Recommendation

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

User avatar
Cypress
Gold Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:48 am
Status: Other
Location: USA/Ukraine
Contact:

Five books you would recommend

Postby Cypress » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:57 am

Hi everyone!
I’m trying to make a list of books I must read. Could you help me? I would appreciate it if you could give me a list of five books that you enjoyed the most. Just a list of five your favorite books. That’s it :D

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6336
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya
Contact:

Postby Dixie » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:27 am

1.- The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown

2.- Angels and Demons, Dan Brown

3.- Digital Fortress, Dan Brown

4.- The Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafón

5.- The Lake of Dead Languages, Carol Goodman

:arrow: I'm not a Dan Brown fan, it's just that his novels were the first ones that came to my mind, especially #1, which I have read twice. By the way, there's one missing (he's got 4), Deception Point, but I didn't like that one.

Of course this list can be expanded, these are not my all-time favorite books... Many of them are from Catalan writers and I am sure you couldn't possibly find them even though some of them have been translated into many languages.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:59 am

All Harry Potter books. I've read them three times, and I've starting the fourth time; I'm on book five right now.

Edit:
1. All Harry Potter books.
2. Most Sidney Sheldon's books: master of the game, the other side of midnight, tell me your dreams, if tomorrow comes, the bloodline, a stranger in the mirror, the naked face.
3. Most Stephen King's books: cujo, the dark tower, it, on writing: a memoir of the craft, etc.
4. Most Nora Roberts' books.
5. Most Tim O'brien's books or Maya Angelou's.
Last edited by MissLT on Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cypress
Gold Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:48 am
Status: Other
Location: USA/Ukraine
Contact:

Postby Cypress » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:26 am

Shame on me because I haven’t read any book by Dan Brown :oops: . Shame on me again ‘cause I haven’t read any Harry Potter book :oops: . I definitely should read them.

LennyeTran, have you read the Lord of the Rings? Is it similar to Harry Potter books? Did you like it?

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6336
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya
Contact:

Postby Dixie » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:43 am

I did read it. It was soooo long... :lol:

Ksju
Silver Member
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:37 am
Location: Russ
Contact:

Postby Ksju » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:33 am

Just at the moment these books come into my head: :?
- M. Bulgakov Master and Margarite. One of the best (disputable) books not only in Russian literature but world’s legacy. And just one of my favourite books. Quite entertainment.
- Fowels Collector. Great book. Really maybe the best Fowels’ work. But too awful at the same time.
- G. Orwell Animal Farm. Interesting reading. And not so doom and gloom as all antiutopia.
- GB Show The Heartbreak House. Just my favourite play by Show!
- T. Capote Breakfast at Tiffany’s. …Just read it. I don’t know what to say about the book, don’t know WHAT I should put into words and WHAT words… :) Just nice book with good, pleasant aura. :idea:

User avatar
JainaSolo
Silver Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Florence,Italy
Contact:

Postby JainaSolo » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:45 pm

I like so many books that mine would be a neverending list! 8) But I agree with LennyeTran, you should read the Harry Potter books, they're wonderful! :D I think I've read them 4 or 5 times, and everytime I enjoy them like I have never read them before!Maybe you can also try Lord Of The Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia by Lewis (who was one of Tolkien's friends), and of course some of Dan Brown's books, especially The Da Vinci Code and Angels and demons. :wink:

User avatar
illusion
Platinum Member
Posts: 832
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:59 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Poland
Contact:

Postby illusion » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:40 am

1. Hamlet, the prince of Denmark- Shakespeare

2. Harry Potter (all the books)-J.K Rowling

3. Da Vinci Code- Dan Brown

4. Zahir-Paulo Coehlo

5. The master and Margarita- Mikail Bulgakov

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:10 am

Cypress wrote:LennyeTran, have you read the Lord of the Rings? Is it similar to Harry Potter books? Did you like it?

You know, I find his writing is too dry for me. Or maybe the movies, I think, are better than the books.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:32 am

LennyeTran wrote:All Harry Potter books. I've read them three times, and I've starting the fourth time; I'm on book five right now.

