dan brown

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Krisi, Vega, EC

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6341
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya

Post by Dixie » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:47 am

LennyeTran wrote:It's funny to me how they use those as their evidence.
LOL To me they do not have any evidence. They just want their share of the delicious cake Dan is tasting :D

I can't wait to see the movie!!

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:56 pm

Hi girls!
I have been trying to keep my opinion to myself because I basically dissagree with you but I didn't feel a need to say so...yet. I have to say something now.
Considering that the book authors of "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" have a perfect right to file suit on the grounds of plagerism, if their tome has been in fact plagerized...I have to go with these people.
I just put my self in the position of both parties.
If I have a future book including the copyright rights and responsibliities....I hope to have the same right to sue in such a case. If they have been ripped off they have rights like everyone else. I think that if they are envious of the fortune and fame is of no consequence....it does not even matter. They are saying he ripped them off in some ways...if this is so he should have to pay. If it is found to be untrue then he has the exact same rights to file a suit against them for damages to recover any lost fees and downtime (lost wages) for court appearances... lawyers fees and the like. at least he has the money to fight them if he is right. He can afford a decent lawyer unlike some of us....and I believe, that
Dan Brown did not have to use any particular names sothat he may have been in effect giving them and their publishers the finger, so to speak....if so he may have stuck it to himself, doing the book as he did insted of leaving out any connections to them without their prior permission. Thus... he has just made a grave mistake, and is being brought to justice....under copyright laws...because he did not honor the same protection he has on his own book....in my opinion. He is playing a game he should lose if he does not respect the work of other writers. That deserves to be combated.
If he is going to write he should follow the rules like anyone else. He may have asked for permission and they refused then he went ahead and did it anyway...we dont have all the details.

Well....I had to just say that under the first amendmant we have a right to free speech but under the copyright infringment laws we do not have a right to benefit (financially) from other persons works without permission.
Last point is there are about a hundred books (at the very least) about the illuminatti/ white brotherhood/ and secret societies...so they may have a hard time proving that he plagerized from their book and not someone elses so it must be very close....or exact even I think. and the anagram of the name ...well that may be impossible to prove...that there is any connection other than pure coincidence, unless hthese forces (people) were already engaged in some sort of battle or rivalry... so they will probably lose out there.

It is basically political ....something they need to fight out in court...proving thier case or losing and may the best man win.
Ethics are not something to smirk about though. If Dan B. did something un-ethical...let him pay for it I say.
That does not mean I cant appreciate his book or that he writes fairly well...just that he needs to pay the consequences for his mistakes, like everyone else.
Too bad sometimes money takes precidence over justice systems in this country...I am sick of people who have money doing anything they like and getting away with it. I think of Michael Jackson who most probably molested little boys (and got off) in more ways than one...and of OJ Simpson...who probably KILLED two people and did not have to serve time....much harsher examples but I think the person who disregards the rights of his neighbor and laughs at the laws meant to protect them...should be made to pay. Otherwise pure chaos might ensue...
anyway...my opinion.
I still liked Dan's book...but it was sort of redundant for me because I knew most of what he wrote about already.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:01 pm

I agree with your post, but one thing is, didn't Dan have a list of reference where he got the source from? I mean, he wasn't that careless, was he? :?

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:18 pm

:lol: Can you tell I finished my paralegal classes? Hahah-haah!
so happy that, that is over! I am doing internship at Van Nuys Couthouse....putting motions and lawsuits into files... for the last couple o days....first day I put four files...papers, in the wrong year! The wrong files entirely!
OMG I couldn't figure out how to fix the problem at first because i was so stressed out about what I had possibly done...then I couldn't decide if I should go tell or not....I could not at first because I was freaking out about it. I needed to come up with a remedy first...so I told first thing next morning and asked to remedy the situation....going through every file and finding the lost documents to put them in the right file number - the right year of the case, number.
Imagine if I had said oh well let them worry about it....what would have happened to those peoples cases?
Maybe the files would have been discovered in time to be put right by the persons whos case came up first and maybe not.
I did not want to be responsible for someones case being blown because I was not trained as to the importance of not making on mistake in filing/ because I was careless for five minutes. :roll:
I remembered the 7000's was where I had made the mistake and went through all 1000 files in a few hours. 2003 files were returned to thier proper spot and 2006 was back to normal, :oops: within a couple of hours....no sweat...except for all my stress for about six hours til I figured out what to do and how to do it. :?
peace everybody!
:wink: SO! do good works, & be a good person, and good things will come to you....even if it takes a very long time! (Llike in my case!) :P

My personal (made-up) quote of the day.
I may be a head case, but, at least my head is in a good place!

