DO YOU LIKE HARRY POTTER OF J.K.ROWLING?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

HARRY POTTER: Half-blood Prince - HITS THE STORES!

Post by Shazzam »

What do you think!!!! :lol:
Last edited by Shazzam on Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: HARRY POTTER: Half-blood Prince - HITS THE STORES!

Post by Shazzam »

J.K Rowlings has just added another billion dollars to her fortune, if todays figures are anything to go by. According to news reports she sold 6.9 million copies of her new book in 24 hours. The book Harry Potter - Half-blood Prince!
I haven't read the book yet I was wondering if anyone has bought it and what they think.

I read the first book and must admit I feel it is more for teenagers than groups my age; but I did enjoy the movies.

What do you think? The critics are bagging it as long-winded and badly edited! A little bit harsh.

It would also seem that alot of Christian Schools around the World are going to once again ban this book from their Libraries. Some schools christian schools are going to go as far as banning children from bringing this book to school!!! My goodness...

What do you think!!!!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I don't like the books nor the movies. My cousin loves them, though.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

LennyeTran wrote:I don't like the books nor the movies. My cousin loves them, though.
They are extremely popular though! Most of the stores in Australia sold out within the first few hours of them hitting the shelves. All the kids got dressed up as their favorite characters etc. It was quite fun to watch.

I believe if it encourages young people to get away from the television or the computer and explore their imagination it can't be all bad!!

8)
waiting4sunny

wow

Post by waiting4sunny »

I like Harry. I'm waiting for the movie.
Ha, don't hate it! Enjoy it!
ozlemysticgirl

Post by ozlemysticgirl »

I like Harry Potter books however I cant say the same for the films anyway.Im looking forward to seeing half blood prince and Rowling deserves what she gets.First of all she has an unbelievable imagination and ability. :!: :!:
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Half-Blood Prince

Post by Shazzam »

Shera wrote:The Half-Blood Prince was great. Though I can't deny it became more sinister. :twisted: It veered towards the dark side most, if not all, of the time. But hey! I'm not complaining! It made the book more interesting. I had goosebumps all the time I was reading it! I guarantee that once you start reading, you won't put it down unless you're through because you'll want to hang on every word and know the next thing that'll happen.

The book was fantastic and really worth all the awards it got.
Hats off to J.K. Rowling! She made me a Potter Girl through and through... :wink:
I haven't read the book and I was just wondering (as you have read it). Would you put an age recommendation on this book, as you mentioned that it is quite dark. Obviously it would not be suitable for children under the age of 12. What do you think?
:o :idea:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

shazzam1452 wrote: Obviously it would not be suitable for children under the age of 12. What do you think?
They can read book 1 to 3, but I don't think they can't read book 4 to 6 since those books are really thick. Each of them is almost a thousand pages, and I'm not saying that kids under age 12 are slow; it's just that it's too much for them to read. It would take them weeks to finish a book. If any of them is patient enough, I think it's suitable then. I would recommend them to read. In fact, I'm gonna buy the whole case to keep them as a collection, for books like them are hard to find, I must say. Her writing style is amazingly easy to understand, vivid descriptions, emotions are complex but good and evil are recognizably shown, responsibility, etc. And one plus thing, I've been having discussions with my cousins about the books for fun 8) .
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

LennyeTran wrote:
shazzam1452 wrote: Obviously it would not be suitable for children under the age of 12. What do you think?
They can read book 1 to 3, but I don't think they can't read book 4 to 6 since those books are really thick. Each of them is almost a thousand pages, and I'm not saying that kids under age 12 are slow; it's just that it's too much for them to read. It would take them weeks to finish a book. If any of them is patient enough, I think it's suitable then. I would recommend them to read. In fact, I'm gonna buy the whole case to keep them as a collection, for books like them are hard to find, I must say. Her writing style is amazingly easy to understand, vivid descriptions, emotions are complex but good and evil are recognizably shown, responsibility, etc. And one plus thing, I've been having discussions with my cousins about the books for fun 8) .
I didn't think you liked Harry Potter Lenny. :?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

