DO YOU LIKE HARRY POTTER OF J.K.ROWLING?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

illusion
Platinum Member

Re: Harry Potter novels AND vocabulary....PLEASE HELP ME?

Postby illusion » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:45 pm

pharmart wrote:Hi, I am not an English speaking native and I thought I could improve my vocabulary by reading the Harry Potter novels. What do you think? I want to improve my understanding of English by reading the Harry Potter novels. Will the words used in those books be helpful?

reading any kind of book in English is a great idea. It will definitely improve your understanding and enrich your vocabulary. That's how I always feel after having read something in English ;) I think the potter books are good because you can get a lot of everyday British English in it :)

khangminh

DO YOU LIKE HARRY POTTER OF J.K.ROWLING?

Postby khangminh » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:44 am

Harry Potter is a good novel.I like Harry Potter so much. It has a lot of magic.It is risky and it takes me to discover many exciting places. It shows me a lot of mithological animal.
HARRY POTTER IS REALLY EXCITED AND ATTRACTIVE.
how about you? Can you tell me your idea?

**Elena**
Gold Member

Postby **Elena** » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:50 am

As for me I read only first book and watched first movie and thats all! Enough!!!
I was not so impressed like you KHANGMINH, sorry!

Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Dixie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:47 am

**Elena** wrote:As for me I read only first book and watched first movie and thats all!

Just like me!

Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Vega » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:58 am

I haven't read any of the books. It's for kids!

khangminh

Postby khangminh » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:35 am

you are right,Xkalibur.I am just 13 and i love it so much. :D .But a lot of adult also love it like me.So you do not like Harry Potter,which kinds of novel do you like?

Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Vega » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:34 am

khangminh wrote:you are right,Xkalibur.I am just 13 and i love it so much. :D .But a lot of adult also love it like me.So you do not like Harry Potter,which kinds of novel do you like?

A lot of adults likes because they haven't grown up mentally, they are the same kids deep inside themselves.

I prefer realistic books..

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Hardi » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:09 am

It's so good to be able not to be grown up by mentally. I have read all potter's books, except last one. I will wait until they translate it and someone buy it that I can borrow it to read. It's no point to me to buy that book. If I could have kids my self, it would be different I could buy it to them. :lol:

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:17 pm

Xkalibur wrote:I haven't read any of the books. It's for kids!

That's what I used to think until somebody convinced me to read the first book. I loved it! I watched the movie right after that.

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Hardi » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:25 pm

Dixie wrote:
Xkalibur wrote:I haven't read any of the books. It's for kids!

That's what I used to think until somebody convinced me to read the first book. I loved it! I watched the movie right after that.
The first book was the best one.. next ones can hardly be good as first. Because they are continues of the first one, they stay always: second, third and.. etc. But movie was only first one that was good. next ones I even did not watch.

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:23 pm

Nuh huh, the fifth HP is the best one, to me. And evidently, the fifth one got sold the most; 200-300-something millions books were sold.

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Hardi » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:30 pm

LennyeTran wrote:Nuh huh, the fifth HP is the best one, to me. And evidently, the fifth one got sold the most; 200-300-something millions books were sold.
Fifth one was worst.

YAYO

Postby YAYO » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:09 am

By all means Harry to poter is one of best books than I have written in this world, the problem occurs when they made the films, I personally likes but the books, I believe that they are better.

jmiya

Postby jmiya » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:20 pm

I I agree with Yayo...the books are better than the movie. I had read all the Potter book except the last one, and I must say its a cool and wonderful... im looking forward in reading the last and hope to be the best of Harry Potter series

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Hardi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:05 pm

I don't care about Potter guy, if he will die or not. He's a stupid kid anyway. I'm interested about Severus Snape. He's most interesting character in that book.

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:01 am

Hardi wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:Nuh huh, the fifth HP is the best one, to me. And evidently, the fifth one got sold the most; 200-300-something millions books were sold.
Fifth one was worst.

You didn't read it, then. I believe the seventh surpassed the fifth's record because it's the last book. I'm not saying it's not good; it is good. However, the epilogue just killed it. I wished she wouldn't have soften it up.

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:03 am

Hardi wrote:I don't care about Potter guy, if he will die or not. He's a stupid kid anyway. I'm interested about Severus Snape. He's most interesting character in that book.

I've always believed he was a good guy, and boy, was I right or what! My cousins were mad since they had no faith in him as a loyal person to Dumbledore.

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Hardi » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:03 am

LennyeTran wrote:You didn't read it, then. I believe the seventh surpassed the fifth's record because it's the last book. I'm not saying it's not good; it is good. However, the epilogue just killed it. I wished she wouldn't have soften it up.
I did read it. But I'm really not sure what about it was. I think there was Dolores Umbridge right? ..But it was still worst.

Predin

Postby Predin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:27 am

Hell yeah, I like them. Actually finished reading The Deathly Hallows the day before yesterday and really liked it. The bad thing was I didn't remember what the previous book was about. I ended up kinda confused in some parts of the book because I had forgotten some characters and stuff about Horcruxes.

ERPS

Postby ERPS » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:24 pm

I already ended this book... and I loved it... every single part of it... I dunno why peple tend to say it's stupid and that it's for kids... hey... I began reading HP books when I was 11... is it my fault that it took so many years to be done with the whole thing?

And just pointing one thing out... Voldemort is so cool and great that only he could kill himself

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:40 am

ERPS wrote:
And just pointing one thing out... Voldemort is so cool and great that only he could kill himself

:shock: You amazed me. Tom Riddle was a sad soul that needed help. He could kill many people, but he couldn't kill a child who was protected by his mother's love.

Return to “Books & Authors”