Do you like reading detective stories?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Hermione

Do you like reading detective stories?

Post by Hermione »

I love reading novels,especially detective stories.They’re fantastic.I also like writing some at my leisure,they make me relax(I didn’t publish one).Do you have any detective stories that you love so much and can’t forget?Is your favorite writer a detective novelist?Did you watch some detective movies?I’m looking forward for your answers.
wingshan

Re: Do you like reading detective stories?

Post by wingshan »

yes, i am very like detective stories. it is interesting and amazing. i can like a detective following the clue to find out murderer. i am specially like Japan 's type of detective stories, such as Higashino Keigo.
@Mitsuki

Post by @Mitsuki »

Try reading "The black cat" by Edgar Allan Poe 😊 You can also apply the Single Effect Theory that he introduced to us.😊
AmyWils

Post by AmyWils »

Yes! But I like when there is a romance in those books, too. Really liked Nora Robert`s books about Eve.
Shuaib

Post by Shuaib »

Yes I like reading detective stories and also movies. This is so because I aim to become a writer and a detective writer.
Leopard

Post by Leopard »

Since I started reading with Nancy Drew, I've always loved mysteries. It's my favorite kind of thing. None of my children read them, while both like fantasy. That's because The Cuckoo's Calling sat on my shelf for one year and I haven't read that because I can't get into it every time I picked it up. So I can't comment on that, therefore I didn't hear about Secret Sanction.

Sometimes chapters alternate between the antagonist and the protagonist and less of a question / answer research type is established. Many puzzles are things like Eeny Meeny or Tuesday Drop all the way back.
Reading novels is my passion and I love to read fantasy novels at kisslightnovels
Lexxisriennnl

Post by Lexxisriennnl »

Detective stories are one of my favs. They keep you excited till the last page and bring you the feeling of being involved in the action.
The best memories from my childhood are connected with them too.
NicolePan

Post by NicolePan »

I like reading detective novels very much! Following the clues laid by the author to find out the answers has trained my thinking ability and reading ability.
Education Shapes Future.Teaching in China, help others shapes a better future.
Angel S

Post by Angel S »

Yes but when I have time I might usually read my textbook first then have no time to read detective novels but I really should read more cause I think it can make me think much more logically.
Better Job, Better Education, Better World. Try to explore more about how to teach english in guangzhou
Gousin

Post by Gousin »

@Mitsuki wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:58 pm Try reading "The black cat" by Edgar Allan Poe 😊 You can also apply the Single Effect Theory that he introduced to us.😊
I like the story, even more of Poe's stories are quite creepy. But, not sure if you can call it "detective".

Myself, trying to finish "Sherlock Holmes" and his adventures. {-;
hazelcb

Post by hazelcb »

I love reading detective stories! I have read the Sherlock Holmes stories at least twice, and I'm sure that I'll read them again.
Gousin

Post by Gousin »

hazelcb wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:32 pm I love reading detective stories! I have read the Sherlock Holmes stories at least twice, and I'm sure that I'll read them again.
Well, there is also Hercule Poirot if you like Agatha Christie novels.
hazelcb

Post by hazelcb »

For some reason, and I can't put my finger on what it is, Hercule Poirot doesn't appeal to me. Lately I've been reading Kate Atkinson's series of Jackson Brody novels. Brody was in the military, then in the police force, and then a private investigator. Atkinson's detective novels are much more than that. She beautifully examines her charcters deeply so that we see all of them as unique, living, breathing individuals. I highly recommend her work--as well as her other novels, outside the Jackson Brody series. I also laugh myself silly over Janet Evanovich's Stefanie Plum novels. Plum is a bail bondsperson, so not actually a private detective, but she has to hunt down her reluctant "clients"--as an alternative to working in the button factory in her home town in New Jersey--and the scrapes she gets herself into are truly hilarious. I also highly recommend Anthony Horowitz's novels, in which he plays himself as a detective and biographer of a grumpy PI. Horowitz's books are often novels within novels, puzzles within puzzles, and you'll love the twists and turns that each book takes. Philipp Margolin also writes superb novels about a novice attorney who's often a sleuth. Oh, goodness, there are so many wonderful writers in this genre! These are just a few of my favorites. I love detective stories of all sorts.
valdis

Post by valdis »

I love it! The Strange Story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Robert Lewis Stevenson
I advise everyone.
Stamesko

Post by Stamesko »

Yes, this is probably my favorite genre to read, but there aren't many new good detectives coming out these days. Can anyone recommend any new ones?
When writing text or book it is very important to check it for plagiarism.I already know that you can find plagiarism checker with percentage https://fixgerald.com/ and they help with this difficult case,because often you need to check for plagiarism.
emilyparker

Post by emilyparker »

This is my fav genre of books. I just can't read something else. Well, I can, but I don't enjoy the same.
andyfibe

Post by andyfibe »

I'm not a big fan of detective stories, nut I still remember how we read them at our English lessons.
Lieut

Post by Lieut »

Hi Hermione!

I'm glad that you found a way to enjoy the English language through detective stories.

I love reading novels,especially detective stories.
I am not particularly a fan of detective stories but I do like action movies that require thought and have an interesting plot.

They’re fantastic.I also like writing some at my leisure,they make me relax(I didn’t publish one).
Good for you! It is wonderful when you enjoy a language enough to appreciate its literature and popular culture.

Do you have any detective stories that you love so much and can’t forget?
I appreciate the Nancy Drew collection and was able to read the entire set minus one.

Is your favorite writer a detective novelist?
Actually no, but there are a lot of great books out there.

Did you watch some detective movies?

Yes, actually, I was surprised at how much I liked Enola Holmes, which I stumbled across on Netflix, starring Stranger Things' star Millie Bobbie Brown.

I also recently watched Identity (2003) which included a talented cast with the late Ray Liotta in a pivotal role. It was not a detective movie, per se, but clues and plot twists abound so it has a mystery feel.

Good questions.
Are you a journalist?
:)
YOYOYO

Post by YOYOYO »

Personally I think that noval and drama books are more interesting then detective stories. However I also really enjoy reading detective stories. I find this genre very interesting and even fascinating. I believe we must reading as many books as we can , it dosent matther which genre .
Mr Greg
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Mr Greg »

Detective stories are a 'hit or miss' for me. The plot really needs to capture my attention within the first two chapters. Character development is also crucial.