Khaled Hosseini

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Khaled Hosseini

Post by Dixie »

Does anybody know Khaled Hosseini? He's a writer from Afghanistan. I discovered him about a couple months ago, when I bought his novel A Thousand Splendid Suns. I absolutely loved the novel and couldn't wait to read his previous one, The Kite Runner, which I am reading at the moment. They both are absolutely fantastic.

I was wondering if anyone else here is familiar with this author and if you have read any of his novels.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I read his Kite Runner. :L
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:I read his Kite Runner. :L
Hey Lennye! Why don't you tell me your opinion about the book? Did you like it? I'm halfway through it... I really love it.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

Are his books onlineable to read?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Onlineable, nice word :D

I don't know, uncle Bambang, but if they are, don't miss the chance to read them!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I borrowed his Kite Runner eaudiobook from my netlibrary months ago. It was a strange feeling to listen to him narrating his own book. Nonetheless, the book was nice to hear. It has a vivid image of different cultures that I like. And one thing I found it very disturbing is that there are people who sympathize with Hitler. Those people never turn out to be good, and this story kinda proved me right.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:I borrowed his Kite Runner eaudiobook from my netlibrary months ago. It was a strange feeling to listen to him narrating his own book. Nonetheless, the book was nice to hear. It has a vivid image of different cultures that I like. And one thing I found it very disturbing is that there are people who sympathize with Hitler. Those people never turn out to be good, and this story kinda proved me right.
I would love to hear him narrating his book!

I'm really enjoying it. It gives me so many different feelings... anger, sadness, sometimes happiness... it's really amazing. I'm definitely becoming a fan of Khaled Hosseini's work :D
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Khaled Hosseini

Post by Bambang »

And I think the upcoming "A Thousand Splendid Suns" movie is gonna be splendid. Can't wait to watch, really.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:I borrowed his Kite Runner eaudiobook from my netlibrary months ago. It was a strange feeling to listen to him narrating his own book. Nonetheless, the book was nice to hear. It has a vivid image of different cultures that I like. And one thing I found it very disturbing is that there are people who sympathize with Hitler. Those people never turn out to be good, and this story kinda proved me right.

I'm really enjoying it. It gives me so many different feelings... anger, sadness, sometimes happiness... it's really amazing. I'm definitely becoming a fan of Khaled Hosseini's work :D
What part are you on right now? Are you done with it yet?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

bambang wrote:And I think the upcoming "A Thousand Splendid Suns" movie is gonna be splendid. Can't wait to watch, really.
A movie? I had no idea!!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote: What part are you on right now? Are you done with it yet?
Amir is back home looking for Hassan's son!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

So you're almost done, then. How did you feel when you knew about the truth of Haasan's family background?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:So you're almost done, then. How did you feel when you knew about the truth of Haasan's family background?
My first thought was: "Typical!" :lol: :lol:

I always feel sorry for Hassan. Always a servant, loyal to his master, too loyal. I was angry at Amir for being so spoiled and coward, for not helping Hassan when he was being raped and so on.

Now Amir is back at his old house, taking a walk through it and remembering his childhood.

Can't wait to finish!!!
Last edited by Dixie on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Do you think he saw Amir was hiding? Every time I come across this book, this question always pops up in my head first.

And yeah, it's typical but I didn't really figure it out at first. I was kinda angry to see the way Baba was treating Amir (I'm a middle child. It's the middle-child thing, always trying to get the attention from parents since they don't have much, you know). I felt like he was like my mom, especially when Amir gave him his story and he took it with no interest. When I learned the truth, I finally understood why he was acting the way he did. I was kinda angry that at the end of his life he still didn't confess to Amir. He owed him that.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote: for not helping Hassan when he was being raped and so on.
The raping was kinda strange, right? I mean, homosexual act is a sin in their religion. This guy is the one who followed the Taliban later to punish any Muslim who they thought didn't follow the Sharia laws, yet he did this? What a hypocrite! :x
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:Do you think he saw Amir was hiding? Every time I come across this book, this question always pops up in my head first.
I think Hassan did know Amir saw everything. I was very angry at him for never telling anyone! And when I reached the part when Amir is told Hassan was murdered I was about to cry!!!! I kept the hope they would meet again eventually.

I don't know if Assef appears later on in the story. What a fashijasfdaksfdahohdsafasd!!!!!! Yes, you're right. And also, I think the nazis were against homosexuality. Then why did he do that? I don't get it.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote:
I'd love to send you the audio clips; however, you must have the library account from my city to get the book's copyright license before you can listen to it. The audiobook is usually expired after 20 days, and you can renew it only once. After that, the audio file is unusable, for it's made with digital rights management protection. This way they can prevent books from being downloaded free online without the authors's approval. Nevertheless, I can show you the link of his website. You can listen to his voice in one clip he's doing his humanitarian work. It's the same voice anyway. :wink:

http://www.khaledhosseini.com/hosseini-learn.html
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:Do you think he saw Amir was hiding? Every time I come across this book, this question always pops up in my head first.
I think Hassan did know Amir saw everything. I was very angry at him for never telling anyone!
I think I have to reread the book again for those hints since I'd prefer Haasan not to know Amir's presence at that time. It's devastating to see your best friend failed you on the loyalty moment, ya know. And people like Haasan, they place loyalty above all since this is all they have in them to be proud of. This would be a deeper scar for him than being raped by that frigging heartless monster who is a big hypocrite. Gosh, I hate people like him who think violence is the only answer. I just feel like beating him in the head with a baton... (oooopssie, no violence!) :lol: :lol:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I'm downloading his audiobook A Thousand Splendid Suns. I'll probably finish the clip by the end of this weekend.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I knew it!! I knew Assef was the Taliban!

I'm reading the book at the moment :lol:

Thanks for the link, Len!

I'm sure you'll like A Thousand Splendid Suns, although I think I prefer The Kite Runner so far!
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

Dixie wrote:
bambang wrote:And I think the upcoming "A Thousand Splendid Suns" movie is gonna be splendid. Can't wait to watch, really.
A movie? I had no idea!!
Colombia Pictures owning the movie rights is preparing the movie. The secreenplay is being written by Steven Zaillian.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Well, I finished last night. What can I say? I absolutely loved it.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote:Then why did he do that? I don't get it.
I think although some people are plain victims of brutal acts, they still think it's a part of their faults or they deserve it or something. This mentality is sad, but what can we do? They're raised to accept their fate. That's why I almost cried when Amir said Haasan had a look of a lamb at that time. And this is what Assef wanted him to feel.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote:
I'm sure you'll like A Thousand Splendid Suns, although I think I prefer The Kite Runner so far!
:shock: Really? So far I'm liking a thousand splendid suns better. Yeah, I know the story is kinda slow, but I think it's more interesting than kite runner. I've always felt outraged when I hear a girl is married into a marriage she didn't choose. To me, it's like slavery. Why can't people realize making someone do something out of their wills is a sin? If it's not, it should be. :x
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote:
A movie? I had no idea!!
A thousand splendid suns movie is still in production, but kite runner will be out this year, December 19, 2007. I think I will go watch it.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote:
Thanks for the link, Len!
You're welcome. Did you check out the ipod cast or something? It has clips of his stories (just several minutes, you know). His voice is hot, right? :twisted:
monaji
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by monaji »

I've just known him.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote: A thousand splendid suns movie is still in production, but kite runner will be out this year, December 19, 2007. I think I will go watch it.
Hey!!! The Kite Runner movie?? Oh my dog oh my dog this is so exciting! 8) :lol: I wonder when it will be released here, though :roll:

It's alredy on imdb, I also found this aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the trailer :!: :!: (which almost made me cry again). I'm so excited!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

They said Assef doesn't have blond hair and blue eyes in the movie. I wonder why.... :?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:They said Assef doesn't have blond hair and blue eyes in the movie. I wonder why.... :?
I saw he had dark hair in the trailer but I thought he did have blue eyes :shock: And why is that anyway?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I'm gonna assume that they couldn't find any blond-hair-blued-eyes boy who could act good enough to portrait him. I'm not even gonna bother with the racial issue right now. I hope this is not the main concern. His mother is German in the book, and she has no sympathy for Hitler. Assef is just a psychopath. I wonder if they would show him more or let people who haven't read the book yet know his personality. He's a main key in the relationship and fate of Haasan and Amir.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

bambang wrote:Are his books onlineable to read?
Try ebookee.com. You might find an illegal one there.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

LennyeTran wrote:
bambang wrote:Are his books onlineable to read?
Try ebookee.com. You might find an illegal one there.
Thanks, my friend. I'll try.
**Elena**
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by **Elena** »

Hello friends!
Today was lucky day for me and for these of you who havent read that books yet and wants to do it but havent opportunity to buy it or to download!
Today I got that books from my friend and can resent it to anyone who really want to read it! Just drop me a line with your e-mail address :wink:

OR try to download it here
http://rapidshare.com/files/67802603/Th ... Runner.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/67800467/A_ ... d_Suns.rar

If it doesnt work I will resent it :wink:

Best regards!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I bought The Kite Runner in London! :D (I had read a Spanish translation a workmate lent me).
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

How much? One question about the Spanish version, do they keep the characters' names in English or they translated them into Spanish?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:How much? One question about the Spanish version, do they keep the characters' names in English or they translated them into Spanish?
How much? 5 pounds, I think. There was a 2 pound discount.

