Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

A Scarlet Letter - everything about

Post by LadyMacbeth »

Hello:)
I would like to start a new discussion. "Dracula" was bit boring but "A scarlet letter" seemed to me a very interesting book.
What do you think about the minister Arthur Dimmensdale who didn't want to admit Pearl was his daughter and didn't want to marry Hester Prynne earlier? Didn't he love her or what?
What happened with Pearl when Hester came back to Boston as an old woman? How do you think?:)
Thanks for sharing your ideas in this thread.
L_M
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Why did you think Dracula would be a boring discussion? :?
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hi Lennye

Post by LadyMacbeth »

It is so nice that people can count on your voice in some threads. WhyDracula was boring? Maybe not boring...the end was somehow stupid:(. I don't know... I didn't get why Mina was carried to his castle, then they caught this Dracula in the coffin and hammered him into his heart... ups... I don't believe in any vampires. Vampires in London. But someone there could make some money on that. To put on Dracula's clothes and scare other people. In one of detective stories in the series about James Hudson and Elvira Eliot I read that one guy in London disguised himself as a vampire and bank car was robbed when guardians ran away and left all money outside the van.
Hmmmmm... in book about Dracula (written by Irish writer) nothing like this happened. I think reading this book was pure waste of time to me:(
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I thought Dracula was interesting since I have a habit to check out the information of a particular book I'm reading. I searched information about Dracula, and I was shocked to know there was a real person. I love mysterious stories based on the true fact.

About Scarlet letter, I have to read it again since I can't remember it. I read it in my junior year in high school. It's been six years I haven't touched the book again.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Okay, I'm reading it right now, and it's bringing back memories. This book is definitely interesting to discuss. Too many things to talk about. And I've heard it's kinda similar to another book called The Adulteress by Norah E. Dunn. I think I'm gonna give this one a try, too.
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

real Dracula?

Post by LadyMacbeth »

I searched information about Dracula, and I was shocked to know there was a real person. I love mysterious stories based on the true fact.
Well... can you write me where have you found such info? Namely that Dracula was real. As far as I know there were some persons in Transylvania who suffered porphyria (I am not sure about correct English spelling of this rare disease that has its ground in genetical failures resulted in many phisiological disorders like disgust for sun, hiding in forests, red colour of skin, long teeth, nails, hair etc. People who saw such ill,mad like people with long teeth surely must have been scared of being bitten by them etc.

As far as I remember porphyria was connected with changes in blood production - specially with changes within production of red cells.

So I am stunned than any vampire existed really in the meaning Bram Stoker portrayed his hero. It is characteristic bats surround vampires - bats that are also accused for many bad things like blood sucking etc.

So where did you find Lennye this real Dracula-vampire?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I mean there was a person named Dracula in Romania. All the blood sucking and stuff is just some horror imagination of country folks. I didn't mean it was real.

Dracula's biography
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hi Lennye:)

Post by LadyMacbeth »

well ...cruel Dracula then. Power-obsessed Dracula...

I think such stories (myths) like the one about Dracula vampire are always partly-true, partly-imaginary.
Most legends go like this.
People change many things and new story begins.

If I were philologist I would deal with myths and legends. Or with sense of humour. I would try to compare some myths/legends around the world (from different cultures) or sense of humour. It could be really interesting:)

Well... apart from these all high ideas of mine, however, I should pay more attention on the amount of language errors I do during writing on this forum.

This could do better for me:)

Read you soon:)
L_M
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Still haven't finished the book yet. It's been taking me even longer than the first time I've read it. I think I have no passion in reading anymore :cry: