting” here?
Sporting here means frank, honest.

_Arale_
Nothing lasts forever...
Shally

Post by Shally »

Hey Arale!

Interesting!! :) Do you like Agatha? Have you read any of her book?

You understand them beyond their meaning.

I sought of understand where your explaination comes from. Agatha won't put there for no reason. She is using those three characters to give us an idea the kind of character M. Poirot carries. Is that right? I thought sporting peer can also mean an earl or a duke who is interested in or constantly engaged in sports?! I wasn't sure here in this content, what do you think?

Arale, what does "also present" mean here? Why use QUOTATION? Why say "also present", why not take them all away? Why it's important? Is that mean Mr. Satterthwaite always present with the crowd?

Thank you Arale!

Shally
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Hi Shally,

Actually, I haven't read the novel yet. And I know sometimes we have to read the whole novel to understand one sentence. So I'm not sure if sporting here means frank, honest or having interest in sports. What do you think? You read it already, didn't you?
I think there must have had something happened before this passage, so Agatha used 'also' here. He used the quotation mark to emphasize on the appearance of the guest- Mr. Satterthwaite. It's better if I read the novel but I haven't found any free link to read it online. Do you know any? :)

_Arale_
Nothing lasts forever...