Edit:
1. All Harry Potter books.
2. Most Sidney Sheldon's books: master of the game, the other side of midnight, tell me your dreams, if tomorrow comes, the bloodline, a stranger in the mirror, the naked face.
3. Most Stephen King's books: cujo, the dark tower, it, on writing: a memoir of the craft, etc.
4. Most Nora Roberts' books.
5. Most Tim O'brien's books or Maya Angelou's.

Actually, change Nora Roberts to Amy Tan. I like Amy's books better.

User avatar
Cypress
Gold Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:48 am
Status: Other
Location: USA/Ukraine
Contact:

Postby Cypress » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:44 am

illusion wrote:

5. The master and Margarita- Mikail Bulgakov


It's nice to know that people from other countries are familiar with Russian literature :wink:

User avatar
Cypress
Gold Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:48 am
Status: Other
Location: USA/Ukraine
Contact:

Postby Cypress » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:03 am

LennyeTran wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:
Actually, change Nora Roberts to Amy Tan. I like Amy's books better.


Amy Tan, isn’t she an Asian woman who lives in San Francisco? I remember reading a few of her essays in my English class a couple years ago. I don’t remember the titles, but the essays were about immigrant experiences in America. I found them very interesting because I could make a comparison to my own life and my own experiences as an immigrant.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:58 am

Cypress wrote:Amy Tan, isn’t she an Asian woman who lives in San Francisco? I remember reading a few of her essays in my English class a couple years ago. I don’t remember the titles, but the essays were about immigrant experiences in America. I found them very interesting because I could make a comparison to my own life and my own experiences as an immigrant.

Yeah, her stories are used to represent Asian-Americans in English classes in the States. She writes about how different it is to be raised in two cultures: Asian and American, how hard it is to identify as which one, etc. One of her famous stories is The Joy Luck Club. I think you've heard of it, right?

User avatar
Cypress
Gold Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:48 am
Status: Other
Location: USA/Ukraine
Contact:

Postby Cypress » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:41 am

LennyeTran wrote:Yeah, her stories are used to represent Asian-Americans in English classes in the States. She writes about how different it is to be raised in two cultures: Asian and American, how hard it is to identify as which one, etc. One of her famous stories is The Joy Luck Club. I think you've heard of it, right?


I think they mentioned this story in her biography in my textbook. But I haven't read it :oops: Well, I added it to my "must be read" list :D Thank you

I got quite a few books on my list. Thank you guys for your replies. And I'm still waiting for more

hereiam
Gold Member
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:30 am
Location: Poland

life oh life...

Postby hereiam » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:09 am

you are talking about your favourite books while in the meantime...Mr Collins proposed to Elisabeth and wasn't specially discouraged with her decline. On the contrary he found it her momentary lack of reason. What a story! She refused and her mother wanted to throw her out of house cause she didn't want to pay for her any longer! Well... what an affair! Imagine what talks were being done in local... shrubberies. Elisabeth Bennet refused to Collins and Mr Bingley left for London - for 6 months probably! Only God knows what can happen in the meantime. Sisters didn't tell their mother about whole letter Jane had received. Wise sisters or not? Who can know it.
Read "Pride and Prejudice" - a fact literature:)

Ksju
Silver Member
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:37 am
Location: Russ
Contact:

Postby Ksju » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:33 pm

Cypress wrote:Shame on me because I haven’t read any book by Dan Brown :oops:


Absolutely NOT!!! :shock:
There’s nothing special! Just usual boulevard novels. :roll:
It’s not great literature of great authors.

In most cases you’d better to spend you valuable time on books with little more thinking opportunities and life problems…

User avatar
Cypress
Gold Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:48 am
Status: Other
Location: USA/Ukraine
Contact:

Postby Cypress » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:53 am

Ksju wrote:
Cypress wrote:Shame on me because I haven’t read any book by Dan Brown :oops:


Absolutely NOT!!! :shock:
There’s nothing special! Just usual boulevard novels. :roll:
It’s not great literature of great authors.

In most cases you’d better to spend you valuable time on books with little more thinking opportunities and life problems…


So far, all the people I talked to about Dan Brown’s books either liked them a lot or strongly disliked them. I think it might be a good idea to read at least one of them, so I can actually have my own opinion.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:11 am

Cypress wrote:
I think they mentioned this story in her biography in my textbook. But I haven't read it :oops: Well, I added it to my "must be read" list :D Thank you

I got quite a few books on my list. Thank you guys for your replies. And I'm still waiting for more

Textbook? What book is that? I'm curious.