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:21 pm

A list of referance is no good without permission. All plagerism is...is not having gotten the proper authority from other authors when you use their wording. If he had asked for permission and they refused to give it this may be the problem.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:26 pm

tikay wrote:A list of referance is no good without permission. All plagerism is...is not having gotten the proper authority from other authors when you use their wording. If he had asked for permission and they refused to give it this may be the problem.
This is what I'm thinking, too. I don't think he wouldn't ask for their permission to use their work as a reference for his book. I mean, the guy should know better since he's a writer. And the wikipedia article said,

"In the book Brown also mentions Holy Blood, Holy Grail as an acclaimed international bestseller (chapter 60) and claims it as the major contributor to his hypothesis."

He did mention them and gave out the source. I wonder they're going for this case because their permission to him was verbal; therefore, they could say he never actually asked them for their permission? :? :?

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:16 pm

Dixie wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:I've watched a documentary about the DaVinci code, and they did mention something about the holy blood and the holy grail. That book came way before the da vinci code. That's why they said he's stealing their work. I'll check for this info again.
I downloaded a documentary about it not long ago. The authors of The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail talked about their book and The Da Vinci Code, and other authors as well. They didn't seem very happy with Brown's novel. I remember one of them talking about the postures of Christ and Mary Magdalene in Da Vinci's "The Last Supper" and saying something like "...which we first pointed out, not Mr. Brown".

I don't see what the fuss is all about anyway. I'm going to get The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail so I can figure out. I never thought both books could be compared. The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail is the result of an exhaustive research, whereas Brown's just a fictional novel based on that info.

I guess they also want their share of the cake :twisted:

They words above, that I have emboldened, is the part that I am commenting on...
I wanted to say something when I read it but I just laughed about them saying that, and moved on...but are they joking....FIRST? they did not first point out anything...the first book on the gnostic version of Christs life and teachings...and the first one on the secret societies will nearly be impossible to find for it happened so incredibly long, long ago...
Thr truths ~ these societies and the gnostics knew have been locked up a bit since Constantine called the mithric cults and the gnostics heretics and ostrasized them in effect causing these religions to go underground...becoming secret.
Still these things have been written about since writing began, the fact they say they are exposing this as if they are the first is ridiculous...the first was so long ago it cannot be known, who was first to write about Jesus and Mary magdaline....about thier possible love affair and marriage and such. The very fact that the teachings were not allowed to be discussed for fear of even death makes it impossible to know for sure what happened....until more inner work is done on the part of humans.
The average person seems to want to gather all their info from the experts...not relying on their own spirit of truth or on guides in spirit form to give them truths. We have a long way to go but I will suggest that sometimes, one just knows when a truth is felt...one just seeks within...and says that sounds right and I somehow KNOW that some things are just truth. In the same way I sometimes feel and know someone is lying...but I cant prove it.

Lastly about them claiming they were the first with the knowledge....well all I can say is SURE YOU WERE...in the way you tell something to a baby.
geez where did they get all their research done ...by studying which texts....people always seem to want credit for knowledge that is often so very....collective actually, for lack of a better word for it. They studied something to come up with the words strung across their pages did they not?
Now being first to tell becomes less important. Is it the truth to me? I believe in all truths...I believe that Jesus may have been wed to Mary in his heart and soul which to me is all that matters....if he had a sexual relationship with a woman...this would be a good way to experience the full nature of being human and a man of the earth ...right? I believe that he came here for this experience no? I would try to discover all facets for better comprehension if I were the man Jesus, including all things of which my brother partook , which includes a facet known as sexuality. Anyway sex was only made a sin by people trying to vie for power over the masses. The Bible has some literal truths and then it has some embellishments meant to suit a cxertain purpose.
Ask any theologian what they think...if they have studied even as I have they will tell you it is a possibility that Jesus was WITH Mary in a variety of devine ways. :wink:

LOVE to you all! :)

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:28 pm

"Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh, authors of "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail," sued Random House, which also published their book. Random House denies the claim.

Baigent and Leigh claim Brown appropriated their ideas and themes in writing his book, which has sold more than 25 million copies worldwide since its 2003 publication. "


This is from the Yahoo news link that I copied and pasted in page two. So, to me Brown had their permission to use their book as a source. Therefore, their lawyer said,

"Jonathan Rayner James, a lawyer for Baigent and Leigh, said the case did not relate to the theft of specific parts of text but to the appropriation of themes and ideas.

