Left Handed eating

This forum combines the former Food & Drink and Health & Fitness forums. Post your ideas here!

Moderator: EC

/s/c/w/

Left Handed eating

Post by /s/c/w/ »

Hi, I'm 15 years old. I first met my Dad 2 years ago, but lately him (and his wife) been telling me to eat right handed (fork in left hand knife in right). Although I am right handed, all my life I have eaten left handed (one of those strange things I suppose!), and no one has had a problem with it, so of course this has come as a suprise to me and kinda' upsets me having to do it.
This has never been an arisen subject before for me, and wasn't sure if they were right and I had been 'let-off' being made to eat right handed so I asked all my family (mum, grandma, uncle, aunt...) and they were all very surprised that my Dad was telling me to eat right handed and thought it was wrong to make someone do so, and that left or right handed eating was not an issue, but my Dad would beg to differ. He thinks that people would think I hadn't been brought-up right if they saw me eating left-handed and that if I wanted to go far in life I would have to eat right-handed, Period.
I had a look on the internet about stuttering, because I had been told that being made to eat or write with the 'wrong' hand (the one you're not used to using) could cause stuttering, I found a few scientists backing that idea and showed my Dad and step Mum, but they dismissed that with an argument that a friend of theirs is left handed and was made to eat right handed and 'just got used to it' and doesn't have a stutter. But one 'friend' against a few scientists with valid research? Hmm...
So basically, because I'm young and they're both adults, they think they're right. (But I'm not giving up!)

That's why I would be very grateful if you could say your feelings and if you agree and know of an arguement, please say!

Thank you in advance,

Sebastian

P.S. I know, already posted this, sorry! But I need as many replies as possible.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Hi Sebastian,

Wow this looks complicated, especially since you've been eating with your left hand for 15 years. I don't think it would be easy to change that habit. If you want my personal opinion, I don't care what people says. You said that until now you didn't have a problem with the way you eat, so what's the big deal? This is what I would tell them. :roll: