books ain't worth readin

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

books ain't worth readin

Post by illusion »

hey. have any of you read a dead boring book that couldn't be bothered to fnish it? I bet there's loads of us.. so which books do you particualry dislike?
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

the most boring book i've ever read is "contraban" by josep pla. he is a catalan author and he is very well-known here so i was ashamed i dislike him so much hehe. at least i'm not the only one that thinks he's boring!
serenella
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by serenella »

'Heart of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad.
I guess that many of you like it, but I think it's too sad and pessimistic and it' so slow...
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

serenella wrote:'Heart of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad.
I guess that many of you like it, but I think it's too sad and pessimistic and it' so slow...
yeah 'Heart of the Darkness'' would be my choice as well. I couldn't believe when I found out that Joseph Condrad in fact was a polish writer who wrote in english....
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

trinity19 wrote:the most boring book i've ever read is "contraban" by josep pla. he is a catalan author and he is very well-known here so i was ashamed i dislike him so much hehe. at least i'm not the only one that thinks he's boring!
Shame on you!!!! :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :D

I've never read anything by him so I can't judge anyway :D

Shame on me!!!!!!!!!!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I had to read it in college, and couldn't finish it. I found it soooooooooo dead boring!

Right now I am reading a book called The villa of mysteries, by David Hewson (had never heard about him before). I started reading the book eagerly, but it has disappointed me. I am trying to finish it because there are just about 90 pages left but it's becoming such a hard task! I find that book so boring... I am forcing myself to read, and that's not good, but I just want to finish it.

Oh, other novels I couldn't finish was Price and Prejudice by Jane Austen and master Dickens's Great Expectations :!: :!: I am really embarrassed to recognize that, but I found them boring as well :roll: I guess I should re-start them again and with more passion, it's so sad for an English philologist not to like those great English classics :roll:
pob
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pob »

James, William. Pragmatism: A New Name for Some Old Ways of Thinking. 1907

I guess if this book can be interesting for anyone (in the XXI century)... I think even those studying philosophy would become bored to death after reading this book.
Goronman

Post by Goronman »

Personally, I tried to finish Italian tales by Henry James but I can't help falling asleep each time I read it :? His style is so horrible and nothing never happens :!:

Bye
Goronman
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Goronman wrote:Personally, I tried to finish Italian tales by Henry James but I can't help falling asleep each time I read it :? His style is so horrible and nothing never happens :!:
I never heard about that title by H. James. I've got The Portrait of a Lady and I found it dull as well, but I guess that's because I forced myself to read it. I like having important classics in my personal library and of course to be familiar with them, and that's why I read those novels, but sometimes I just can't help it; forcing oneself to read is really hard work :roll:
serenella
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by serenella »

And what about Joyce's Ulysses?
I like it very much, it's a great work, but many people list it among boring books...
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

serenella wrote:And what about Joyce's Ulysses?
I like it very much, it's a great work, but many people list it among boring books...
Wanted to mention it but I forgot :D That's one of the hardest books to read!
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

Dixie wrote:
I had to read it in college, and couldn't finish it. I found it soooooooooo dead boring!

Right now I am reading a book called The villa of mysteries, by David Hewson (had never heard about him before). I started reading the book eagerly, but it has disappointed me. I am trying to finish it because there are just about 90 pages left but it's becoming such a hard task! I find that book so boring... I am forcing myself to read, and that's not good, but I just want to finish it.

Oh, other novels I couldn't finish was Price and Prejudice by Jane Austen and master Dickens's Great Expectations :!: :!: I am really embarrassed to recognize that, but I found them boring as well :roll: I guess I should re-start them again and with more passion, it's so sad for an English philologist not to like those great English classics :roll:

hehehe yeah Dixie, shame on you! :P In fact Great Expectations were sheer boredom but Pride and prejudice I enjoyed very much if not very very very much especially Mr. Darcy.... ahhhhhhhhhhh he was yummy :)
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

illusion wrote: hehehe yeah Dixie, shame on you! :P In fact Great Expectations were sheer boredom but Pride and prejudice I enjoyed very much if not very very very much especially Mr. Darcy.... ahhhhhhhhhhh he was yummy :)
Yes, I will start it anew and enjoy it. I know such a popular and well-known novel cannot be that dull, it's my fault.
Pixie

Post by Pixie »

" L'écume des jours ". Unenjoyable reading, unattractive book, bullshits again and again. Pointless story, shi* characters. To sum up, shi* book.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: books ain't worth readin

Post by Dixie »

The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz. Being a fan of Stieg Larson's Millennium trilogy, I was eager to read this book. I couldn't have been more disappointed. Decaffeinated versions of Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist, too many irrelevant characters and a pointless story. Never again.
rozafoe

Post by rozafoe »

I think that all of books are worth reading, because they make you smarter and more intelligent. Like I said all of books are worth reading, but some of them are boring. One week ago I finished reading "Hobbit". It took me two months to read it! The story is uninteresting and slow. It is also impossible. This book is about a hobbit, who has a mission to complete. During his journey he stuggles with difficulties and fight with monsters. It is impossible! I don't like this kind of books, but in my opinion it makes me a little bit smarter. In the future I will choose books which tell you about real life. RF.
AshAnatomy

Post by AshAnatomy »

Divergent and The Hunger Games. In my personal opinion, they both are boring and plain.
zintap

Post by zintap »

I think every week book worth reading
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.