Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

PowerEnglish

Post by PowerEnglish »

I am finally giving 1984 a read! I've tried before but could not get into it. However, it's a classic so I feel as though I am obliged to read it! :-P

I would be glad to hear how you found it and your opinions of it if you have already read it... Avoiding spoilers where possible!
-------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.power-english.co.uk/

For the highest quality British and American English
proofreading and editing services.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Meticulous

Re: 1984.

Post by Meticulous »

I've read it. Good book for reading. I like books of that kind although there are so small deal of it worth of reading. And there is always problem with time you have. Some of things from that book had (have) very real reflection in real life. Just think about country with communist regime as only government. And as I live in country that had in the past regime like that I sustained some things for myself. Country like North Korea can represent some staff from book in real life. It is always interesting for me read news from that country. It is like information from another planet. Although I have to say people in that country suffer from government.
MendyRed

Post by MendyRed »

What about China ? Decades ago, Orwell exactly predicted what's happening in China now
cinarr

Post by cinarr »

I read it in Spanish when I was a kid. Now I've got Animal Farm in English but I've read just the preface so far.

I think Orwell was talking about totalitarianism no matter what ideology. I see many stuff of 1984 in all places, even in those countries who call themselves "the free world".
JayAF

Post by JayAF »

Great book. I also recommended Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. Even though it is no a post-apocalyptic or distopia, why not having a go to Thomas More's Utopia?
Jay Atticus Fielding
Uniqueme

Post by Uniqueme »

I read it long time ago, a lot of people say that it is relevant to nowadays, so I' d like to read again anyway.
aviator-jeux.comAviator review