"Brown copied from 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' and therefore the publication of the resulting novel is an infringement of my clients' copyright," he told the court. "


They're suing him for extending their, as others called, pseudohistory idea about Jesus.

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:29 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
tikay wrote:A list of referance is no good without permission. All plagerism is...is not having gotten the proper authority from other authors when you use their wording. If he had asked for permission and they refused to give it this may be the problem.
This is what I'm thinking, too. I don't think he wouldn't ask for their permission to use their work as a reference for his book. I mean, the guy should know better since he's a writer. And the wikipedia article said,

"In the book Brown also mentions Holy Blood, Holy Grail as an acclaimed international bestseller (chapter 60) and claims it as the major contributor to his hypothesis."

He did mention them and gave out the source. I wonder they're going for this case because their permission to him was verbal; therefore, they could say he never actually asked them for their permission? :? :?

The very fact that the book is mentioned may be the problem with the publishers or authors of Holy Blood Holy Grail...if he did not have permission to use this even...in his referance to them he is making a mistake....unless they gave him the go ahead.

If they gave him the okay but are trying to sue now that would make them very wary~ to file a suit in this case, because they would be in comtempt of court if they are found out, and even verbal permission is a basic contract.
If he can prove a verbal agreement was made....well nearly impossible unless there were witnesses present...anyway it is not likely that they would sue in the case he had permission in any form. They would lose if there was any witness on either side saying they heard the plaintiff give permission... because of the subpheona process.
(Perhaps they would win if they had witnesses who would lie for them in court.)
I believe he has done certain things without using the proper channels but I could be wrong too.
Last edited by tikay on Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:39 pm

LennyeTran wrote:"Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh, authors of "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail," sued Random House, which also published their book. Random House denies the claim.

Baigent and Leigh claim Brown appropriated their ideas and themes in writing his book, which has sold more than 25 million copies worldwide since its 2003 publication. "


This is from the Yahoo news link that I copied and pasted in page two. So, to me Brown had their permission to use their book as a source. Therefore, their lawyer said,

"Jonathan Rayner James, a lawyer for Baigent and Leigh, said the case did not relate to the theft of specific parts of text but to the appropriation of themes and ideas."Brown copied from 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' and therefore the publication of the resulting novel is an infringement of my clients' copyright," he told the court. "

They're suing him for extending their, as others called, pseudohistory idea about Jesus.




Okay now we are getting somewhere!
This is utterly ridiculous! They cant sue for such a thing because they have no monopoly on thoughts.... and on all other histories of such thoughts....the books they studied to get their notions about this? The so called "pseudo" history is not theirs alone...it belongs to every living being, they merely wrote a book on the subject after many had already been written on such things....just look up the subject in amazon.com and you will be led to hundreds of books... for crying out loud! Are they trying to say no one ever thought of the theory before. GOODNESS....they are the fools then. Let them waste their time in court because Dan will just win, and be assured he will win if this is why they are suing. They would have to prove the impossible that no one even considered these things, before their book was written....fat chance there.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:45 pm

tikay wrote: Okay now we are getting somewhere!
This is utterly ridiculous! They cant sue for such a thing because they have no monopoly on thoughts.... and on all other histories of such thoughts....the books they studied to get their notions about this? The so called "pseudo" history is not theirs alone...it belongs to every living being, they merely wrote a book on the subject after many had already been written on such things....just look up the subject in amazon.com and you will be led to hundreds of books... for crying out loud! Are they trying to say no one ever thought of the theory before. GOODNESS....they are the fools then. Let them waste their time in court because Dan will just win, and be assured he will win if this is why they are suing. They would have to prove the impossible that no one even considered these things, before their book was written....fat chance there.
Exactly! And this is the reason why Dixie said they wanted their share of the cake. :wink: What a system for ya, people just sue anything that moves. How sad....

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:57 pm

Well it all makes sense in a way...they want to assume credit and apparently think they can get over on a judge ...that they came up with an ancient idea :lol: whatever ! They are probably just ... in for a rude awakening, and they will have to pay Dan insted of being payed by Dan...good for them. Dan Brown is actually going to get more credit for an old idea because of these people ...Ironic isn't it. He will be more in the limelight and now, even more people are going to read his book! :lol: (which is a good thing!)
Last edited by tikay on Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:00 pm

Now I'm just afraid that they would withdraw what they said about Dan not stealing their source, you know. If they said Dan never asked their permission or they never granted theirs, then Dan could be in big trouble. Don't you think? :?

