How old were you when you first tried to learn how to read?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:09 pm

maryann wrote:By the way, how old were you when you read a novel for the first time? ;)

When I was 11.

illusion
Platinum Member

Re: How old were you when you first tried to learn how to re

Postby illusion » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:54 pm

LennyeTran wrote:I tried it when I was four.

Me too and I remember that it didn't last too long as I was able to read quite soon. I have always loved books. When I was little I would sleep with them in my bed and then read after waking up :)

Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Re: How old were you when you first tried to learn how to re

Postby Dixie » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:03 pm

illusion wrote:Me too and I remember that it didn't last too long as I was able to read quite soon. I have always loved books. When I was little I would sleep with them in my bed and then read after waking up :)

I used to do that, too!!!

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:19 am

So did I. I used to carry the English children textbook my sister had around the house. Late at night, I would ask my uncle to read it to me. I never got tired of it since I was amazed by the strange sounds my uncle made.

I still go to sleep with books on my bed, by the way. :oops:

jakeson

Postby jakeson » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:31 pm

Lemme think...hmm, I guess, I was four when I started reading, at least, the ABCs. I can clearly recall I started reading encyclopedia when I was still 9. That was 19 years ago! :D

maryann

Postby maryann » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:25 am

I read the first novel when I were 9. That novel was "Uncle Tom's cabin" (in vietnamese, of course)by Harriet Beecher Stowe. I cried so much during the time I read it.

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:40 am

maryann wrote:I read the first novel when I were 9. That novel was "Uncle Tom's cabin" (in vietnamese, of course)by Harriet Beecher Stowe. I cried so much during the time I read it.

A classic in American Literature. I have never read it though (YET!!!)

Oriani
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007

Postby Oriani » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:15 pm

Well.. My dad began to teach me how to read Spanish at 4 and at the age of 7 I already knew how to read Spanish and English( I'm still studying for this last langauge)!! And novel?? a Venezuelan one called " Doña Barbara" at age of 10!! I've learned plenty of vocabulary reading.. That gives you food for thought :P

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Tora » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:26 pm

maryann wrote:I read the first novel when I were 9. That novel was "Uncle Tom's cabin" (in vietnamese, of course)by Harriet Beecher Stowe. I cried so much during the time I read it.

I also read it during my young years! A very nice beginning of reading! I don't remember me crying, but I recollect in my mind I liked it :roll:

wanzhen

Postby wanzhen » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:56 am

I went to school when I was 5.Maybe the next year,I began to read some fables or small stories.And reading becomes to one of my favorite hobbies from that time.But in that period I have few books to read except my school books.So my most reading books were borrowed from other people....

Although I have few books but I read much more than other people.

TearHere
Gold Member

Postby TearHere » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:47 am

i guess i started reading when i was 4. mama's a librarian, so she would bring me to her office and let me read books.. she would always give me literature for children kinds of books as it had pictures on it.. and so it was more interesting to read ..

zaman
Gold Member

Postby zaman » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:10 pm

the first time i tried reading it was when i was three years old that is the first time i go to the mosque to learn al-quran

samoo

Postby samoo » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:34 pm

I'm not sure but I think I started reading since i was 5 year old .. I use to read a lot but now because I am to much busy i couldn't read a lot
when I open any book I can only read few line .. The funny thing I keep buying all kind of book as if I will read it.. looool maybe I will do it in the future ..who knows ?

cuongviet

Postby cuongviet » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:55 am

Yes I know how to read at the age of 7. Actually, I never read decently until 19 years old. When I was a child I was very lazy to read. But when I got into university, The study method had to change to catch up with my friends. I had to be self-study alot. :oops:

Nu
Silver Member

Postby Nu » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:24 pm

I remember I started to read really early... an' the first book was Anjelika ) may be, u know... there is a very popular film based on this novel... at first my parents thought i just pretented to read but when they realized ))) ooh, they were astonished )

Annaa
Rough Diamond Member

Re: How old were you when you first tried to learn how to read?

Postby Annaa » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:12 am

4 or 5
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..

Return to “Books & Authors”