what do you think of John Grisham books?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

BenM

what do you think of John Grisham books?

Post by BenM »

The Innocent Man is a great book but it involves trials and jury and law and all those fields. So if you've ever read any of his work besides the aforementioned then would you say he used the same style .I'm looking forward to check out some of his books and hopefully they are not like the Innocent Man . Any great books you've read for this author? I'd be glad to know about that
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: what do you think of John Grisham books?

Post by Tora »

I have never read anything after him, which is strange as I love the american litarature of the XX centuary very much. Probably the most weel-known for me is "the Firm" and only by it's screen adopted version :oops:

"the innocent man" seems to be a kind of biography to me - is it really so? it is a true story? if so, I may read it one day if I have such a feeling. What is a book about?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

My mom is a big fan. I've only read two books by Grisham, though.

One is Skipping Christmas, which I found fascinating because it's a satire about Christmas in the States.

The other one I read (just a couple months ago) was his new book, called Playing for Pizza, which I found sooooo boring! No more Grisham for me, at least for now.
BenM

Post by BenM »

Tora wrote:I have never read anything after him, which is strange as I love the american litarature of the XX centuary very much. Probably the most weel-known for me is "the Firm" and only by it's screen adopted version :oops:

"the innocent man" seems to be a kind of biography to me - is it really so? it is a true story? if so, I may read it one day if I have such a feeling. What is a book about?
The innocent man is a real story that took place in the 70s and 80s and the main story revolves around the main character Ron Williamson and how he was convicted of a crime he didn't commit i.e. the murderer of Debbie Carter.
The beginning of the story is interesting but then at about the middle the author narrates so much details regarding the preliminary hearings and the trail ( it took so many pages to write about two trials ). It's very detailed .
I don't want to give away here but if you're into mystery, investigation, courts, who's innocent and who is guilty kind of stories I'd recommend this book for you.

check out these links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Innocent_Man
http://www.amazon.com/review/product/03 ... ewpoints=1
tron

Post by tron »

Duh, I read the Innocent man more than I year ago, well it seems to be the only non-fiction book written by Grisham according to Wikipedia, the book maybe can be attractive to law students and aficionados, though to me it was a bit boring in some parts, but anyway I'm more of a fiction kind of guy, though it's also funny to read how barbarically bad the redneck cops and law inforcement in Oklahoma managed the case, funny for me, not for Ron Williamson, obviously, if he had ever had the chance of putting his hands on the book.

I've always been an anti death penalty advocate, and this book reinforced my posture.
AlexHugh

Post by AlexHugh »

John Grisham is a great legal thriller writer. The only problem is that, all his novels have similar plot and story. However, here are a few novels of John Grisham that I would recommend.
1. The Street Lawyer
2. The Firm
3. The Testament
You can read the review of best books of John Grisham from this resource.