shazzam1452 wrote: I didn't think you liked Harry Potter Lenny. :?
I didn't like the movies. And I read some pages of the first book, but I didn't like it at first. It was kinda boring to me since I was still under the effect of the first movie (putting some bad spell on me :lol: ). Then EC was down right in the time I needed to go to the library, so I just thought I would borrow those Harry Potter books to give them another try.
I was patienly reading through the first half of the book; it got interesting after the second half. Then I tried the second one; it was interesting enough. The third one was way better than the other two. It was so interesting that I stayed up all night to read its end and some of the fourth book :oops: . Harry Potter and the goblet of the fire was sure indeed the best book of them all, in my opinion. Now I know what my manager's daughter meant when she said it's not real but you feel as like it's real.
The way she leads you through the whole book is like you're walking with the characters and watching everything with your own eyes. You'll feel happy, furious, angry, helpless, etc. with the characters; it's how much you'll get influenced with how they feel. At the end, when you put the book down, you'll need a silent moment to absorb all your feelings. You'll then give it a little grin because you've finished the book. After that you'll scream, it's the best ending ever. :lol: :lol: :lol: And ladies and gentlemen, that's how I usually feel and do after finishing Harry Potter books.
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

you know what annoys me most? the whole year waiting for the book. You wait so much and then once you get hold of it you read it in few days and it's all over. I know it's a big event but to me it's a bit of a waste of time because we all wanna know how the book's gonna finish, don't we? I won't sleep peacefully untill I lay my hands on the 7th book...;p
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

illusion wrote: I won't sleep peacefully untill I lay my hands on the 7th book...;p
Re-read the books :lol: . I've seen in some websites that people re-read them for like three or four times. They analyze them and stuff for discussions. Really interesting.
Hey, one question for you? Which character do you like the MOST?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

:cry: Man, I've finished the sixth book, and it was one of the saddest series. It was Sirius in fifth and now him in sixth. Goooossshhhhh. Although I knew Dumbledore would die at the end, but I couldn't help myself from crying :cry: :cry: :cry: . I can't believe it. I just can't.
hedwig14

Post by hedwig14 »

if it's a movie, it would be a blockbuster.... well i know very well it could surpass the sales of the goblet of fire...
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

LennyeTran wrote::cry: Man, I've finished the sixth book, and it was one of the saddest series. It was Sirius in fifth and now him in sixth. Goooossshhhhh. Although I knew Dumbledore would die at the end, but I couldn't help myself from crying :cry: :cry: :cry: . I can't believe it. I just can't.
yeah, it's unbelievable and for some stupid reason i always thought that snape was on the right side coz dumbledore was so sure about it...and yeah, definetly, this book is darker...deaths, dark spells, traitors (as in real life)...i usually don't like the books that are so famous but j.k rowling is original and has a good writing style :)
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

trinity19 wrote:
LennyeTran wrote::cry: Man, I've finished the sixth book, and it was one of the saddest series. It was Sirius in fifth and now him in sixth. Goooossshhhhh. Although I knew Dumbledore would die at the end, but I couldn't help myself from crying :cry: :cry: :cry: . I can't believe it. I just can't.
yeah, it's unbelievable and for some stupid reason i always thought that snape was on the right side coz dumbledore was so sure about it...and yeah, definetly, this book is darker...deaths, dark spells, traitors (as in real life)...i usually don't like the books that are so famous but j.k rowling is original and has a good writing style :)
one thing for sure: the ending sucks so much :(
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

illusion wrote:one thing for sure: the ending sucks so much :(
i think she j.k rowling is getting used to endings that suck :( in the last 2 books she finishes with deaths! :o
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

trinity19 wrote:
i think she j.k rowling is getting used to endings that suck :( in the last 2 books she finishes with deaths! :o
So the ending of the 7th would be good since it's already 2 out of 3, right? 8)
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