Ksju
Silver Member
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:37 am
Location: Russ
Contact:

Postby Ksju » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:06 am

Cypress wrote:
Ksju wrote:
Cypress wrote:Shame on me because I haven’t read any book by Dan Brown :oops:


Absolutely NOT!!! :shock:
There’s nothing special! Just usual boulevard novels. :roll:
It’s not great literature of great authors.

In most cases you’d better to spend you valuable time on books with little more thinking opportunities and life problems…


So far, all the people I talked to about Dan Brown’s books either liked them a lot or strongly disliked them. I think it might be a good idea to read at least one of them, so I can actually have my own opinion.



:)
Liked them a lot or strongly disliked… Hmmm… (Maybe people who is not so exacting to literature – like it, those who prefer good, real literature dislike it…) :lol:
For me indeed it’s not so interesting to discuss it. Just to make clear myself…
I’m not really against this book! Of course you may read it of you have a free evening. I spent one – and not so bad…
I’m just talking that we should clearly understand what kind of literature it is. And if there wouldn’t spend so big money on promotion of the book and you wouldn’t see it on every corner I just simple forget about the book on the next day! Like every other book of the kind, any other street detective…
(By the way I must confess I received a little pleasure reading the book - if we still consider it as literature – there’re no characters, no normal idea, and language is very poor. From this point of view it’s really uninteresting.)
Resemble average middling Hollywood action, just running, firing and explosions and nothing more. But it’s better to watch smth like this than read I think.


Just only hope the movie will be a little bit better. (anyway as there will be Jan Reno)

User avatar
Tora
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1156
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 pm
Status: Other
Location: Moscow

Postby Tora » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:57 am

Ksju wrote:
Cypress wrote:
Ksju wrote:
Cypress wrote:Shame on me because I haven’t read any book by Dan Brown :oops:


Absolutely NOT!!! :shock:
There’s nothing special! Just usual boulevard novels. :roll:
It’s not great literature of great authors.

In most cases you’d better to spend you valuable time on books with little more thinking opportunities and life problems…


So far, all the people I talked to about Dan Brown’s books either liked them a lot or strongly disliked them. I think it might be a good idea to read at least one of them, so I can actually have my own opinion.



:)
Liked them a lot or strongly disliked… Hmmm… (Maybe people who is not so exacting to literature – like it, those who prefer good, real literature dislike it…) :lol:
For me indeed it’s not so interesting to discuss it. Just to make clear myself…
I’m not really against this book! Of course you may read it of you have a free evening. I spent one – and not so bad…
I’m just talking that we should clearly understand what kind of literature it is. And if there wouldn’t spend so big money on promotion of the book and you wouldn’t see it on every corner I just simple forget about the book on the next day! Like every other book of the kind, any other street detective…
(By the way I must confess I received a little pleasure reading the book - if we still consider it as literature – there’re no characters, no normal idea, and language is very poor. From this point of view it’s really uninteresting.)
Resemble average middling Hollywood action, just running, firing and explosions and nothing more. But it’s better to watch smth like this than read I think.


Just only hope the movie will be a little bit better. (anyway as there will be Jan Reno)


Well. Miss Prosecutor! :wink: The language is not so poor as you want it to be, english version is just amazing, i must say russian translation is poor! that's a big difference!

And about good-bad litarature... every one considers it from his own point of view... Sure there is no need to talk about Dostoevski, wether he is talented or not... it goes without saying!
talking about modern literature (excluding beloved russian detectives of course...) not every new releasing books is worth paying attention on it, but Dan Brown is among those writers that i would like to read (if i have a spare evening :wink: ). I don't care if he has stolen the plot! the book i read by him i liked... and nothing more...

by the way... here is another one crazy-on-Jan-Reno... :!: :roll: :wink:

User avatar
Cypress
Gold Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:48 am
Status: Other
Location: USA/Ukraine
Contact:

Postby Cypress » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:28 am

LennyeTran wrote:Textbook? What book is that? I'm curious.


Sorry, can't help you with that. I took that class a while ago, and I always sell my textbooks the next day after the finals.


Return to “Books & Authors”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests