"Jane Eyre"

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

"Jane Eyre"

Postby LadyMacbeth » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:21 pm

Hi again:)

I hope you all are very happy to read me again after a long, long break:)

Well... today I have finished to read READER LEVEL 2 about the story of Jane Eyre.

Have you also read this book?

What do you think about Jane Eyre? Wasn't she dangerously in love at the end of this book?

But did she have any dignity that she wanted to marry a man who was a bigamist in fact and then he became a crippled person.

All in all she was a rich woman and could do whatever she wanted.

Your ideas?
:)

Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Dixie » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:23 pm

I read it in college, about 7 years ago. I think I should read it again and try to find the symbolism by myself though, since I can hardly remember...

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:24 pm

The book is nice although Jane did seem lost to me.

LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

hello Dixie and Lennie,

Postby LadyMacbeth » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:28 pm

Symbolism of Jane Eyre? Well... it sounds higly interesting... . However I think she really could find someone ...more interesting than Mr Rochester who didn't tell her that the kid whom she tutored was his own:( What a pitiful guy!:(
:roll: :roll: :roll:
But of course it is only my humble opinion.

Well girls. Nice to meet you again. Don't cut me too often, please:)

LM

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:32 pm

There are not many men the author gave for Jane. Maybe she's trying to say it's the same with life. Either you end up with a religious and conservative or a half-assed liar. Pick your choice.

LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

dear Lennye,

Postby LadyMacbeth » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:44 pm

Well... it is difficult to say how many boy friends Jane Eyre could have if she didn't fall into love with Mr Rochester.

In my simplified version I read she had a cousin who pulled her hair and thus she left home and started to learn to be a teacher in future. She didn't have parents. Another cousin of her was a clergyman - it wasn't written there if he was better towards her than her first cousin who made her leaving home.

You know - in such books like "Jane Eyre" everything is about money or beauty. She had been simply too poor to be Rocherster's wife before she got a will after her lonely, rich uncle. Then Rochester's bad wife died and they could marry.

But was she wise marrying this Rochester? It was written he was almost blind.
:(

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Re: dear Lennye,

Postby MissLT » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:47 pm

LadyMacbeth wrote:In my simplified version I read she had a cousin who pulled her hair and thus she left home and started to learn to be a teacher in future. She didn't have parents. Another cousin of her was a clergyman - it wasn't written there if he was better towards her than her first cousin who made her leaving home.
:(

I hate this part, too. This guy is selfish. Submission to God blah blah blah. He wanted her as a wife, so he could have someone to take care of him while he went on his mission serving for God. :roll:

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:27 pm

I don't remember about the symbolism in the novel, but I do remember about the dichotomies the professor pointed out:

1) Jane / Rochester's wife. Jane was portrayed like an angel, or what was known as "an angel in the house". Mr. Rochester's wife (I forgot her name) is known as Jane's opposite. There's a book about this character called The Madwoman in the Attic (can't remember its author).

2) Jane's name: Eyre. It is pronounced like "air", "heir"... According to my professor, it can have different meanings. I think Jane is the heiress of something in the end, right? I really should read it again...

I don't remember any more dichotomies right now but I promise I will re-read the book and even look for my notes, that's an interesting novel to analyze.

illusion
Platinum Member

Postby illusion » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:44 pm

You know what? It reminds me of this Friends episode when Pheobe and Rachel signed up for literature classes and Rachel didn't read Jane Eyre and she had to tell the story in front the whole group and she said that Jane Eyre was a cyborg and she lived in a robot world? HA HA HA HA LOL how funny is that? :)

LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

hi:)

Postby LadyMacbeth » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:48 pm

I hate this part, too. This guy is selfish. Submission to God blah blah blah. He wanted her as a wife, so he could have someone to take care of him while he went on his mission serving for God

No. He didn't want her as his wife. At least it isn't anything about it. But I have read only a simplified version.
But besides I don't think a bad marriage can be better than no marraige at all. I think some people simply prefer doing different things than running from one court into another and fight for money, kids etc. It makes our life more stressful and we can finish it faster because of such a mess:(

I don't remember any more dichotomies right now but I promise I will re-read the book and even look for my notes, that's an interesting novel to analyze.

Wow - this professor of your had really a great imagination. But apart from that... what I like in this reader level 2 is that CDs are included into it and you can improve your pronunciation by intensive reading. Besides there are some nice exercises to each chapter. Really good things.
Only I cannot understand why 2 CDs are included into such a short book. Wouldn't be able to put all stuff into one CD? Just another stupid question of mine :wink:

Read you soon:)
LM

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Re: hi:)

Postby MissLT » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:34 pm

LadyMacbeth wrote:
No. He didn't want her as his wife. At least it isn't anything about it. But I have read only a simplified version.
But besides I don't think a bad marriage can be better than no marraige at all. I think some people simply prefer doing different things than running from one court into another and fight for money, kids etc. It makes our life more stressful and we can finish it faster because of such a mess:(

From what I remember he wanted to marry her (he didn't love her, just God, in my opinion), so they both could devote their lives to God. She refused it later on, though, for she found herself fallin in love with Rochester.

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:30 am

illusion wrote:You know what? It reminds me of this Friends episode when Pheobe and Rachel signed up for literature classes and Rachel didn't read Jane Eyre and she had to tell the story in front the whole group and she said that Jane Eyre was a cyborg and she lived in a robot world? HA HA HA HA LOL how funny is that? :)

Hahaha yeah that was fun... :lol: :lol: Last night I stayed up late watching the three last episodes 8)

illusion
Platinum Member

Postby illusion » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:41 am

Dixie wrote:
illusion wrote:You know what? It reminds me of this Friends episode when Pheobe and Rachel signed up for literature classes and Rachel didn't read Jane Eyre and she had to tell the story in front the whole group and she said that Jane Eyre was a cyborg and she lived in a robot world? HA HA HA HA LOL how funny is that? :)

Hahaha yeah that was fun... :lol: :lol: Last night I stayed up late watching the three last episodes 8)

omg me too!!! I love watching Friends before going to bed :D I sleep better after a good laugh HA HA HA :D

LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

hmm hmm hmmm

Postby LadyMacbeth » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:48 pm

From what I remember he wanted to marry her (he didn't love her, just God, in my opinion), so they both could devote their lives to God. She refused it later on, though, for she found herself fallin in love with Rochester.

Can you give me a chapter where I can find these words?
I would never ever believe Jane Eyre would have wished to devote her life to God. She would have to be a nun then! But she wasnot a catholic so how could she be?
Maybe she would have wished to be a nurse and help people or a doctor?
Where did you find that she wanted to devote her life to God? Personally I think it is funny idea. She simply had a very difficult life and was focused on earning money on her own instead of dreaming about any illusions - devoting her life to God including.
Whatever it means.

LM

LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

ps.

Postby LadyMacbeth » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:52 pm

Lennye, here is "Jane Eyre" on-line.
Give me a chapter, please, where she wants to devote her life to God.
I only had time to read READER level 2 but I hope to be helped by you with details:)
Thanks a lot:)

http://www.literature.org/authors/bront ... jane-eyre/

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:05 pm

Hold on, let me find it at Project Gutenberg. It might take awhile for me to find that chapter since it's been awhile.

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Re: hmm hmm hmmm

Postby MissLT » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:07 pm

LadyMacbeth wrote:I would never ever believe Jane Eyre would have wished to devote her life to God. She would have to be a nun then! But she wasnot a catholic so how could she be?
Maybe she would have wished to be a nurse and help people or a doctor?
Where did you find that she wanted to devote her life to God? Personally I think it is funny idea. She simply had a very difficult life and was focused on earning money on her own instead of dreaming about any illusions - devoting her life to God including.
Whatever it means.

