The best books for English teachers

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

slevlife

The best books for English teachers

Post by slevlife »

Hi everyone! I'm really interested in finding the best English teaching books and course books, so I've been doing a bunch of research on them lately. Here are a few I'll call out:

Language Awareness
  • Grammar for English Language Teachers, 2nd Edition by M. Parrott
  • Learner English: A Teacher’s Guide to Interference and Other Problems, 2nd Edition by M. Swan & B. Smith
Teaching Methodology
  • Learning Teaching: The Essential Guide to English Language Teaching, 3rd Edition by J. Scrivener
  • The Practice of English Language Teaching, 5th Edition by J. Harmer
I've listed a lot more in this long post where I've included mini-reviews of the above, along with 50 additional books categorized by the language subskills they aim to help you teach, as well as 17 modern course books for British and American English. Hopefully this is helpful for some of you!

I'm very interested to hear your favorites as well. What books have helped you most in your own English teaching career? What course books have you used in your classrooms, and were they any good?
Ellen Wooo

Re: The best books for English teachers

Post by Ellen Wooo »

Thank you for sharing!
Better Job, Better Education, Better World. Teaching job in China
worklifeenglish

Re: The best books for English teachers

Post by worklifeenglish »

I highly recommend the Work/Life English grammar workbooks for all ESL teachers and students looking to improve their language skills. The books offer enjoyable and practical grammar exercises written by Elaine Kirn (Rubin), the most prolific ESL author in the United States, having written or co-written over 150 different titles. You can check out the website for free and paid ESL printable worksheets and ESL workbooks!