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:39 pm

LennyeTran wrote:Now I'm just afraid that they would withdraw what they said about Dan not stealing their source, you know. If they said Dan never asked their permission or they never granted theirs, then Dan could be in big trouble. Don't you think? :?

I was watching something last night on the gnostic depiction of the life of Christ....and the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail, will need to sue them too ... :D They cant go around suing every single person or enterprise who has a similar message can they?...it is just bizarre.
I think they have gone one step further than they meant to with the suit maybe...and they are now grasping at straws to figure a way to get some of Dan Browns money.
I cant believe that he is in any real trouble now that I hear why they are suing him.
If a person rises to sucess they are far more apt to be sued by all sorts of people. The key is to have on call ...your own good representation...your very own smart attorneys, helping you keep the money you have acquired, and to do things in a lawful manner pretty much at all times - just to keep from being sued by those who want a bit of your pie.

You either have to live in near-total poverty... or risk being sued by people...it seems, and that is sad!

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:49 pm

Uh huh, that's why I think it is so funny that in the Simpsons there is a short clip about Lionel Hutz and his moral sense. I think this is the clip,

(After Marge is acquitted of shoplifting)
Bart: When I grow up, I want to be a lawyer just like you.
Hutz: Good for you, son. If there's one thing America needs, it's more lawyers. Can you imagine a world without lawyers?
(Hutz imagines people of diverse ethnicities dancing in a circle in a lush, sunny landscape and shudders)
(copied wikipedia)

Gosh, I had a stomache for laughing out loud so much. This is so true and sad about America and any democratic countries in the world.

ahmads
Platinum Member
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: jordan
Contact:

Post by ahmads » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:40 pm

This is the first time I participate here in this section,,
actualy I don't like reading very much ..from books
I read about history and technology and about biology .
But I want to read this book ,,I have searched for it to buy it in libraries but :cry: :cry: Don't ask me why?? :cry:
yesterday I downloaded it from internet ,,Arabic edition ..
I just know the main Idea ... but it is very big .

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:44 pm

ahmads wrote:This is the first time I participate here in this section,,
actualy I don't like reading very much ..from books
I read about history and technology and about biology .
But I want to read this book ,,I have searched for it to buy it in libraries but :cry: :cry: Don't ask me why?? :cry:
yesterday I downloaded it from internet ,,Arabic edition ..
I just know the main Idea ... but it is very big .
I have this book in English online. If you wanna read it in English, I can send it to your email.

ahmads
Platinum Member
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: jordan
Contact:

Post by ahmads » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:46 am

LennyeTran wrote: I have this book in English online. If you wanna read it in English, I can send it to your email.
It will be very nice from you
My email :ahss2010@hotmail.com or
ahss2010@yahoo.com
I have one rose for you :D :lol:

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:21 pm

ahmads wrote: It will be very nice from you
My email :ahss2010@hotmail.com or
ahss2010@yahoo.com
I have one rose for you :D :lol:
Okay, the file is already sent.

ahmads
Platinum Member
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: jordan
Contact:

Post by ahmads » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:36 am

LennyeTran wrote:
ahmads wrote: It will be very nice from you
My email :ahss2010@hotmail.com or
ahss2010@yahoo.com
I have one rose for you :D :lol:
Okay, the file is already sent.
Thank you ,,I've received it :D

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:03 pm

oh ahmed! you can do it...ya got big brains ! :lol:

ahmads
Platinum Member
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: jordan
Contact:

Post by ahmads » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:52 am

tikay wrote:oh ahmed! you can do it...ya got big brains ! :lol:
oh my god !!! I'm a genius man.
actualy I found it interesting ,,
but I don't have enough time to read...I try

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:09 pm

I think it is hard to read a book on the computer and it must be hard on the eyes because we spend too much time on the computer already...here in the English clib! I will try to send you the book when my sister is done ...she is haveing a hard time getting through it too though!
Oh wonder how much it is to mail to you....so ar away! Once I was going to send three books to Japan and they wanted me to pay 17.00 dollars or something and that was like fifteen years ago...i kept those books for myself when they told me the cost :oops: ...poor Yuji never got his gifts!
He lived in Chiba...he was hitch-hiking in Hawaii and he needed a place to stay for the duration of his holiday so I rented him my guest room....needless to say I became his tour-guide and then his friend....my boys were little and we toured all the local beaches with YUJI....(Yokukura).
He liked to read about John F.Kennedy. He was into the conspiracy theory of the killing of this very popular American president.