Of course the names weren't translated, thank dog.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Hardcover? If yes, it's pretty cheap. If it's paperback, it's about the same price in the States. Is the tax expensive?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:Hardcover? If yes, it's pretty cheap. If it's paperback, it's about the same price in the States. Is the tax expensive?
Paperback, I guess (I wasn't familiar with that word :oops: , thanks pretty!), since it's not hardcover :lol:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Hehehehe for hardcover, you pay for the cover since it's fancier and thicker than paperback. The hardcover book is normally bigger than a paperback book, and the paper quality is way better than that of a paperback. I bought one paperback book back then and let my cousin borrow it for her flight to France and Italy (the Angels and Demons one :cry: I wanted her to trace the steps they had in the book. Unfortunately, she finished it on the way home. She regretted not to listen to me, as most people would be at some point in their lives LOLOLOLOL). And she gave me back a wrinkly, junky book after a month. I never wanted to buy paperback books again. :roll:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:Hehehehe for hardcover, you pay for the cover since it's fancier and thicker than paperback. The hardcover book is normally bigger than a paperback book, and the paper quality is way better than that of a paperback. I bought one paperback book back then and let my cousin borrow it for her flight to France and Italy (the Angels and Demons one :cry: I wanted her to trace the steps they had in the book. Unfortunately, she finished it on the way home. She regretted not to listen to me, as most people would be at some point in their lives LOLOLOLOL). And she gave me back a wrinkly, junky book after a month. I never wanted to buy paperback books again. :roll:
Of course it depends on how you treat the book... I've got many paperback books that are still in good conditions :D
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

:shock: You don't bend it? Or write in it?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote::shock: You don't bend it? Or write in it?
I try not to bend them too much! :lol:

And yes I like to have a pencil near me when I'm reading a book for the very first time but not many of them have interesting fragments or phrases to underline...

--> Maybe we should create a new topic?
**Elena**
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by **Elena** »

Hi!
There is site mininova.org with different movies and among them there is a movie a the kite runner
I have already downloaded and watched it!

Who havent seen yet pls do it worthseeing
BenM

Post by BenM »

The guy is talented I love his work I'm reading A Thousand splendid Suns and It's been great. His detailed description and the style of narration and not to mention the great language he uses in general all add up for a great reading experience.
a Must read for bookworms!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

**Elena** wrote:Hi!
There is site mininova.org with different movies and among them there is a movie a the kite runner

Thanks a lot Elena!!! I will check it right now!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

BenM wrote:The guy is talented I love his work I'm reading A Thousand splendid Suns and It's been great. His detailed description and the style of narration and not to mention the great language he uses in general all add up for a great reading experience.
a Must read for bookworms!
Indeed, a must read! I loved it... And I've decided I am going to read all of Hosseini's books :P
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Elena I'm checking and all the files are screeners...
**Elena**
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by **Elena** »

Dixie wrote:

Elena I'm checking and all the files are screeners...
Really? But I downloaded from there without any troubles
Lemme explain :wink:
Write the kite runner in search
then you will recieve few links
choose this one: The Kite Runner DVDSCR XViD-CAMERA in Other 27/15 695.52 MB 357 300 after you click you will get sign

Download this torrent! or use the Azureus magnet link
The.Kite.Runner.DVDSCR.XViD-CAMERA.3942480.TPB.torrent
but dont touch it before you have to download torrent there is info abt it under this phrase:
To start this P2P download, you have to install a BitTorrent client like µTorrent or Wyzo follow this recomendation and save µTorrent on your PC after it you can back and to download it:
Download this torrent! or use the Azureus magnet link
The.Kite.Runner.DVDSCR.XViD-CAMERA.3942480.TPB.torrent
After you save it on your PC open torrent and you will see there in left corner file go there and find phrase add torrent click and you have to take link with movie which you have already download and then click start and movie will be downloading
Oh! I hope it will help you, in any cases lemme know abt results and i will explain you again maybe via skype if you have it :wink:
Good luck darling!