LM

She did not wish, but she didn't really try to make choices for her life. I found her to be a submissive girl who was easily to persuaded in some parts.

When I said they both could devote their lives to God, I meant he wanted to marry her, so he could have someone take care of him while serving God. And he was trying to persuade her to serve God. I remember he said something like, what's better than the love of oneself to God. She was confused about her love to Rochester; therefore, she was thinking if going with John was the way to forget the past.

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:25 pm

This is in chapter XXXIV. I'm not good with Roman numeral. I think it's chapter 34.

This is the start of his intention.

"Jane, what are you doing?"

"Learning German."

"I want you to give up German and learn Hindostanee."

"You are not in earnest?"

"In such earnest that I must have it so: and I will tell you why."

He then went on to explain that Hindostanee was the language he was himself at present studying; that, as he advanced, he was apt to forget the commencement; that it would assist him greatly to have a pupil with whom he might again and again go over the elements, and so fix them thoroughly in his mind; that his choice had hovered for some time between me and his sisters; but that he had fixed on me because he saw I could sit at a task the longest of the three. Would I do him this favour? I should not, perhaps, have to make the sacrifice long, as it wanted now barely three months to his departure.

And this is his first proposal and her first rejection,

I appealed to one who, in the discharge of what he believed his duty, knew neither mercy nor remorse. He continued -

"God and nature intended you for a missionary's wife. It is not personal, but mental endowments they have given you: you are formed for labour, not for love. A missionary's wife you must -- shall be. You shall be mine: I claim you -- not for my pleasure, but for my Sovereign's service."

"I am not fit for it: I have no vocation," I said.

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext98/janey11h.htm

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:51 pm

I copied these paragraphs in Chapter 34 in the link you posted above.

"Forgive me the words, St. John; but it is your own fault that I have been roused to speak so unguardedly. You have introduced a topic on which our natures are at variance--a topic we should never discuss: the very name of love is an apple of discord between us. If the reality were required, what should we do? How should we feel? My dear cousin, abandon your scheme of marriage--forget it."

"No," said he; "it is a long-cherished scheme, and the only one which can secure my great end: but I shall urge you no further at present. To-morrow, I leave home for Cambridge: I have many friends there to whom I should wish to say farewell. I shall be absent a fortnight--take that space of time to consider my offer: and do not forget that if you reject it, it is not me you deny, but God. Through my means, He opens to you a noble career; as my wife only can you enter upon it. Refuse to be my wife, and you limit yourself for ever to a track of selfish ease and barren obscurity. Tremble lest in that case you should be numbered with those who have denied the faith, and are worse than infidels!"

How scary his words are! I was wondering if he was a real saint while I was reading this part. That's why it has such an impact on me compared to other parts of this novel.

LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

hi Lennye

Postby LadyMacbeth » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:59 pm

Thanks for your contribution. It is highly interesting;) I mean - Jane was a protestant so she couldn't be a nun. She could only be a wife of protestant vicar. Well... some of them were also very pitiful like we read in "Pride and Prejudice" (I think about Mr. Collins).

Now - calm conclusions about Jane's final choice.
Why did she prefer a bigamist more than a pious protestant vicar?
The answer - beacuse she was in blind love.
Another answer - she was still very sensitive cause she was young.
Third possibility - she helped her more than her cousins ( but can it be the truth? I am not so sure:(

Personally I would never ever tried to find a bigamist specially when I have just inherited a large fortune. So summing up - again crippled Mr Rochester was simply richer than healthy poor cousin so being confident in her own money Jane Eyre decided to find Mr Rochester rather than to marry a poor cousin.
AMEN.
Any other ideas?:)
I have one more idea of mine - better to read whole book with details than READER LEVEL 2. The last misses many plots.

LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

correction of some important langauge errors

Postby LadyMacbeth » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:02 pm

he (Mr Rochester) helped her more than her cousins.
:)

Return to “Books & Authors”