ahmads
Platinum Member
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: jordan
Contact:

Post by ahmads » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:18 pm

tikay wrote:I think it is hard to read a book on the computer and it must be hard on the eyes because we spend too much time on the computer already...here in the English clib! I will try to send you the book when my sister is done ...she is haveing
Thank you Tikey ..It is very nice from you..
But The problem is:
This book isn't allowed to publishing in Jordan ,,I think Christian here in Jordan have protested
.
and If I receive this book I will face bad problems :? :?
maybe maybe I am not sure :lol:

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:45 am

well that is it then the decision is made i cannot put you in jepardy my friend even if it is a good price at the post office! :lol:
I will have to give it to someone who won't be risking so much to read it!

hereiam
Gold Member
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:30 am
Location: Poland

hello:)

Post by hereiam » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:10 am

I have started to read this plot cause as I can see it is a talk of the world. Both the book and the comming movie as well as court case. You know - I have a point to rethink for people who believe passionatelly that this book MIGHT be real - why don't you believe into the stories about Jesus that are in Bible (for example)?
You can also read online versions of Gospel and these books say quite different things about lot of things you have been writing here according to Dan Brown version (and not only his - what worse - cause he has a court case about copyrights to this book)
I am catholic who probably will never even read this book. Because I don't like sensational books based on religion. I think generally more eveil comes from such books than any use. And I have to say in that place that catholics are very civilised people compared to muslim believers who would give the author of such a book a death sentence and burn some embassays again.
but what I would like to finish with is that it is much harder probably to believe in Gospel than to believe in Dan Brown book.
Becasue simply much easier is to choose shorter way than a longer way - whatever it means.
Thanks for reading,
hereiam

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6341
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya

Re: hello:)

Post by Dixie » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:02 am

hereiam wrote:I have started to read this plot cause as I can see it is a talk of the world. Both the book and the comming movie as well as court case. You know - I have a point to rethink for people who believe passionatelly that this book MIGHT be real - why don't you believe into the stories about Jesus that are in Bible (for example)?
You can also read online versions of Gospel and these books say quite different things about lot of things you have been writing here according to Dan Brown version (and not only his - what worse - cause he has a court case about copyrights to this book)
I am catholic who probably will never even read this book. Because I don't like sensational books based on religion. I think generally more eveil comes from such books than any use. And I have to say in that place that catholics are very civilised people compared to muslim believers who would give the author of such a book a death sentence and burn some embassays again.
but what I would like to finish with is that it is much harder probably to believe in Gospel than to believe in Dan Brown book.
Becasue simply much easier is to choose shorter way than a longer way - whatever it means.
Thanks for reading,
hereiam
I strongly recommend that you read the novel, Hereiam. It's really, really beautiful. I have read it twice and it's now one of my favorite. You say you're a catholic and I guess a strong believer in religion, but if you've got an open mind you'll have no problem with the book. If you like mystery and adventure you'll get that too.

hereiam
Gold Member
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:30 am
Location: Poland

hello Dixie:)

Post by hereiam » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:33 pm

Well... Dan Brown is someone you can "meet" on-line. As I can see he is a very intelligent and well-to-do man in his 50ties (probably) who can afford travelling the world to write the next bestseller.
You can read a bit below:
http://www.danbrown.com/meet_dan/index.html
Why should I believe him - not other people?
His bestselling book - surely - must be brilliant enough to be sold in 50 million copies worldwide but I know lot of other the same way inspiring stories that will never be so successfull because they arenot meant to be sold or bought.
So - don't understand me badly Dixie - some great painters died in total poverty and people reminded over them even 100 years later to recognize them as important and valid. When they were valid and innovative of course.
Dan Brown - for me - is a son of professor who was smart enough to use his numerous connections and inborn intelect to be successful writer during his lifetime. As deals the values he wants to give to me in his books - are there any?
Jane Austin presents a good picture/a perfect picture of her times. She gives a portrait of society. What presents Dan brown? Well written sensation?
Well... I have some other mysterious things to think about.
Much more positive than Dan Brown's one I hope.
:)

User avatar
Tora
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 pm
Status: Other
Location: Moscow

Post by Tora » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:32 pm

I read it long time ago!
it was a success
i must confess!