LennyeTran wrote:
trinity19 wrote:
So the ending of the 7th would be good since it's already 2 out of 3, right? 8)
let's hope so... 8)
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

i read all the books in english. in fact i didn't even buy the last two in my naitive language....hehe
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

illusion wrote:i read all the books in english. in fact i didn't even buy the last two in my naitive language....hehe
I usually read books in English if they were from English writers and books in my language if they were not from English writers. Before, I liked my language's translation of those books better because I thought the translation was better than English's translation. Anyway, last time I tried to read Harry Potter in my native language to check on how they did the translation. And gosh, it was so bad. I was so disappointed. Now I have to rethink about other books that I've read in my language. I've been borrowing them in English to compare. So far, the non-English books in English's translation are pretty much better than the ones in my language.
Pixie

Post by Pixie »

I've never enjoyed reading Harry Potter, can't explain the main reason, because I really don't know. I guess it must be cool though...
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Pixie wrote:I've never enjoyed reading Harry Potter, can't explain the main reason, because I really don't know. I guess it must be cool though...
Did you read it yet?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I have Harry Potter ebooks 1-6. I can send them to anyone who want to read them.
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

LennyeTran wrote:
illusion wrote:i read all the books in english. in fact i didn't even buy the last two in my naitive language....hehe
I usually read books in English if they were from English writers and books in my language if they were not from English writers. Before, I liked my language's translation of those books better because I thought the translation was better than English's translation. Anyway, last time I tried to read Harry Potter in my native language to check on how they did the translation. And gosh, it was so bad. I was so disappointed. Now I have to rethink about other books that I've read in my language. I've been borrowing them in English to compare. So far, the non-English books in English's translation are pretty much better than the ones in my language.
hey Len, what's your native language?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

illusion wrote:
Vietnamese. What's up?
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

LennyeTran wrote:
illusion wrote:
Vietnamese. What's up?
nothing, just wondering cos you speak such a perfect english 8)
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

When I read it in Estonian, I thought, that it would be nice to read it in english too, but... Estonian books I readed almost 2 weeks, then for english I need at least 100x more time. I think I'm too lazy for this.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

illusion wrote:
Thank you, but you should hear my English accent. You would laugh and think otherwise. :wink:
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

LennyeTran wrote:
illusion wrote:
Thank you, but you should hear my English accent. You would laugh and think otherwise. :wink:
maybe if I buy a mike then I'll be able to hear you and the rest of the crew :-) but I'm sure you're accent isn't that funny :P
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Butler called me helium girl, and Dixie laughed every time he did that. Are you convinced now? :wink:
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

LennyeTran wrote:Butler called me helium girl, and Dixie laughed every time he did that. Are you convinced now? :wink:
wow that sounds great :D :lol: :D :lol: :) :lol: :wink: Your meetings must be so funny... :)
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

It's all okay until she don't sing... otherwise if your life is close to your chest, RUN! Run fast as you can!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Hardi wrote:It's all okay until she don't sing... otherwise if your life is close to your chest, RUN! Run fast as you can!
:shock: You're not talking about me, are you? I don't think I've sung on Skype. Dixie's sister has.
xiangjing

more information

Post by xiangjing »

do you like "harry potter"?why?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I just read the first book and, contrary to what I thought, I like it a lot. Then I saw the movie. And that's all I know about Harry Potter, I've just read the first book and seen the first movie.

I found it original and I guess that's why I liked it.
nightingale

Post by nightingale »

Hi,
I'm a new comer in this discusion
Well, I've read this part after wating for a long time :)
Yeah, it's so wonderful!!! I can't find out any word to show my thought. :D
But I am also sad when Mr. Dumbledore died, and Hogwarts school has been closing. :( :( :(
What can I say about J.K.Rowling, the author? She imagines so well, we were keen on reading Harry Potter , forgetting the time :D
Now, I'm wating for the last one. I believe Lord Voldermort has to die because in the fight between good and evil, good be always the winner!!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote: :shock: You're not talking about me, are you? I don't think I've sung on Skype. Dixie's sister has.
I can't believe I didn't see these posts until today. Yes my sister is not as shy as I am. She's just nuts... :lol:
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