The real sensation and i
do not regret
the time i spend

reading, i wasn't yawning, it was breath-taking and i adored it! Hmm... what to add here...
Yes, i hardy believe it, but i want to... believe! :wink:

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:08 pm

Let me go ahead and just say what i am thinking to possibly help some people to understand the popularity of truth....the dan brown book is not that great because of the author dears...there are far better writers about...what is exceptional is that this subjects time has come...just as it is stated in the novel based on Spiritual christian Truths...you see it is not Dan who is being really applauded here, it is the subject he has chosen to write about, which is the ancient tradition of the search for the holy grail and the arc of the covenant.

If you think that there is some evil force of magic surrounding the story book, that will reach out and touch you with its angry claws, you are being far too superstitious which is what is wrong with religious teachings. Most all religious text are based on the wishes of the human and this is why they fail.

The bible was written by man~ honey about a man of GOD as we all are... and with the political structure of those times in mind, in particular ... believe me! The Bible was meant for the times...and it is lovely but it is far too mis-understood today.

Even the BIBLES vast popularity could not have been expected by those who wrote their words and pressed ancient chiseled instrument to stone tablet. :?

What the world needs is to stop the mass hypnosis that has been prompted by the Bible less studied followers who blindly follow like the flock of sheep follow the Shepard....
My personal JESUS moved forward with the times, and embraces all people ....
regardless of their lack of feeling for their human kin based upon out-dated thinking.


We need new mythologies that are, as good as, the old ones... and if no one is ever going to educate themselves in religeons and take the pen up as a sword against the poverty of the closed mind well, then let the demons of ignorance have you.
Jesus is sick and tired of everyones lack of imagination and I know this because HE AND ME...we are buddys...we talk all the time.
I talk to ALL the GODS... you see I love and believe in EVERY ONE OF THEM....we must bless them into being real, as co-creators in our very own lives, as Jesus told us to do before anyone ever wrote anything it is written on our hearts by our conciousness.

The Gnostic teachings are written on in hundreds of books....Dan just added a few new words to a very very old written work. the man got his information elsewhere. Indiana Jones is a movie about the arc as well and no one thinks the writer of this movie is the anti-crist....they think that I am. :lol:

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:40 am


User avatar
illusion
Platinum Member
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:59 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Poland

Re: hello:)

Post by illusion » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:32 am

Dixie wrote:
hereiam wrote:I have started to read this plot cause as I can see it is a talk of the world. Both the book and the comming movie as well as court case. You know - I have a point to rethink for people who believe passionatelly that this book MIGHT be real - why don't you believe into the stories about Jesus that are in Bible (for example)?
You can also read online versions of Gospel and these books say quite different things about lot of things you have been writing here according to Dan Brown version (and not only his - what worse - cause he has a court case about copyrights to this book)
I am catholic who probably will never even read this book. Because I don't like sensational books based on religion. I think generally more eveil comes from such books than any use. And I have to say in that place that catholics are very civilised people compared to muslim believers who would give the author of such a book a death sentence and burn some embassays again.
but what I would like to finish with is that it is much harder probably to believe in Gospel than to believe in Dan Brown book.
Becasue simply much easier is to choose shorter way than a longer way - whatever it means.
Thanks for reading,
hereiam
I strongly recommend that you read the novel, Hereiam. It's really, really beautiful. I have read it twice and it's now one of my favorite. You say you're a catholic and I guess a strong believer in religion, but if you've got an open mind you'll have no problem with the book. If you like mystery and adventure you'll get that too.
I'm a catholic too but the book doesn't offence me in any way I guess it's a matter of attitude. :-) Now all I wanna do is watch the da vinci code-the movie!!!!!!!

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:34 pm

So has anyone seen this movie yet?
Is it great?

User avatar
Tora
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 pm
Status: Other
Location: Moscow

Post by Tora » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:36 am

tikay wrote:So has anyone seen this movie yet?
Is it great?
In russia it's going to be released ONLY in late may... 18th i guess... :(

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6341
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya

Post by Dixie » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:11 am

tikay wrote:So has anyone seen this movie yet?
Is it great?
It's gonna be released on May 19 everywhere! :D

User avatar
Tora
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 pm
Status: Other
Location: Moscow

Post by Tora » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:00 pm

Dixie wrote:
tikay wrote:So has anyone seen this movie yet?
Is it great?
It's gonna be released on May 19 everywhere! :D
russia is a part of global civilization! finally!
yes i was mistaken of 19th of may! :oops: i will watch it! :!:

AYBAYRAKTAR
Silver Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:58 pm
Status: Other
Location: Turkiye
Contact:

vaww..

Post by AYBAYRAKTAR » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:57 pm

The Da Vinci Code..
Angels and Demons..
Etcetra..

Dan BROWN is great... he is very wel at writing.. And almost everything is realistic, even not all..

There are so many true events and incidents.. When you read about the Christian and Roman Church History in an objective manner, you will see lots of things that are tragic but true and in The Da Vinci Code..

I learned some things that I have never heard before from Dan BROWN.. He is one of the best writers that are alive..


But, its movie was not as good as the book.. Certainly, there would be some changes between the book and the movie.. And of course, the movie couldn't give the book completely.. But this movie is not even as good as other movies derived from books..

Sincerely..
Good-bye..

AYBAYRAKTAR
Silver Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:58 pm
Status: Other
Location: Turkiye
Contact:

Post by AYBAYRAKTAR » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:06 pm

Dan BROWN is very good at writing and ı love his books..
Those come to me realistic..And I am also a realist person.


Yes, the last part of The Da Vinci Code could be finished suitable for its writing aim..

But, again, they were very good..

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:33 pm

I saw the movie & I was a bit dissappointed, as, I thought that I would be.
See, I had expected it to be better than the book somehow, because you know, how your mind can have these subtle impressions of a character in a book and the facial features are sort of there in your imagination but not completely fixated?

I wanted to have the movie fill in those blanks better, which it did adding a face to the characters of the book, but maybe my faces were preferable, you know? And,the movie did nothing really very creative! And nothing much out of the ordinary...which could have really helped the movie, there could have been more intimate looks or something between the two main characters as they began to fall for one another too!
Well the movie for me just, stuck so closely to the actual wording, used in the text, that I sort of felt as if i had already seen the movie, did you feel that too? I mean just from reading the book, it was like watching the movie a second time.

When they do Angels and Deamons, I hope they get a little bit more creative!
If they undertake that book...as a movie also.
I have only begun that book and then gave it to my sister. I will get myself another one, one day.
Or better, now, I'll just wait for the movie since it will probably be the same modus operandi...I rather like the more researched and factual Gnostic studies more than Dan's stuff.
Basically if I were toreview that movie it (my opinion) would not be very great.
Well when I was reading it i thought so many times this is like watching a movie...his style of presenting the story was movie-like so when the movie was exactly like the book, I was not too surprized. The ending could have been more touching and sweeter yes, I sooo agree on that!

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6341
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya

Post by Dixie » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:53 pm

Is there gonna be a movie on Angels and Demons??

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:27 pm

Your kidding me Dixie :D
I just figure they will , considering the millions they (producers) rake in ($$$$$$) on every "moving picture" produced.
After the popularity of this one, why would'nt they go for it?
:wink:

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6341
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya

Post by Dixie » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:35 pm

I hope they do, I loved the novel :D

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:49 am

well, I am going to have to borrow it back from my sister! (and make time to read it now)

RCG
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:29 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Da Vinci Code

Post by RCG » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:22 pm

How is this book???
Is interesting??
Tell me please...

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6341
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya

Post by Dixie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:02 am

Oh, we had some threads about the book last year. What can I say? I loved the book. I have read it three times, I own two versions, the "normal" novel version and an illustrated version -quite interesting. Have seen the movie three times although I don't think it's comparable to the book.

RCG
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:29 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Post by RCG » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:26 pm

Hi... why do you like so much???

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6341
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya

Post by Dixie » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:33 pm

RCG wrote:Hi... why do you like so much???
Can't explain. Why don't you try to read it? ;)

RCG
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:29 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Post by RCG » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:22 pm

Actually... I will go to read...
Thank you... Sorry for my english... :)

User avatar
Miss. Ladybird
Gold Member
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: Middle East
Contact:

Post by Miss. Ladybird » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:11 pm

Dixie wrote:Oh, we had some threads about the book last year. What can I say? I loved the book. I have read it three times, I own two versions, the "normal" novel version and an illustrated version -quite interesting. Have seen the movie three times although I don't think it's comparable to the book.
A friend of mine said the same thing too! I bought the book last year and it's still on my bookshelf. After reading your post, I think I'll clean the dust over it and start reading. :idea:

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6341
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya

Post by Dixie » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:17 pm

Miss. Ladybird wrote: A friend of mine said the same thing too! I bought the book last year and it's still on my bookshelf. After reading your post, I think I'll clean the dust over it and start reading. :idea:
I'm sure than once you start reading, you won't be able to stop until you finish! The first time I read it in two days. I couldn't leave it! :D

medattes
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:04 pm
Location: 868, inara bloc 23

Post by medattes » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:39 pm

don't you guys have a site where to download its electronic version. I didn't find it in the libraries nearby.