I'm so deeply beloved to lenny.. think that all nuts are lenny. Actually where lenny is? Closed into nutshause?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Hardi wrote:I'm so deeply beloved to lenny.. think that all nuts are lenny. Actually where lenny is? Closed into nutshause?
Yeah, I miss her too. Maybe she's got exams or something. Hope she comes back soon!
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

Interesting books.. Though they are children's books, I finished all those 6 books something about 10 days.. I think it was too much for 10 days.. I got Potter's poisoning.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

nightingale wrote: Hi,
I'm a new comer in this discusion
Well, I've read this part after wating for a long time :)
Yeah, it's so wonderful!!! I can't find out any word to show my thought. :D
But I am also sad when Mr. Dumbledore died, and Hogwarts school has been closing. :( :( :(
My cousin refused to read the book when she'd heard he died. She did not wanna read it even when I shoved the book to her face, pressed it really hard on her while handcuffing and yelling, "read the damn thing! read it!" but she still said no. *Sigh* Some people are just too disobedient :P :lol: .
nightingale wrote:What can I say about J.K.Rowling, the author? She imagines so well, we were keen on reading Harry Potter , forgetting the time :D
She's just won the British award for greastest writer or something like that. It seems like it's a pretty big achievement for her. 8)
nightingale wrote:Now, I'm wating for the last one. I believe Lord Voldermort has to die because in the fight between good and evil, good be always the winner!!
Actually, I don't want him to die, though. In fact, I don't any of them die. I wanted the whole thing to be a dream or a kid's fantasies. If this idea is too 'unrealistic', then I'd like Voldermort to change. You know, he'd become the good guy because Harry finally broke him down. They're different in spirits, but they share the similarities of life. And like any Asian movies we see about those stupid good girls who are too good that they don't seem to get mad at the evildoers. "Forgive, forgive, forgive" they always say. Gosh, they make me sick! On the other hand, it sounds pretty nice. 8) :lol:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Hardi wrote:I'm so deeply beloved to lenny.. think that all nuts are lenny. Actually where lenny is? Closed into nutshause?
:oops: :wink: Oh gosh, you're making me blush, and it's a good thing. I normally don't feel ashamed or embarrassed :lol: :lol: . And I've been busy, so it's hard for me to participate here. I saw this message last week, but I didn't have enough time to answer. Now I can since I'm not feeling sleepy right now.
Oh yeah, I'm gonna be near to the nut house, actually :lol: . I will work in the same place with 14 men as my coworkers. Talking about too many men here! My supervisor has warned me that there will be a lot of sex talk and cussing. Let's see how nutty it will be. Right now, it seems like there are plenty of nuts to me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
xiangjing

i think so

Post by xiangjing »

i agree with you. :D thank you.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Why do I like it? Well, it's easy to understand. It's still good and interesting even though the author doesn't use all the big words. It fits for all ages. It has nice plot, good imagination, love, friendship, good and evil battles, discrimination, slavery, etc.

I can't believe the book coming out next year will be the last one. :cry: :cry:
Masayuki

Post by Masayuki »

Actually, I did not read yet. I look forward to publish a paperback version.

I am a student, so I do not have enough money to buy hard cover version. Also, I do not want to read Harry Potter in Japanese translation version. Because I read the series in English, paperback.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I have all six of them in ebooks. Want them? :wink:
kakashi

Post by kakashi »

LennyeTran wrote:I have Harry Potter ebooks 1-6. I can send them to anyone who want to read them.
Hi Len, I have read Harry Potter 1-6 in our language, and i love them. I have ever read them in English. Can you share them with me? :)
Len, you have six oh them and you have read them? They are so interesting, aren't they? :wink:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Give me your email add. and I'll send the ebooks to your mailbox.
kakashi

Post by kakashi »

my email is:binbin_*******.com :) thanks so much :D