User avatar
Snowy*
Silver Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:18 am

Have any body read novel " Dafenshy Code"?

Post by Snowy* » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:01 pm

Have any body read novel " Dafenshy Code"?

It's horrible .. I liked it but I got headache ..
His opinion about christian is very strange ..

I have a question for christians ..
Are all christians believe about what did he write??

That's mean ..
Is he talk about only his opinion or about all christians opinion's ??

Do any body understand what i mean??
Ihope so.....

doxology
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:47 am
Status: English Learner
Location: England

Post by doxology » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:13 pm

I heard about it , but unfortunately idont read it

i think it's much intersting


hope to read it soon

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:29 am

Are you talking about the Da Vinci Code? If yes, please visit here,

http://www.englishclub.com/esl-forums/v ... hp?t=44531
http://www.englishclub.com/esl-forums/v ... hp?t=33413

This topic is now locked.

ladyRowena
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:43 am
Status: English Learner

da vinci code

Post by ladyRowena » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:56 am

oh!I had to stayed up late at night to read this book because It's very attractive.
Dan Brown,how intelligent you are!

Melek
Gold Member
Posts: 309
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:28 am
Status: English Learner
Location: AZERBAIJAN,BAKU city

Post by Melek » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:06 am

medattes wrote:don't you guys have a site where to download its electronic version. I didn't find it in the libraries nearby.
here is a link foru,an electronic version of The Da Vinchi Code..good luck!)

http://www.lib.ru/INPROZ/BRAUN_D/dawinchi_engl.txt

nightwish
Silver Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:00 am
Location: Venus

Post by nightwish » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:18 pm

yeah it's a readable book and so interesting.

User avatar
Krisi
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 4133
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner

Post by Krisi » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:45 am

:) :arrow: The book is interesting and purely for entertainment. The author is so good and I felt as if my mind was following a fast flowing river.

User avatar
daizy
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:53 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: cairo, Egypt

Post by daizy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:22 am

thank you very much Melek, i was looking for this novel,
you really helped me. :D

Melek
Gold Member
Posts: 309
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:28 am
Status: English Learner
Location: AZERBAIJAN,BAKU city

Post by Melek » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:48 am

daizy wrote:thank you very much Melek, i was looking for this novel,
you really helped me. :D

welcome)

User avatar
CityYoung
Gold Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: UnderTheTree

Post by CityYoung » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:16 am

I have it , but I haven't read it yet . maybe after Dixie' words i should start reasing it .

User avatar
Aux
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:31 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Da vince code

Post by Aux » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:22 pm

I Maria from Costa Rica, also read the book and charmed with it

Qoo
Silver Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:19 am
Status: English Learner
Location: Thailand

Post by Qoo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:11 am

Information about Jesus, religion and history are so exciting , but I disappoint about its storyline :( .
It's look like grade b movie

sanjadz
Gold Member
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:04 pm
Location: Serbia

Post by sanjadz » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:53 pm

The book has been on my shelf for some time,but I have to admit that I haven't read it yet because I have been reading some other books lately.Most people say it's a good book, so I will make sure that I read it.

User avatar
Annaa
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1801
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:15 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: dan brown

Post by Annaa » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:32 pm

I like a lot Dan Brown`s book ''The Da Vinci Code'' :-D .
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..

miminguyen
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:38 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: dan brown

Post by miminguyen » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:35 pm

they attracted me at the first pages.Well, so wonderful, my heart jumpedddddd during the time i read it that's really a great book, and DAn is really a great man {-;

User avatar
Koala
Silver Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:13 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Vietnam
Contact:

Re: dan brown

Post by Koala » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:03 pm

I've read his "Da Vince Code". That was great to know about Jesu Christ, Mary Mandeline, religious symbols,anagram code,legend & trust... But he made the beginning too long and slow and some situation was too simple to guess what was going to happen next. By the way, the ending was great !

User avatar
bacteria
Silver Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:00 am
Status: English Learner
Location: DREAM ISLAND
Contact:

Re: dan brown

Post by bacteria » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:00 am

he is one of the most intelligent I've read. He has a discipline mind and a big knowledge background about art! My friend said that "The Angles and Demons" is better than "The Da Vinci Code" I read! I will find that
We are all born for love...

Post Reply